Fighting my friends case with MBNA

genesco
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am helping my friend get her money back from MBNA, She is in alot of debt with them. she has offered them an amount to pay back each week, but they will not accept her offer, Now they have sold on her debt.

Can she now Claim back her unlawful charges from them,

Or does she have to get it from the people they have sold her debt to.

Please someone help!

You'd better tell her to be prepared for phone calls chasing what she owes. Have a look through the threads and note the posts about harrassment and how to stop it (I'm talking harrassment of a dozen phone calls a day). I think you write to the Advocates office.

But tell her not to let them get her down, and not to promise anything over the phone (like increased payments, or borrowing money from a friend). Just insist that all contact takes place in writing. Phone calls will not be accepted.

Very Tiring is right, the harassement will break her willpower.

Tell her to do herself a big favour, call them both from a call box, and say that she can't make a payment today but she'd like to inform them of some numer changes...

Give them a different home and work phone number, just make one up, try it so it rings dead and give them that. Also, if she hasn't got one already go and buy a pay as you go sim card for the mobile - give them that!

VT isn't kidding about the half a dozen calls a day, and they don't give up. Global Vantedge are nothing if not persisitent, and being from outside of the uk the diallers they use cannot be blocked by BT. When they do call, if the dialler cannot get a pick up from one number, it will try the next number it has on you. And they won't care that it can affect your work, or that the admin staff who picks up the phone doesn't know who you are.

In fact, why not give them the number of one of the advocates as listed in the who's who post? let's see how they like the level of harassement!!

Genesco, read the thread Sev v MBNA to get an idea of what they are like .... and then tell your friend to get her hard hat on and duck. There's nothing to be frightened of, once you know what's coming.

But do you need to prepare your own ammunition, and the first thing to do will be stopping the telephone harrassment. Sort out the numbers for the advocates' office and get ready to complain to them.

Now .... the first thing you need to do to get the charges back, is to find out how much she has paid in fees, charges, overlimit costs, referrals, whatever they call them. Has she kept all her statements, or will she have to do a DPA access request to get the info from MBNA?

If shes in serious debt and cannot meet her commitments it will be worthwhile speaking to a debt managent company, preferaby one of the charitabe trusts and not one of the charging companies.

I used payplan, i had to deal with vantage whatever theyre called. when they ring refuse to talk to them unless they confirm what its about. really pees them off because they cant tell you anything unless you identify yourself i wouldnt identify myself unless they told me who they were it was good fun. they stopped ringing after abit then payplan helped me out and the debt was resolved.

Oh and a decent debtmanagement company will deal with your creditors and stop the calls usually.

HTh

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

your right about the MBNAs constant calls they keep on and on at me untill i agreed to have an extra £66 taken out of my acct on top of my DD AT THE END OF THE MONTH but at the start of the next month i got another call from a very hard nose woman saying that the £66 wasnt paid and now they will charge me another £20 as it was late, when i said it wasnt my fault as it was comming out of my acc automatically and now i had no money left in the acct after paying all my other bills, basicly she said tough luck, i should have checked it had came out when they said it would ! i then offered to pay £20(from my little girls piggy bank) the next day but she said that was not good enough and HAD TO PAY £166 by the end of the month. As i told her i couldnt afford the 1st £66 how can i pay £166 ? her answer..."BORROW IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE !!"

1st letter to Abbey requesting statements 10/08/06

Reply from Abbey..Sorry on Microfiche..cant do 18/08/06

2nd letter to Abbey Microfiche argument letter R/D 23/08/06

Received 16 Statements from Abbey 23/0806

Reply from Abbey.. enclosed complaints leaflet 2/08/06

Phone call from abbey Re my account 20.55hrs 5/09/06

Letter to MBNA requesting statements 6/9/06

Sent off Data Protection Act letter to MBNA 2/10/06

Sent off Non Compliance letter to P Speed 3/10/06

Cover letter & 5yrs statements received 9/10/06

Received letter from MBNA saying they had reduced limit 9/10/06

I had a very similar conversation with MBNA these people are ruthless, and extreme in their methods.

I paid them off and today received a cheque for a £100 as a goodwill payment in anwser to my Sars request.

Don't be worried about this lot they are true numptys.

