Mechanic has an accident while test driving my car

toyota1986
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Several months ago i took my car to a mechanics to have my engine sorted out - they had my car there for a week. Recently I found out that while one of the mechanics was test driving my car they hit a pedestrian, and now the pedestrian is making a claim to my insurance company.

The pedestrian gave my insurance company a name that is NOT my name, but is either the name of the mechanic that was driving my car or a fake name the mechanic gave. I also have proof (from work) that I was not driving my car at the time of the accident. Now my insurance company is increasing my premiums and I am to lose my No Claims Bonus.

Is this fair? Shouldn't the garage the mechanic was working at have to pay for the pedestrian's claim? So far the mechanic's company has not admitted responsibility for this accident. Is there anything I can do to dispute this claim?

Yes. Bring in the police. Pedestrian v car = police.

Can't improve on that advice, if the mechanic was test driving your car then he should have been covered by his own insurance, not yours. He committed an offence if he wasnt

I'm surprised your insurers have not expressed an interest in laying off their liability onto the mechanic (who will be covered by the garage's block policy). There may be other issues - who repaired your car after the accident? If the garage, and at no cost to you you're effectively in the clear as it is the driver, not the vehicle that is liable.