A complex dismissal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Monday I was informed that I would be made redundant because costs were too high and the company was not going as planned.

I was worried they may not pay my final month there as they have a history of doing that with previous employees.

So on Thursday I sent an email requesting a redundancy letter outlining, final date of pay, and any redundancy payout I was due.

On Friday when I asked if I could get the redundancy letter I was informed by the same man who made me redundant that it was actually a termination of contract (even though I do not have one after being there for 8 months and asking for one on several occasions).

I am uncertain as to why they changed tack on the redundancy to termination of contract? (It was definitely redundancy and not a misunderstanding)

I thought maybe they are afraid that they did not follow the correct procedures for redundancy so they changed to termination of contract....?

I just want to be sure that they will be pay me at the end of the month. I am going to ask again on Tuesday for a letter confirming my last date of pay but really have no experience in these types of issues.

I am thinking that if they fail to commit in writing that they will pay me at the end of the month I will just leave immediately and seek other employment.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Right. First of all, you do have a contract with your employer. It might not be in writing (which it should be within 2 months of the start of your employment), but in the eyes of the law a contract was formed as soon as you agreed to start work there.

As you've only completed 8 months service, unfortunately they can terminate your employment legitimately, providing they give you notice (The statutory notice period being 1 week), and providing the reason is not one that would be deemed automatically unfair - unlawful discrimination/trade union membership/pregnancy/ various other statutory rights one has from the commencement of employment.

Can I ask, are you on National Minimum Wage, or something close?

I'd be surprised if they don't pay your final wage, they'd be causing themselves a lot of bother by doing so - Case in the Employment Tribunal / complaint to HMRC if you're on NMW.

Of course, you know these people better than I do.

Bear in mind; if you were to leave without giving them any notice, even though they've given notice to you, that might prompt them to withold payment.

It would be reasonable of them to give written notice of your termination though.

They have given me until the end of the month, which is cool but only if they pay me.

I'm on 25,000 so above minimum wage but not sensational.

However previously to my knowledge if the boss thinks the employee is no good he will just not pay the final month.... Do I risk it?

They are currently in lawsuits with 8 suppliers, and previous employees which makes me nervous.

I will ask on Tuesday if they have not progressed on the redundancy letter for a letter termination.