Experienced Mac users?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just taken the plunge and replaced the endless succession of windows laptops with a MacBook Pro. I seem to have managed most of the transition fairly successfully, but I am having some problems with Mail.

If I reply to an email using the 'reply' button, where does the message I've sent go? It doesn't appear in my sent folder and no amount of searching seems to find it elsewhere.

If I send an email through 'share' e.g. in Pages, is a copy of that kept somewhere since they don't appear in the sent folder either? Since using 'share' to send documents to Windows users seems to be the easiest way to make sure they can actually open the document, I don't want to stop using it but I really need copies of stuff I'm sending.

For anyone who might be considering making the switch, I have plenty of 'user' experience with computers, but next to no technical knowledge and for the most part it has been dead easy to move files across etc (without any special software - the salesman told me I wouldn't need it) and after only a week I wouldn't even consider going back to Windows ever again.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just in case someone does happen across this thread, I've yet to find a solution to the missing 'sent' emails and have now come across another problem.

I've followed instructions to the letter in getting Mail to retrieve emails from all my accounts (I have three - one Yahoo, one BT and one Pipex). The BT account seems to work perfectly, but both the Yahoo and Pipex ones seem to bounce emails sent to me at random. Since both accounts are doing it, I'm assuming the problem is not with the provider, but I'm baffled since emails from certain people do get through, but others don't, and it doesn't seem to matter what sort of email account they're sending from.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just seen this thread and although I'm not an expert in Mac a quick google search came up with this. Apple Mail (Mail.app) not saving to Sent folder

Don't know if it's any good to you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried it, but the choices in 'use this mail box for' are greyed out, so it won't work, but thanks anyway.

Strangely enough, it hadn't occurred to me to ask on a Mac forum - any problem, I just go straight to CAG!

RMW

Macs aren't really my thing, but most email clients give you the opportunity to set up various rules and filters depending on how you want mail to behave.

It's not the ideal solution (since it should be automatically doing this), but could you not establish a rule whereby any email sent is automatically copied to a folder of your choice, in this case the Sent folder?

As I said, there is almost certainly a better solution, but this might fix it for you in the short term.

The 'bouncing' email problem and sent folder problems have either sorted themselves out or I've accidentally pressed the right button somewhere.

As usual, just when you think everything is OK ....

Emails to my BT account are now disappearing without trace, and the only way anyone knows they haven't reached me is when they ask 'did you get ...'. It seems to be only emails with attachments of around 20KB or more - no or small attachments get through fine, and I don't think it's the Mac settings since the same size attachments get through on other email addresses. I did think to try the BT forums first this time, but couldn't find an answer.

RMW

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what email provider are you using?

If it's a proprietary one suck a 'aBusinessName.com' don't post, but if its not then just post the bit after the @.

Furthermore, what kind of mail services are you using? POP or IMAP?

In this day and age most companies and email providers provide IMAP too.

You can check what kind of account t is by:

1) Click on -> System References (windows users can't see that  lol)

2) CLick on Mail Contacts & CAlendars in the third tier of the pref panel

3) CLick on the account in question

4) CLick the 'details' button

and you tell us what appears here? I/we dont need the personal details such as login etc.. but just the screen that appears as these can vary