NearlyDebtFree v A&L

NearlyDebtFree
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - I wonder if you can help me.

About 4 months ago I went £20 overdrawn on my A&L account (£150 overdraft limit).

Having not been at home during this period I came back to find that the £170 balance has been increased to £386 as a result of penalty charges levied on the account.

Do you think I would be better off paying the balance in full and then reclaiming the money via SAR / County Court letters or is there another way to talk to the bank about getting the penalties removed and getting my account up and running again?

Thanks in advance,

Hi all - I wonder if you can help me.

About 4 months ago I went £20 overdrawn on my A&L account (£150 overdraft limit).

Having not been at home during this period I came back to find that the £170 balance has been increased to £386 as a result of penalty charges levied on the account.

Do you think I would be better off paying the balance in full and then reclaiming the money via SAR / County Court letters or is there another way to talk to the bank about getting the penalties removed and getting my account up and running again?

Thanks in advance,

I'm trying to think what I would do myself if I were in this position and came up with the following suggestions:

Phone them and explain nicely that I've just returned home after however many months away at college/working away/or whatever to find that I'd unknowingly left my account overdrawn by 20 quid and unfortunately, not having had access to my account details in that time, have unknowingly accrued lots of charges on the account. THEN ask them [again nicely] if there was any way they could let me off with some of those charges, as it was purely an oversight on my part that caused it to happen and it has come as quite a nasty surprise.

They may say push off, or you may get lucky and they may make a courtesy repayment of one or two of the charges. Whatever the outcome, don't get shirty with them, you don't want to get into a slanging match; after all, you'd only be trying on the 'off-chance'.

Then, if I could afford it, I'd pay off the o/d so that the charges stopped.

But I wouldn't hang about on this cos those charges have a life of their own and can multiply like it's going out of fashion!

Chance of getting your money back by going through the claiming system is only likely at the moment if you are suffering from financial hardship.

As I say, this is only what I'd try myself. Hope it gives you some food for thought.

Good luck. :cool: