• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Aequitas. Bookworm was asking for some case law yesterday.

Mulvey v. Secretary of State for Social Security

Basically said that deductions to income support made by the social fund for repayment of a social fund loan would continue after bankruptcy as they were never received by the benefits claimant. Therefore, once benefits hit your account they are yours and lose the protection of the SSA.

( http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199697/ldjudgmt/jd970313/mulv01.htm )

North Lanarkshire Council v Crossan

Sheriff Court of South Strathclyde, Dumfries and Galloway at Airdrie July 2007

I agree with counsel for the pursuers' submission that payments alimentary in nature may lose that character. The obligation to account for alimentary payments owed by the Department of Work and Pensions to the common debtor was discharged. The funds were paid into the bank and were available for the common debtor's use. She chose, for whatever reason, not to use them. They remained in her bank account and I do not accept the submission for the common debtor that the fact that they were not in-mixed with other funds makes any difference in this case. Once the funds were deposited in the common debtor's bank account she was vested in them. The nature of the relationship between customer and banker is then the relevant one to determine this issue.

The funds then, once paid in my view cease to he protected in terms of the legislation. The legislation in the modern statutes is clear and in my opinion the intention of Parliament was to protect what could be termed as the initial relationship being the obligation which existed between the payer and the payee. Once the situation moves to what is really the secondary relationship between banker and customer the protection is lost. The funds held by the bank are then arrestable and the common debtor's argument fails.

Edited by 008139

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh sh*te. :mad: I was just finishing a long post about these and hit the wrong key, and it's all gone. :mad:

I'll re-do it later, but for now, in brief, IMO: case no1 is irrelevant, as it deals with Social Fund, one of the few things which can be deducted from IS.

Case no2 is relevant, but only up to a point, and the most relevant to our situation with the bank is this one sentence: "The nature of the relationship between customer and banker is then the relevant one to determine this issue. " More anon.

*goes to bang head hard against the wall*

I was just finishing a long post about these and hit the wrong key, and it's all gone. :mad:

This has happened to me on more than one occasion. To see ones carefully worded response disappear into the ether is very disheartening.

Anyway, I cannot help feeling that you are on a loser on this one. Best not to dig yourself further in the hole.

No hole being dug at all. You miss the point of why I post on here: it's not "win" any argument. I get ideas, I toss them around for people to examine, think of something else more relevant, discard, tear apart if need be, if something good comes out of it for everyone, good, if not, back to the drawing board.

In the same way that in a sales contract, the moment a contract is deemed concluded is all important when issue arise (like in mis-prices for example), I feel that the issue here of relevance is the one I have highlighted above. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right... In my head, it's starting to gell together with the conflict of interest angle, etc... but for obvious reasons, I am not yet ready to discuss these in the open. If anything, the above caselaw is giving me another angle of thinking which is quite interesting. ;-)

Is there any news on this one? I have a case (the POC was based on this sites original draftings including the sec 5 pleadings) in an English Court where the Bank (in my absence in May 2010) obtained an order to strike out my claim but I have subsequently managed to have that set aside and my application (to have the earlier Stay lifted) has been listed for hearing in September.

Is there any advice I can take on board?

Is there any news on this one? I have a case (the POC was based on this sites original draftings including the sec 5 pleadings) in an English Court where the Bank (in my absence in May 2010) obtained an order to strike out my claim but I have subsequently managed to have that set aside and my application (to have the earlier Stay lifted) has been listed for hearing in September.

Is there any advice I can take on board?

JD have you started your thread? If not, you should get one started so you'll get the right help

Dear All,

Yes why has the QC's opinion been taken down, this was the most informative and pertinent posting about the present situation for quite some time? Anyone intending to submit a new claim to the Courts, would have been well advised to read the excellent opinion given, prior to submitting their own claim.

Carningli

Would anyone like to answer this one.........please ? :confused:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Why give your enemy the ammunition with which to shoot you? Enough said I think 8)

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

c'mon Booky, it's a fair question.
It may be, but does the answer really matter except to satisfy curiosity? ;-)

Random reasons I can think of:

copyright issues, out of date info, mistaken info, correct info but giving to much ammo to the other side as to tactics, info may be correct but at odds with someone else's, post/thread need cleaning up, link has been moved, etc, etc...

What people don't seem to get is that there isn't someone constantly on the site to do things, so it could be that it got taken down and the person who's done it will be doing whatever when they get back, not even thinking that people will notice. Next thing you know, someone does notice and start asking questions... and here we are. Like I said, I don't know, but I know that things on this site often take longer to be taken care of that us bystanders would like to. ;-)

Well... Bookies is suitably accommodated in a thong (something about the catapult effect I believe) :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi Bookie

Were you not once part of the site team? When did that change?

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

I thought that might happen, so I have a copy if anybody wants one.;)

Els

....Please....:D

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Hi Bookie

Were you not once part of the site team? When did that change?

Errr... I had to go look for the thread where it was discussed to check, and would you believe it, just over 2 years ago! :shock: Boy, doesn't time fly when you're having fun? :razz:

I thought that might happen, so I have a copy if anybody wants one.;)

Els

I have a bank charges case in the County Court which Nationwide were ordered to repay £18,000 2 weeks before the 'stay' came into force and Nationwide applied to the court for a stay in this matter.

I am not sure about how to change my Particulars of Claim. Can anyone help?

Also, could I get a copy please Elsinore.

• 3 weeks later...