No licence or insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys posting this on behalf of a friend, he took his wifes car for petrol and was stopped by police he only has a provisional licence and was not on her insurance. The car was impounded, she has it back now, he has no other offences but he is really worried what will happen. He realises how stupid he has been especially as he can drive and would of passed his test no problems. So what is the worst and the best he can expect. many thanks.:!:

Edited by dodger010

I don't think that helps!

He will probably be charged with driving with no insurance and for driving without being supervised. He could also be charged with not displaying l plates.

No insurance = £200 + fine, and 6 penalty points

No supervised driver = £ANY and 3 points

He could also be charged with taking the vehicle without consent (TWOK) or his wife could be charged with allowing an unsupervised provisional licence holder to drive and allowing an uninsured driver to drive her car - Can't have it both ways!

You cannot condone any driver who take a vehicle out on a public road, with no licence and no insurance, they deserve whats coming to them.

Imagine if an uninsured vehicle ran into you how would you go on then?

You cannot condone any driver who take a vehicle out on a public road, with no licence and no insurance, they deserve whats coming to them.

the police / courts are there to deal with the legal implications, as far as I knew CAG was here to offer advise and guidance.

I'll give laddo some advice, dont drive on a road without a licence and insurance.

These offences were committed in the knowledge that the above 2 items were missing.

End of story.

Hhhmmmmm let he who has not sinned cast the 1st stone.

Everybody makes mistakes. I'm sure at some point in your life you will have made a mistake that you probably regret.

The guy has made a mistake, got caught and will now deal with the consequences. I'm sure he will accept these as a responsible adult and then try and get this part of his life into the past.

The advice that you are offering isn't helping anyone

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

I'll give laddo some advice, dont drive on a road without a licence and insurance.

These offences were committed in the knowledge that the above 2 items were missing.

End of story.

Once again, I am sure the police have covered that area of your "advise" extensively so your reply has not moved the OPs question forward at all. In case you missed it whilst trying to read through that red mist in front of your eyes, the OP had one clear question at the end of his post:

So what is the worst and the best he can expect. many thanks.:!:

I am sure dodger010 would appreciate any actual input you have with regard to this specific question.

Another thing to consider is that the wifes insurance company maybe looking into cancelling her policy as she has knowingly let an uninsured & unsupervised driver to use the vehicle. As Im sure the Police would have been in contact with them to check insurance details.

Hi Dodger,

I cant offer you any advice unfortunately (unless I quote what Ive seen on Road Wars!). You might find this useful: Forum specifically for Traffic offences

FightBack Forums

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

A. I did not condone the actions at all. I completely deplore uninsured drivers. But this is a forum for seeking advise, not moral judgement.

B. I have been hit by an uninsured driver. One of the reasons I am now disabled, so take the moral hat off and think before you judge the OP or me.

Dodger,

Worst case scenario is - a disqualification period. Merseyside Police have had a long running campaign that has been well publicised - against driving without insurance . The magistrates tend to come down hard in such cases.

Sorry - Cheers - Scousegeezer.

just thought i would mention it

dont risk driving with out insurance,

tow fees

storage costs

fine

etc etc

24 hour temporary insurance cover costs 28 quid

i know, ive just used it

done all on line and printed off cover note

With regards to what he can expect:

If charged with having no insurance and no licence, he can expect a fine for both. Fines are calculated based on gross weekly income (regardless of weekly outgoings).

For no insurance, the fine will be 125-175% of gross weekly income, up to an absolute maximum of £5000. It also carries from between 6 and 8 penalty points, with the option for up to 12 months disqualification. The fact that he had never passed his test would count as an aggravating factor.

For no licence (or not driving in accordance with his provisional licence) the fine would be 25-75% of gross weekly income, up to an absolute maximum of £1000. This offence also carries 3 penalty points, but where two offences occur together, points are only given for the more serious offence. His licence will still be endorsed with both though.

On top of the fine he will also have to pay a 'victim surcharge' of £15, and possibly the prosecution costs (usually £60-85). The fines can be reduced by up to 1/3 if he pleads guilty at the first opportunity.

Insurance companies will need to know about the licence endorsements (IN10 and LC20) and typically these will more than double any insurance quote.

Yes he was driving passed police car when the car in front braked as he did the police noticed he had a brake light out. While i am back on can i just say thanks to everyone for there input and to 68904 he does realise how daft he has been and is normally the one shouting out what you have been saying he was trying to help his wife as she could not get out and it was only 500 yrds still no excuses.