Malicious reporting to benefit fraud hotline

kitten1610
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a single mum of two and am on the usual benefits including I/S, HB and CT. I am now on my sixth time of being reported to the benefit fraud people. The first time it happened i panicked like crazy as couldn't understand what was going on as I knew I wasn't doing any thing wrong. The report was that I was working and not declaring - albeit that the social request my part-time wage slips every 3 months, which I supply with no problem. I had a compliance officer come out who was very nice and just put it down to someone being jealous. Jealous I asked! Who would be jealous of a single mum on benefits. But she assured me that some people are and to not worry about it. That was fine until the second time it happened. This time it was regarding me claiming as a single person but having my partner live with me. Yet again I had the compliance officer come out. I had to prove that my partner did not live with me or contribute in any way to my home. The third time I was apparently bragging about the fact that I was receiving way too much I/S and my ex-hub was giving me £200/wk maint! The compliance officer again came out and we called my ex who confirmed what he paid me. I showed them evidence of this and a statement was taken from me. The next two times repeated earlier allegations but every time I had a compliance officer come out. I told them that these allegations were all of a malicious nature and she confirmed that this seemed to be the case and put a note of my file that any further allegations were to be ignored. Last week I received yet another letter stating that a compliance officer would be visiting me, again. I have been reported again for working and not declaring. I find this all very stressful as I know I am not doing anything wrong and not being deceitful in any way. I'm just not made that way. What gets me is that the spineless person who keeps doing this knows that they can. Surely there must be some way I can turn the tables on them and get them done for victimisation or something as this is getting ridiculous. All of these allegations are false and I have proven beyond all shadow of a doubt that this is the case, yet still I keep getting visits by the compliance officer regarding the lowlife reporting me for things I haven't even done. How can they get away with this? Please, if anyone has had something similar then would be grateful to hear from you and what action was taken.

I'd get onto your MP, this is victimisation, it's probably the same person, it sounds like a vandetta. I suppose you could report it to the police. Have you got written evidence from the fraud people? the Citizen's Advice Bureau is another place you could seek help.

Most accusations come via the benefit fraud hotline, when the caller rings they dont have to give any of their details if they dont want to..

Sometimes they write in and of course dont give any details either about themselves..

This sounds awful, some spiteful person who probably has no life of their own and is jealous of yours. but I dont think you should put up with it.

You are correct in sending your wage slips in every three months so of course you are doing every thing right

I think you do need to complain first to the compliance officer when he comes out, then say you are going to make a written complaint and would like all of this stopped. If this fails I think you need to complain again to the department via your MP

Hope you get this sorted soon

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Thank you to you all for responding. You've given me some good advice as to what I should do. I will contact my local MP and see where that gets me. The compliance officer is coming out tomorrow so will also tell her that I am going to lodge a complaint as feel that there should be some sort of note on my file so say that if this person calls again, then they will be reported for this if they continue. Definitely right in saying though that they obviously have too much time on their hands and need to get a life instead of poking around in mine. I've got a pretty good idea who it is but obviously as they are so gutless they never leave any detals when reporting. Coward.

It is I agree.

If you have had these visits over a short space of time say twelve months

Then you do need to make a complaint straight away.

It usual goes to the buisness support manager at the BDC who deals with your claim.. Ask for their name at the visit.

I've just written via email to my local MP, Michael Howard, briefly stating what is happening. Lets just hope this is the start of the end eh. Thanks to you all and will keep you posted on what happens.

In the meantime, if there is anyone else who has or is going through same thing then please post a message. Be good to hear from you.

I have a compliance officer coming out tomorrow so will ask who the BDC is and contact them. No having ever had to do anything like this before, and hopefully won't again, need to know what BDC stands for!!!

Appreciate all the kinds comments and advice. Really is lifting my spirits.

Thank you all.

BDC = Benefit Delivery Centre. It is the place which processes your benefit.

Although they have to act if they receive an allegation, this seems excessive. It is good that it is compliance who are dealing with it rather than the Fraud Investigation Service. Compliance is basically that - when there has been a report and the DWP don't have a shred of evidence to it/don't believe the report is justified, compliance deal with it. If they thought it was anything more, it would be FIS who would take it forward.

