Clearing up debt to live happier.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, very shortly i will breakdown my debt to you all. But first of all, i am trying to clear it up as i have two kids to think about, and living with debt is not a very nice feeling, infact, sometimes it is sickening.

My partner is 20, i am 19, we've misjudged things in the past and different reasons account for different debts. I know there is no excuse, but i just want to be debt free, as i believe it will make me a happier, more free person.

Problems first began with Natwest Bank, they began charging me for unpaid Direct Debit payments on utility bills. This meant each month we were losing out on a lot of money. Bills weren't getting paid, and it made me make systematic errors in cancelling my insurance policy on my scooter for a couple of months, something i was later found out about.

We owe around £2000, okay, only a small figure, i hope to have it cleared up within 7 months. We have set up standing orders to our debtors.

So then, let me breakdown the debts.

Job Centre (Overpayment of benefit) - £800

Court Fine (Riding uninsured) - £373 (Figure stood at £573 last week)

Council Tax overpayment - £160 (They have reffered it to bailiffs despite my offer to pay (Bailliff sum stands at £280)

We owe £220 to our landlord as council took money from Housing Benefit

My partner owes £160 on her contract phone from two years ago.

We owe BT £180 as a result of unpaid DD

02 broadband - £40

Trying to claim back £1500 in excessive bank charges (Haven't included this in sum as i am confident, this is a long battle)

We are currently paying £10 p/w to JobCentre, our landlord, my court fine, and are soon to be paying £10 p/w to council when they take case back from bailiff, we will be paying BT too when they get back intouch.

O2 and contract phone will be dealt with in a different way, we will pay them off in full within the next two months.

We can only afford to pay £50 a week towards debts, we are also saving £60 a week towards the purchase of a new car, we recently broke into this money to lower debts substantially and have to start again. Hopefully we will be able to throw more money at it every now and again and have £1000 savings by end of January/Mid February time.

I want to be clear of debt by the end of March next year. We feel we take big strides each Wednesday when the money comes in and goes back out, i could just bury my head in the sand and forget about these, but to be honest, problems will only get worse and it will leave me with a horrible credit rating at the age of 25 when i really want to be in a position for a mortgage at that time.

I am currently at college and my partner stays at home with the kids. I will hopefully be a newly qualified teacher at the age of 25.

I would advise anybody in small amounts of debt like myself, to make offer of weekly payments, stick to them, and live more freely, because honestly, your life will be happier.

Any questions or advice needed and i will do my best to help anyone of a similar position.

• 1 month later...