Sony PSP 3000 from Argos now faulty plus has manufactured defaults

tifo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Sony PSP 3000 from Argos in Nov 2009.

Last month it developed some faults such as "hanging up" (taking too long to read the disc and battery needs taking out and putting back in) and some buttons don't work properly.

After buying, i found out that these have a manufactured fault in the screen which Sony has no intention of fixing. I've written to Sony but have had no response.

I will be taking it back to Argos for a refund or replacement but i would like a refund as the screen fault will always remain on any PSP 3000.

What are my rights in this instance? If Argos won't refund can i chase Sony?

Thanks.

If it has failed completely then you can insist upon a refund. You have had the unit for less than 2 months. It seems to me that you have a good basis for a refund - especially if it is a documented fault. However you may need to enforce this by court action.

Be prepared to so so and don't threaten court action or any other action unless you are prepared to carry out your threat.

If it is over 30 days Argos will insist on either a repair or replacement (If its repairable that one first). If its within 30 days then either a replacement or refund. *This is just Argos' interpretation on reasonable amount of time, though note that if it was a xmas present than the staff should assume the warranty runs from that period so down to managers discretion to offer a refund on that basis, might be worth phoning customer services first!*

The screen fault sounds more cosmetic than anything, whilst yes there is an interlacing issue due to power saving and brightness control, but as far as I was aware this doesn't effect game play or performance, just a slight bit of ghosting when switching to a black screen etc. I wouldn't say it was a fault in need of a refund.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks for the replies.

The screen problem is not ghosting, that was the previous version (PSP 2000). On mine, the interlacing problem means white lines a lot of the time, not only when switching to a black screen or high speed gaming. I don't use the PSP but have noticed the lines on many occasions.

As for being repairable, as this is a manufacturing fault there is no fix for this problem .....

From one source :

Sony has admitted that it’s powerless to fix display problems on the PlayStation Portable 3000, which gamers have complained displays strange lines on its screen.

Scan lines appear on the PSP 3000's screen but not on the PSP 2000's screen. "On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000,” Sony states.

Sony's said it can't fix the problem. When Sony launched the PSP 3000 back in August, the firm stated that the 4.3in, 480 x 272, 16:9 ratio LCD screen would allow gamers to see brighter colours and a better-defined on-screen image in natural light.

However, Sony's since added that “scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the after images on PSP-3000”. The bad news for gamers, according to the firm, is that because this problem is due to the console's “hardware specification”, Sony has no plans for a system software update to fix it.

On the matter of the interlacing lines, it would be up to a judge to decide that this was classes as an inherent fault, and make the retailer in breach of contract. Whilst goods must be free of minor defects, whether this would be a defect in the eyes of a judge would be up to speculation. Retailers have certainly not withdrawn the PSP-3000 here or in other countries...

For the other faults it depends when it was purchased... you can always ask for the lower model (PSP-2000) however if its over a month I don't see the refund as an easy option. When did you purchase the item?

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

i won't be taking it to court, i don't want to take the risk .....

i bought it on 01/12/09 or the next day, reserve receipt says 1st and i think i collected around then.

so it was used for less than 3 weeks before faults came.

as for being a 'minor fault' the screen problem is well documented, as i am now finding out.

There is a difference between the 30 day money back guarantee, and 30 day acceptance period for faulty goods (Argos' interpretation of S35 SGA). Guidance has been sent to stores that xmas presents should be counted as goods being purchased on xmas day.

It would be down to CS or Managers Discretion on a refund for the product, imo you are entitled to one by rejecting the goods within a reasonable amount of time. (Again S35 SGA).

I would go down the route of it having the faults listed, as well as the product having a model wide fault, you could even chuck in you are surprised the product hasn't been withdrawn. Due to the screen fault, you are not happy with the product and it is certainly not of a satisfactory quality, as it is a model wide fault it is impossible to repair or replace, so you are entitled to your money back by both rejecting the goods (S35 SGA) and rescinding from the contract (S48C SGA)

As this is an argos post please take note of my sig

took the PSP 3000 back to Argos.

as they couldn't replicate the faults (i asked what shall i do when it goes faulty at home, make a video or take pictures for you?) they wouldn't refund the cash i'd paid. In the end we agreed the refund on a gift card as that was the best i was going to get i think.

they wanted to send it back to Sony but i insisted that since it's a manufactured fault, there is no use as Sony are not going to repair it.

it had gone up in price by £14 but i got what i'd paid.

did i do the right thing?

I bought a Sony PSP 3000 from Argos in Nov 2009.