What I would suggest is that you ask for the name of the BDC's police liaison officer - each department has a member of staff specifically who would deal with the police - usually a senior manager. I say this because you seem to know who it is that is doing this, and it may come in very handy if they have been harassing you in any other way if you need to involve the police at any point.

I had this carry on with my ex reporting me to Tax Credit. I understood they had to investigate it, but found it a tremendous intrusion when it was happening over and over again, and I was providing documents to cover the same dates that they had already investigated. Tax Credits are administered by HMRC, not DWP so the procedure may be different. I was told they would not release the details of the reporting person to my solicitor when I was trying to raise a civil action (interdict) but would release them to the police.

Of course the police may not get involved because they will consider no crime has been committed but it is ultimately harassment via a third party if the same person is doing it without just cause. Trouble is when they do not know who is doing it, when the report is anon. It's an abuse of the system.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 10 months later...

I've had a visit from a compliance officer this week, based on being reported by someone. Because my situation is complicated I assumed it was an easy mistake to make, but I later realised someone is being malicious. I looked up the data protection act to see if I am entitled under the law for them to send me the data they hold on me regarding the report - what was said and what source information they have - and I am. I would write, go see or even get a lawyer through citizens advice to insist on a copy of the data they have on you under the data protection. That way you can find out who it is and lay a charge of harassment. Under the data protection act they cannot truly guarantee that their source is truly annon. Good luck - wish me the same.

Hi, I think that unless the reporting person gives his or her details then the allegation should not be taken seriously.

It is because it is allowed to be done with out giving a name that malicious people can just have a bit of fun at every ones expense.

A funny thing happened some years ago when I was accused of fraud because the DSS believed my twin and I were one and the same.

Given that I never told the DSS anything about my twin, no need to, I was astonished. We were both on benefits at the time, both living in different parts of the country. She apparently found a job, got made redundant almost immediately (within six weeks) and reapplied to go on benefits which kicked off the fraud allegation.

My money was stopped and of course hers was denied with both of us getting visits. Despite the visits, benefits were not reinstated until I had enough and pointed out that officers had been out to see us both at separate addresses and started my own little investigation. To cut a long saga short, the culprit was unearthed – we had been issued with the same national insurance number somehow hence technically we really were one and the same person. And we’re not even identical, :jaw:

I've had a visit from a compliance officer this week, based on being reported by someone. Because my situation is complicated I assumed it was an easy mistake to make, but I later realised someone is being malicious. I looked up the data protection act to see if I am entitled under the law for them to send me the data they hold on me regarding the report - what was said and what source information they have - and I am. I would write, go see or even get a lawyer through citizens advice to insist on a copy of the data they have on you under the data protection. That way you can find out who it is and lay a charge of harassment. Under the data protection act they cannot truly guarantee that their source is truly annon. Good luck - wish me the same.

The trouble is the DWP allows anonymous reporting, and a SAR under the Data Protection Act can only force them to reveal information they actually possess. Also, I imagine there will be DPA disclosure exceptions when the information relates to the unconcluded investigation of a possible crime.

I think I agree with sj01 - I'm really not keen on this whole "report a benefit fraudster anonymously" thing. It's part of the snooping culture that's developed in this country and, as we're seeing from the stories in this thread, too open to malicious abuse.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 1 month later...

Jane Moore has actually been encouraging anonymous shopping to the Social in that hysterical comic " The Sun " ...East Germany here we come : - ( ( she literally said take a look up your road and shop your neighbours ...not that I'd condone genuine fraudsters

Do you know a benefits cheat?

Report them by TELEPHONE: 020 7782 1340 or EMAIL: benefits@the-sun.co.uk

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3091717/The-Sun-declares-war-on-Britains-benefits-culture.html#ixzz13zDr0HGZ

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3091717/The-Sun-declares-war-on-Britains-benefits-culture.html comic !! they think people are educationally sub normal

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3151179/One-day-One-court-16-benefit-fraud-cases.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3095552/Big-Issue-co-founder-John-Bird-MBE-backs-Sun-war-on-benefits-spongers.html Don't go on the game , you'll get shopped by some pervert that has to pay for it ....she was cheeky & greedy

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3058091/Sun-readers-message-to-asylum-seeker.html

Edited by Bustard