Hard To Find Records - No Refund

bassl1ne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a DJ Mixing deck from Hard To Find Records Birmingham on 29th Sept. Once home I discovered that the unit is impossible to use as described due to firmware (software) issues.

I returned to the store for a refund 5 days later after talks with the manufacturer advising me there is currently no fix. The store said the are unable to refund because "they don't give refunds". I pointed out the sales of goods act, in particular not fit for purpose. The returns guy contacted the manufacturer and told me they said although there are issues with the unit it was designed to be that way and therefore they cant be touched by the sales of goods act.

Is there any way the manufacturer can claim a fault to be that way by design and therefore lose my consumer rights?

I purchased a DJ Mixing deck from Hard To Find Records Birmingham on 29th Sept. Once home I discovered that the unit is impossible to use as described due to firmware (software) issues.

I returned to the store for a refund 5 days later after talks with the manufacturer advising me there is currently no fix. The store said the are unable to refund because "they don't give refunds". I pointed out the sales of goods act, in particular not fit for purpose. The returns guy contacted the manufacturer and told me they said although there are issues with the unit it was designed to be that way and therefore they cant be touched by the sales of goods act.

Is there any way the manufacturer can claim a fault to be that way by design and therefore lose my consumer rights?

Simple answer to your question: Nope!

The manufacturer is NOT liable to you, but the retailer IS.

What's the retailer's legal name? Do NOT post commercial links.

Both parties are giving you a bunch of crap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

There registered office show there name as Jahsoft Limited. I'm a bit worried now, they seem very confident they are in the right.

THEY ARE WRONG!!!

If you want to panic, then I'll leave. I've had enough of fretters this week to last me 10 years!

If you want to stand up for your rights, I'll try to help. Let me know and I'll be back later tonight all being well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

Of course I want to defend my rights, I just don't want to waste my time if I have no chance of a resolution, it just seems to me they have found a technicality which would allow them to get away with this.

As it stands the store has the unit and my money and I have sent them and my credit card company the letter below, I also have recorded videos of the fault (or feature as they may call it).

On 29th September 2009 I bought a Denon DN-HS5500 from you for £479.00 which is not fit for the purpose made known.

I purchased this unit for producing DJ sets and scratching practice which your website and product documentation states this unit can be used for, I quote “whether your scratching, hot mixing or club mixing, this deck has more than enough capability to take your skills to the next level”.

Upon getting the unit home I realised that using the platter for mixing or scratching is near to impossible due to a firmware glitch, this firmware problem is well documented on the Denon forums and by ------ who is the Denon DJ Brand Manager, and as yet had no current fix.

Having spoke to ------ in your returns department he told me this was fine and to bring it into store for a refund. In the store I spoke to ---- who advised me he will not refund the product unless Denon admit there is a fault. He called me a few hours later to advise that although Denon admit there is a firmware issue it is against store policy to refund, and that ‘Denon can’t be touched’ by the Sales of Goods Act.

With these issues I am unable to use the product as intended as a professional DJ setup and I wish to reject the goods and claim a refund.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

I'll try to get to this in the morning sometime.

Update: I managed to contact the UK brand manager of Denon (the manufacturer) and he was very helpful. He told me he does recognise there are issues with this unit and told me he had already spoken to the retailer about my complaint and advised them to refund.

He said to leave it with him and he will be speaking to the store again to try and get this resolved without resorting to legal action.

Hi there,

let me know how you get on. I live in Birmingham where HTF are based and can put you in touch with trading standards. You can reject the unit under the sale of goods act very easily indeed. Keep us updated.

Good news.

If that doesn't happen within a week or so, please come back here and I'd be happy to help.

Edit:

Hi there,

let me know how you get on. I live in Birmingham where HTF are based and can put you in touch with trading standards. You can reject the unit under the sale of goods act very easily indeed. Keep us updated.

I would recommend against Trading Standards. In such cases it gives the most satisfaction and is best to sue. Also some TS departments are useless.

Edited by legalpickle
just noticed post by sequenci

Good news.

If that doesn't happen within a week or so, please come back here and I'd be happy to help.

Edit:

I would recommend against Trading Standards. In such cases it gives the most satisfaction and is best to sue. Also some TS departments are useless.

I work with Birmingham TS quite often, they are excellent.

I work with Birmingham TS quite often, they are excellent.

That's a rarity for any TS department to be able to be called "excellent". No Greater Manchester TS department is remotely any good!

Well today a refund has appeared in my account, no call from the store to tell me this but obviously they thought it best to back down.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

See..despite the panicing, at the end of the day it turns out you (and the posters on here were right) :)

Well today a refund has appeared in my account, no call from the store to tell me this but obviously they thought it best to back down.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

Surprise, surprise.

I would have liked to have them sued, coz they deserve it, but at least it worked out!

Searching "htfr complaints" on google seems to reveal that it is perfectly normal for these guys to refuse refunds and just generally bad customer service, also a surprising amount of comments about illegal record pressing.

It makes interesting reading, doesn't it?

• 4 weeks later...

I've had no end of problems with Hard To Find Records.

The two items I bought from them were both faulty and returned as such. Like you I was told that I couldn't have a refund and after a number of arguments I sent a copy of 'dummy' proceedings to them with an LBA.

In the end they did refund, but they really do put up a fight and try to bluff their way out of their obligations.

If you do deal with them and if you do have problems stick to your guns, they will eventually do what any decent store would have done in the first place

Mossy

• 1 year later...

Hello every body

:-)

i live in France (Paris) and in august i done the very bad decision of buying in HTFR

two monitors of 250 pounds (almost 300 euros)

one monitor out of order

i returned it (48 euros!!!!!!)

and they returned me saying that this monitor was find

i told them to verify before re-returning it to me

but the monitor is still out of order

since MORE THAN A MONTH they promisse me to collect this monitor

i am still waiting for Godot because three times nobody came

[ MOD EDIT - Please avoid defamatory language]

since two months i sended them many, many, many, many mails and phoned them but they don't answer

i don't know if a lawer can to anything.

(sorry for my bad english)

can you help me??????