About to buy a car with only the green slip, no V5. Advice needed on taxing?

numbpk31
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just won a car on ebay. It didn't state on the auction whether it had a v5 or not (i know i should have asked first). The guy is saying that he recently brought it cheap for the tow bar because it wouldn't start, he said the immobilizer wasn't working, but he has now changed this and put a new battery and is saying it's all working now ans nothing wrong with the car. Only problem is he hasn't received the V5 yet and only has the green slip, he says he will give us the green slip because the car needs to be taxed. I've done a paid check on this car and it's all clear. Not stolen, written off, financed, etc. I will also write a receipt with his details, my details, purchase price and car details, etc and ask him to sign it.

Can i tax the car with the green slip in someone Else's name and insurance documents on my name?

If not should i tell the guy i will come collect and pay when he get's the v5, he says he should get it any day now, he should be ok with this right?

Hi. You cannot normally tax the car with somebody elses name on the green slip. It depends on the person who runs the PO, how lenient he is. The address is unimportant as normally your insurance policy does not show your address. Are you sure the green slip has been written on? I have in the past tippexed over the name and re written it and many post offices have taxed the vehicle without question. Probably the easiest way is to go to your local dvla office with the green slip where you can tax the car and apply for a V5 in your name at the same time. There will be no fee for a V5 as you will be providing the green slip.

Or, if the seller's name is on the green slip, and he has insurance, could you not ask him to tax the car for you and you pay him the extra?

You must remember that taxing a vehicle on the green part will not produce a new V5.