Holiday Insurance Woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Many thanks once again for your comprehensive reply.

I mentioned the 200KG of accumulated possessions because I imagined that were I to be sent home that we would never get insurance to come back! Having said that, I would still feel able to complete the questions in most 'pre-existing' condition clauses because the two 'discovered' conditions have never required treatment nor will they as I have no intention of getting a medical opinion on them unless, of course, some complication arises.

Saw the Uro guy. Stone was passed although (news to me) there is another very small one residing in my kidney. I asked him, that if I was his US patient, would he consider that it required treatment. Answer was a definate NO. Appparently, small stones in 70 year olds are fairly common on CT scans. No other hidden nasties either. He was equally dismissive of the other scan findings. He is going to put this in his report along with the comment that he sees no need for me to return home.

I spoke with the Euro-whatsit rep in Canada afterwards who seemed refreshed by the news. I am hoping that this will put paid to any further pressure to rehab! I asked when I would see the $2000+ that I have already paid out and was told that I would have to claim that back in the UK when I returned. Considering the terms, this is odd as they say they will deal direct with anything over £500 or something. As maybe I said earlier, the original bill was $6300 and by paying on the spot I saved Atlas some $3500!

I now feel utterly exhausted by the whole experience in reaction to a months sleepless nights and inability to concentrate on reading, golf, conversation etc caused entirely by an Insurance Company's total disregard of a customer's position. Everything seems so caring and clean cut in their blurb. When things settle down I shall not only write a 'what I should have done article here' but flood the Internet with warnings and advice. I have already emailed 'askgill' of the Daily Tel with the story so far. I have never been concerned about cutting off my nose to spite my face!

I wonder whether Atlas and co check out this forum?

Excellent. With the urologist on your side, it's going to be very difficult for them to claim medical necessity to repat (REHAB??? :shock: Is there something you haven't been telling us? :-D:razz:)

In all fairness, the situation is made more complicated because of where you are. I have dealt with clinics from Harare to Majorca and from Salzburg to Phuket who would deal with travel insurance more easily than the Americans do. :-( Even in places like Florida or Vail where tourists abound, they refuse insurance and expect people to pay & claim. That aside, I understand it doesn't make your own frustration any less valid. (When my sister went to the US with a friend and the friend collapsed in a dead faint, my sister rushed her to ER... They wouldn't even look at her until my sis produced her credit card AND they'd checked it was good for a few thousand $)

As for whether Atlas check this forum... Well, you can always send them a link, I don't mind!!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to correspond with the Claims control Manager who not only listened carefully to what I had to say but dealt with the matter in a responsible professional manner unlike all the minions who had simply attempted to fob me off. Whether the complaint I filed had anything to do with this I do not know.

However, the Urologist's report swung the situation. They have now agreed to :-

a) leave my cover intact as it was before

b) to pay back the $2600 - the excess into my bank account

My advice to anyone that finds themselves in the situation I did is to :-

a) assume that anything in the US Medical system will cost you over the amount that you have agreed to pay yourself and claim later.

b) Immediately phone or get someone to phone the Emergency Medical Care number whatever the hospital's claims it's payment policy is.

c) Do not pay the hospital anything. Tell them you are in no fit state to do so and would they please send the bill. Let them photocopy your Insurance. Inform your credit card company that they do not have your permission to take from your card. Better still leave your credit card at home.

d) If you are sure the problem has been dealt with to the extent that you are sure it will not recur make sure that you have a medical report to this effect and resist attempts to send you home. Any other previously unknown findings that came to light during your treatment cannot affect the policy cover. Simply ask the examining doctor whether he thinks any of them require immediate treatment.

e) If you are getting the run around from minions in the Insurance Co. staff such as nurses who really haven't a clue then attempt to speak to the Claims Control Manager.

• 2 weeks later...

One pertinent point.

I had to sign a number of release forms for my previous records so that the Ins. Co. could grab them.

However, I signed no release forms for the medical info gathered here in the US except for one to allow release to my InsCo.

So, if I find that my NHS doc has received a copy then how much can I sue for?

I don't think you could. It is an integral part of your insurance contract that you allow the insurance to contact your GP, and whilst it usually is for the purpose of checking your PMH, there's nothing to say it can't be done the other way and indeed, GPs will often want the background info before releasing their own info.

Furthermore, the medical team at the insco would argue that any passing of info that way was for your benefit, communication between medical bodies etc... (and in my experience, they usually don't anyway :razz:)

• 1 month later...