Argos TV

nathan12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i brought a samsung 32in lcd tv last march 7th 2009. Last night i turned the tv on and it went pop at the back so all i get is sound and no picture. I went along to argos knowing that i still had a 1 year garentee on it. The problem ive got is that ive lost the recipt they gave me, ive hunted high and low for it but cannot find. The lady at argos told me that they would replace it if i have the recipt, which i dont, the thing is I know the day i brought the lcd and the time and that i payed in cash. But the lady said we cant do anything with out the recipt. surely they must have somthing on there system that will prove i brought it. I remeber filling out some forms i know one of them was for a tv licence thing.

Is there anything i can do about this. or has my tv just turned into a £350 paper weight.:sad:

Unfortunately Argos only keep a record of 3 months on the system most members of staff would use. I also can't remember the search capabilities of our other system, and whether it would be possible to find it from the date and catalogue number (Usually search by Date/Till/Transaction Number) something I will need to double check. (Would also depend if there were on that system at that time)

With regards to data capture for TV licensing this is not kept, and is sent to TVL, it would not mark which tv you purchased and would not be retrievable via Argos. (As far as I know, CS might be able to give you more details)

Might be worth phoning Customer Services who may be able to help, they might be able to either search on there system or find a resolution to your problem.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

the lady at argos said all i need to do is prove i got it from them. but im not sure how to. Also they must know were telling the truth. i mean who would go and make somthing like that up.

Edited by nathan12

the lady at argos said all i need to do is prove i got it from them. but im not sure how to it. also they must were telling the truth. i mean who would go and make somthing like that up.

You would be surprised at the stories we hear, a couple of weeks ago we had a lady say that she was given an empty box instead of a suitcase (Because two members of staff would not notice an empty box...). Unfortunatly as it is a nationwide brand, its not something specific to Argos hence the need for Proof of Purchase.

Customer Services are your best bet though :)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

yeah i didnt do the 3 year warrentee (stupid is that) I worked bloody hard to get this tv as well. 350 pounds might not be alot to most people but it is to me and it will proble take me another 3 years to save up for another one.

But saying that i did get an email back from argos customer service and this is what it says.

Dear Mr Towner,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your faulty Television.

I am sorry that your Television has become faulty.

All our products come with a warranty which covers against manufacturing faults for the first 12 months.

Please return the item, along with proof of purchase, which includes your order number, receipt or credit/debit card statement to your local store. Our store staff will be pleased to assist you further.

It is the customers responsibility to provide proof of purchase as we are unable to locate this information for you, if you are unable to provide this information then an exchange or replacement will only be processed at the discretion of the store Manager.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Wendy George

Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

For your reference the above reply is in reference to your earlier email ARG4935959X:

----- Original Message -----

Date: 04 February 2010

Subject: Customer Enquiry

Reason for enquiry (header) - Other Argos Products and Services

Reason for enquiry (specific) - Other

Comments - Hi i hope u can help me i brought a lcd samsung 32in tv last year on march 7th 2009. The problem is i was watching the tv other night and the screen went black so the only thing i get on the tv is sound now. I went to the portsmouth branch yesterday and they said they would exchange it for another one, the problem i have is that ive lost the recipt and cannot prove that i brought it from that branch.

I told the lady the day i brought it and how i payed for it, but she would not check up for me. there must be away someone can check to see if a samsung was brought that day and payed in cash which is what i did. My partner did fill out some forms that not sure what they were, maybe you keep a record of them. The forms were filled out by lorraine parkin.

Please could some one clear this up for me as it was a very late christmas present for my partner and our three children.

thanks

W.Towner

so i will go and speak to the manager on monday. im really hoping for the best. i cant just throw away 350 pounds like that.

Edited by nathan12

I am in work tomorrow, so will double check our computer system to see the searching capabilities. If your going in on Monday should be able to post up sometime Sunday for you.

• Haha 1

After looking into our system, whilst a search is able to be made by Cat Number and date, unfortunately it is unlikely that the store will still have this on the system. You can always try and speak to the manager, taking the date and cat number down, without further proof of purchase there isn't anything else I can suggest I'm afraid :/

Hi blitz thankyou very much for checking up for me i know the date when i purchased the tv but does the cat number change for this product at all or does it stay the same until argos stop selling the product. because i noticed the model code has changed mine is a SAMSUNG LE32A457C1D and the one in argos is a Samsung LE32B450C4WXXU so even though its the same tv samsung has changed the serial number. so would of argos changed the cat number.

The cat number stays the same throughout the catalogues. The store should have at least the last two catalogues if you do want to check. As the tv is 2 catalogues ago it may not be in the new one

Thanks ever so much for all your help blitz. my partner and i were curious about the lady with the empty box. What happened with her. what some people will try huh. heres hopeing for a good result tommorow.

The lady with the box, well whilst we were watching CCTV of the box being given to her; a member of staff from another retailer accompanied by a police officer arrested her for shop lifting. I think its safe to say she was not given an empty box (We did establish this after looking at CCTV anyway)

Great news blitz i went in to see the store manager, and was told he was on a health & safty course all this week anyway i spoke to the stock manager jamie and told him my tale of woe. Anyway he took my stuff i had printed out and said to me to take a seat and he will see what he can do, he was gone about an hour and when he come back to me he was waving my recipt in his hand :D.

What he told me was that he was the only one to have access to past transactions in that store, he had to go through 8 tills to find me. So it proves one of my points that argos does keep records of about a year ago maybe even longer. And these records can only be accessed by the store or stock manager.

Anyway im off tomorow to exchange my broken lcd for a brand new one

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

happy days.

I do have access to that system just didn't have anything to really test the length of time so asked one of my colleagues who mentioned the few months. Glad you got it sorted out though, but yes only a few people in a store really do have access to that system, and its good to see he spent the time looking through it for you :)

It is only with the new till system something like this has come into effect, the older tills only did keep a few months and no search function just a very long audit roll :/ If someone reads this and has paid with a quickpay machine, this still runs on the old system.

Edited by blitz