Last month it developed some faults such as "hanging up" (taking too long to read the disc and battery needs taking out and putting back in) and some buttons don't work properly.

After buying, i found out that these have a manufactured fault in the screen which Sony has no intention of fixing. I've written to Sony but have had no response.

I will be taking it back to Argos for a refund or replacement but i would like a refund as the screen fault will always remain on any PSP 3000.

What are my rights in this instance? If Argos won't refund can i chase Sony?

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your rights are a NEW Psp-3000 with mods or and upgrade/refund from Sony.

If Sony admitted there were a problem, Argos would replace with simple Receipt view(they'd get new stock for each return)

This is a wholly unacceptable fault as it's inherrently peculiar to that model (i've seen it,and it looks cheap,on screen)and if it were a TV with flyback lines, anyone could rightly take it back to the place of purchase and get a refund, no shop would argue with that.

What I found has worked with Sony on this specific version of the PSP is 4 customers have been sent a PSP GO "upgrade"( on submission of an Independant Engineers report along with receipt sent Tracked Recorded Delivery to Sony Computer Customer relations with the console stating "Defective Components/Hardware")

Not one of the 4 people I know who got sent a Brand New launch PSP GO got an admission of liability but more a goodwill gesture letter with a load of literature about the new handheld citing this as a replacement due to low stock levels of the other model.

It's the nearest i've seen to admission that there is a problem as I think PSP 3000 owners will get(for now).

Don't forget to track your parcel in original Box and photo copies of receipt will suffice, you'll be surprised how many places it gets redirected to - enclose full return postage in stamps with the cover letter and cross fingers Sony aren't reading this.

There is a fix, but it invalidates warranty - quite backwards really-but one micro processor in the PSP-3000 does not sent out screen blanking instructions(black raster) to another chip in certain conditions.

This is a change in the value of a mini circuit mounted capacitor on the PSP-3000'S mainboard- it's too small to use conventional soldering irons on to remove and change.

Silence is often a good indicator of a known issue......

The silence from Sony from your letter is so rude, it should raise a flag as to how much they don't want to have to recall these- but they will have to if enough people get together-challenge the fact that it devalues the quality of the Expected Specification and cite that in NO documentation prior to purchase or Post Purchase were you informed by any means so you could purchase an alternative.

No user agreement states you must accept this fault in anything you have "ok'd" on software, but waiting will infer you can live with it

So if you don't want to send it off - find 25+ owners who hate this Design Fault and all sign one letter - which I'd be happy to provide tech details towards free of charge- A solicitors letter will cost you £45-00 plus VAT between all 25.

Sony do not ignore recorded mail nor do they ignore Solicitors letters

Chartered Electronic Engineer

Thanks Electriceel for the above post but if you look at my post from last week which is above yours, you will see that i returned the Sony PSP 3000 to Argos for a credit. There's nothing i can now send back to Sony.

However, i still believe i was entitled to a cash refund (i paid by cash) and the Argos credit means i am over £130 out of pocket which i need to use at their shop over the coming 3 years, so they still get to keep my money and if i lose the gift card, i lose the credit (and hence my money). As they refused to exchange or refund citing 'fault unseen', it was the best i could get at that time.

I can do a letter from a solicitor etc. but what can i achieve now?

Thanks Electriceel for the above post but if you look at my post from last week which is above yours, you will see that i returned the Sony PSP 3000 to Argos for a credit. There's nothing i can now send back to Sony.

However, i still believe i was entitled to a cash refund (i paid by cash) and the Argos credit means i am over £130 out of pocket which i need to use at their shop over the coming 3 years, so they still get to keep my money and if i lose the gift card, i lose the credit (and hence my money). As they refused to exchange or refund citing 'fault unseen', it was the best i could get at that time.

I can do a letter from a solicitor etc. but what can i achieve now?

--------------

I do apologise, I've been working nights and was sleep deprived and jumped straight into tech details of this recent result (new to this forum)

The credit note thing with Argos is second in annoyance to so called 3 year warranties - that only pay out once and guess what? you get paid in - Yep Vouchers

So You fork out £60-£70 insure say a PS3 for 2 years over the 1 year warranty and if it breaks the next day after 12 months mnfr warranty(and let's face it - do Argos ever send anything off for repair ?) you get vouchers , not cash.

You'd then think you are still insured - nope.

On pay out of vouchers your policy ends-virtual years and virtual money.

As you have accepted the vouchers now I don't think, unless you see a product recall from Sony for the mod within the time you'd have a warranty - you will be able to get anywhere.

