Marks and Sparks refund credit note

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Last December I took back a £39 skirt my mum bought me for Christmas and which I didn't have the receipt for (mum had lost it:rolleyes:)

Anyway, they gave me a credit voucher thing in the form of a till slip which was valid for a year. I was a bit miffed at the time as I felt it should have been issued in the form of non-expiring vouchers (ie the same as the money they had been paid), but anyway I didn't say anything as I thought I'd use it in the meantime.

I went in several times and did not find anything I wanted as our local M&S appears to be concentrating on the over 50's now and is pants for younger people. In about March I lost the voucher:eek:

I put it down to experience, grumbled to myself about it and then forgot about it.

Just after Christmas this year I tried on some jeans that I found at the back of my cupboard, and in the pocket was the voucher. Unfortunately I then got ill and was in bed for a couple of weeks.

About mid jan I got better and on the 16th I went to my local Marks to ask if there was any chance of them honouring the voucher given that it was only 2 weeks over expiry and that I had been too ill to get out beforehand. I also explained the lack of anything I wanted and the subsequent loss of the voucher.

The manager was asked but didn't deign to come and talk to me, she simply sent someone out to say no (and who was very off-hand as well).

Now aside from the fact I am hugely miffed that they have both the skirt and the money, I was irked that the manager didn't come and see me and that this other lady was bordering on rude.

I emailed Marks and explained again, adding in about the staff at their shop, and they wrote back saying they couldn't offer an goodwill extension, and did not even address the staff issue which wound me up no end.

While I completely understand that the voucher did have a full year for me to spend it, the circumstances were such that there was nothing to spend it on (due to their stock being suddenly aimed at a much higher age group), then I lost it (completely my fault), then I was ill (no-one's fault).

What I'm wondering is is it is acceptable for them to give a credit voucher with an expiry date in lieu of actual money? The money used for paying for the item did not have an expiry, so to my mind the refund they gave for it should not have either. I have paper vouchers from them for other stuff that have not got expiry's so I know they can do it.

Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuffed? At the moment I'm really irked as they are obviously a multi-million pound company and under £40 is nothing to them whilst it is a lot to me. I can't help feeling that as a gogw, given that it was only 16 days out of date when I managed to get in that they might have at least allowed me to exchange it for something that day. I also can't help feeling that they have had both my mums money and their item, so my mum has paid for goods but they have not honoured it (albeit in a roundabout way).

At the end of the day I do know that a year is a long time to use something, but I also know this just doesn't sit right with me especially given the circumstances.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

You can only really stipulate a cash refund if you excercise a statutory right such as damaged, defective or faulty goods. A refund/exchange under any other circumstances is at their discretion, and how they do so is also one of policy and not of rights.

It's more of an ethical point with regards to an expiry date. I would write a letter to their head office, specifically to their customer relations team, reminding them you are a valued customer who shops frequently in Marks and Spencer and that you would expect more from a large, well known and upmarket brand. Add in that you understand the point from the shop, however you write to them in hope that sense will prevail.

Etc etc!!!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Ah, that makes sense Chesham, thanks. It's still very annoying that they chose to use vouchers with an expiry date, but I suppose I should have argued that point at the time - didn't think I'd need to though as I fully intended using it in the time allowed:rolleyes:

I'll give HO a shot. Somehow given their stance on the two times I've asked I doubt it'll change but it's always worth a punt.

Cheers:)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Sometimes persistance can pay off, especially if someone at head office keeps receiving letters :D

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have had an issue with a Marks and Spencer Credit note v alue £41.50 printed on flimsy till paper. I went to use this and one of the numbers on the bar code is illegible. They have refused to honour it despite it being valid until May 2011. I wrote to customer service manager but they simply refused to honour it.

Hi all

Last December I took back a £39 skirt my mum bought me for Christmas and which I didn't have the receipt for (mum had lost it:rolleyes:)

Anyway, they gave me a credit voucher thing in the form of a till slip which was valid for a year. I was a bit miffed at the time as I felt it should have been issued in the form of non-expiring vouchers (ie the same as the money they had been paid), but anyway I didn't say anything as I thought I'd use it in the meantime.

I went in several times and did not find anything I wanted as our local M&S appears to be concentrating on the over 50's now and is pants for younger people. In about March I lost the voucher:eek:

I put it down to experience, grumbled to myself about it and then forgot about it.

Just after Christmas this year I tried on some jeans that I found at the back of my cupboard, and in the pocket was the voucher. Unfortunately I then got ill and was in bed for a couple of weeks.

About mid jan I got better and on the 16th I went to my local Marks to ask if there was any chance of them honouring the voucher given that it was only 2 weeks over expiry and that I had been too ill to get out beforehand. I also explained the lack of anything I wanted and the subsequent loss of the voucher.

The manager was asked but didn't deign to come and talk to me, she simply sent someone out to say no (and who was very off-hand as well).

Now aside from the fact I am hugely miffed that they have both the skirt and the money, I was irked that the manager didn't come and see me and that this other lady was bordering on rude.

I emailed Marks and explained again, adding in about the staff at their shop, and they wrote back saying they couldn't offer an goodwill extension, and did not even address the staff issue which wound me up no end.

While I completely understand that the voucher did have a full year for me to spend it, the circumstances were such that there was nothing to spend it on (due to their stock being suddenly aimed at a much higher age group), then I lost it (completely my fault), then I was ill (no-one's fault).

What I'm wondering is is it is acceptable for them to give a credit voucher with an expiry date in lieu of actual money? The money used for paying for the item did not have an expiry, so to my mind the refund they gave for it should not have either. I have paper vouchers from them for other stuff that have not got expiry's so I know they can do it.

Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuffed? At the moment I'm really irked as they are obviously a multi-million pound company and under £40 is nothing to them whilst it is a lot to me. I can't help feeling that as a gogw, given that it was only 16 days out of date when I managed to get in that they might have at least allowed me to exchange it for something that day. I also can't help feeling that they have had both my mums money and their item, so my mum has paid for goods but they have not honoured it (albeit in a roundabout way).

At the end of the day I do know that a year is a long time to use something, but I also know this just doesn't sit right with me especially given the circumstances.