Still something you really want may come right down in price in 3 years so stay hopefull

All the best

With regards to what Argos offered you, if it was in my store and I were in the same position I would have offered you the same thing. Unless I could see ANY fault present in which I would offer a full refund if it was before acceptance. Faults that can't be seen for such items are usually sent of to the manufacturer, this is to show that there is an actual fault with the item, even if they sent it back repaired you would still be entitled to the full refund.

With regards to the insurance, you have 45 days to cancel any insurance item with Argos. With regards to a PS3 insurance (and those over £150) you have UNLIMITED repairs for any for faults and breakdowns. If it is not repairable you should be given a replacement still keeping the insurance, if this is not possible the gift vouchers. None of this is hidden, if you don't like it don't buy it.

With regards to what Argos offered you, if it was in my store and I were in the same position I would have offered you the same thing. Unless I could see ANY fault present in which I would offer a full refund if it was before acceptance. Faults that can't be seen for such items are usually sent of to the manufacturer, this is to show that there is an actual fault with the item, even if they sent it back repaired you would still be entitled to the full refund.

With regards to the insurance, you have 45 days to cancel any insurance item with Argos. With regards to a PS3 insurance (and those over £150) you have UNLIMITED repairs for any for faults and breakdowns. If it is not repairable you should be given a replacement still keeping the insurance, if this is not possible the gift vouchers. None of this is hidden, if you don't like it don't buy it.

--------------------

Actually if you mean you work at Argos then you must know the insurance is sold at point of sale and policy is in very very small print- If it's the only insurance available there then I may feel its better than nothing.

it's not always insurance in the traditional sense we all understand like car insurance.

There are two kinds you do one one does expire on first repair/replacement- the distinction isn't clear until one needs to claim.

I like Argos , but the financial servicers side smells well whiffy to me- I'd never take the a storecard at silly APR per cent, yet im asked everytime i go and collect an order- this can only mean staff are on commision now, as It wouldn't be so scripted and robotic

The insurance should be labeled clearly replacement only for the type that cover a mobile phone, and the other A duration should be quoted- so after all -you are saying i have a ps3 for a full three years? If so i'm happy - but if i'm confused - i assure you others will be too

The insurance could be rebranded(perhaps as silver and gold)

I know The PSP 3000 has a design fault and understand that unless sony do a recall - you wont get restocked- pull one out of stock and compare it to a slim and light (predecessor) or psp GO - look at a dark picture go to light and vice vers on all 3- the 3000 will display flyback lines - its not supposed to.

You stock such a range of things that when things go wrong for people , in order for staff to stay sane they will need to disassociate to some degree, much like you don't see people in McDonalds eating thier own food- it becomes run of the mill, i expect.

Some Branches have better teams than others too

All this said my annual spend with Argos is usually over £6K

Edited by Electriceel

You will find a lot of staff buy things from Argos, and even get out the insurances for the products. I do work at Argos, its in my sig, I however will tell you if they are trying to fob you off, or if they are within the law etc. I do reply to most Argos posts but that's because I know consumer laws and if I can help you get a refund/replacement then I will, regardless of it being my company. I do believe we are much better than companies like DSG for such things.

I can tell you that staff are defiantly not on a commission, neither for insurances or argos cards. We do have targets however, and get mystery shopped on a regular basis. The mystery shop score makes up 50% of our bonus, so if we don't ask we don't get as high a bonus. Store cards can be useful if you know how to use them, abuse the 6 months interest free, pay it off within that period. They are not good to keep a balance on due to the high APR.

With regards to insurance, if you ask what its about then we can go into it, however we do have to get through a queue so its kept short, the onus is on you to see what your paying for, the information is yes small print, but your more than welcome to read this small print (and you really should) and you can cancel within 45 days.

There is two types Replacement Product Cover (RPC) which covers items up to £150, and Breakdown Cover (BC) which covers white goods and items above £150. The breakdown one clearly states on the front Unlimited repairs for lifetime of policy. Whilst the RPC one does not state it will end on the replacement of an item, due to the sales environment its not something your going to blast on the front, find me a company that will.

I hate insurances, I hate offering them, but when it comes to an Ipod, DS etc I do see the value in them and get them myself.

When it comes to saying if the PSP-3000 is in breach of contract for the scan lines, its until a judge says it is or sony admit/withdraw the line. Until one of these happen most retailers are not going to call it a fault but more of an effect of the new screen to improve (whatever the new screen improves). Things like the screen will need to meet some form of standard so if you can find a standard it breaches then something can be done.

Edited by blitz