Take them to court

Regards

adamski

Hi Very Trying, :)

sorry for late reply, its got to the point of if im not on the phone(now its back on) to the bank & utilities cancelling DDs then im on here trying to read more & more threads or trying to do "homey" things ie. dinner, washing ect...so to answer your question, yes, id like to claim from MBNA aswell as Abbey but not sure if my brain can cope with all that yet,:confused: im still getting used to this lot and the abbey, also in "disscusions" with CSA (but thats another thread though, read it if you like) about my late paymts from X......

xx:)

Sandra,

Your experience with this woman... next time they call, only proceed with the conversation if she gives you a LOGIN ID. Demand it.

That goes for any telephone calls. It's their personal id, and it ensures that you have an accountable individual for what is said.

Keep a dairy of what's said, and when you got a couple or four, just blast a letter to the key people on the head honcho thread.

Just remember that their tactics are all about mental battery. Oh, and cancel that Direct debit. Set it up as an electronic banking order so you can pay what you can, when you can.

Hi Sev,

thanks, just wish id known about the login ID yesterday:rolleyes: ...will try to remember next time i speak to any of them.. thanks again

:) xx

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just got off the phone to mbna, and asked if they got my lba letter the lady said no, then she said can we resolve it on the phone, so I told her that I wanted the total amount plus the interest they levied on those charge, then she went of and spoke to someone and came back and said she has been told to wait until the have process the letter and reviewed the account before she can commit to anything because, they have lost a substantial amount of money on the account because they chose to sell it on, they are not sure how much they can give me back so I should call them 2morrow.

Can they refuse to give it all back because they choose to sell on my debt.

If they don't give it all back should I still take them to court.

They recieved the LBA on the 20th according to my recorded delivery number.

Any advice would be welcome

Hi

My debt is with some collection agency ...Global Vantedge I think. They phone me every day now ...it's getting quite hilarious.

At first I was worried but not anymore ,.....if they had any sense, they would have written a letter to me 3 months ago telling me I had to pay up or go to court however, they haven't written to me ...although I have told them to.

I then went through the stages of telling them the account is in dispute, that I'm only willing to discuss it with MBNA Chester and to pass it back to them.

Now I tell them to stop harrassing me, that their 40th phone call is irritating me and that I'm not prepared to give them any information nor even speak to them.

Tonight I told them that I'm going to start charging them every time they phone me. :)

hehe ...it's great fun.

Tell your friend to just say to them that she's not prepared to discuss the account with them. ...and then just carry on with MBNA.

Tomorrow I've decided that I'm not even going to speak and will just put the phone down ...they always phone when I'm in the middle of something!!

:)

....we'll see how I get on this week, I expect to have my account sorted by the end of this week.

You are are dealing with people who are on minimum wage PLUS approx 20% commission (god bless the little minion who told me that gem - though they probably fired him!) ie if they bully you into paying up £50 they get £10 straight into their pocket that's why they are so forceful. Tell them straight at the beginning of the call "sorry, no commission today love move on to the next victim". This eventually worked so well for us they'd actually hang up on me. It doesn't stop them calling but it reduces a stressful 15 minute argument to about 30 seconds.

Also sarcasm is great (BUT NOT ALWAYS APPROPRIATE)! Try, if you phoned me 3 hours ago and i had no money then what on earth makes you think I'm going to have some now, or, could you phone back after the lottery numbers have been drawn please, or even, after your your last call I decided to rob our local bank but it was closed could you phone back on Monday after about 11am!

I have just got off the phone to mbna, and asked if they got my lba letter the lady said no, then she said can we resolve it on the phone, so I told her that I wanted the total amount plus the interest they levied on those charge, then she went of and spoke to someone and came back and said she has been told to wait until the have process the letter and reviewed the account before she can commit to anything because, they have lost a substantial amount of money on the account because they chose to sell it on, they are not sure how much they can give me back so I should call them 2morrow.

Can they refuse to give it all back because they choose to sell on my debt.

If they don't give it all back should I still take them to court.

They recieved the LBA on the 20th according to my recorded delivery number.

Any advice would be welcome

Can anyone advise to the above questions

hi

everything I know ..I only know from reading hundreds of posts in these and similar forums, as well as all the help pages, so I'm only guessing.....

...but I would have thought that the loss is the fault of MBNA ...they're the ones who sold on your account ...and anyway they've probably made thousands and thousands of pounds out of me in the last 10 yrs, so their small loss on your account will no doubt be covered a million times over by other poor customers.

I personally would ignore that ...they probably have a list of "put them off" comments and select one at random.

They told me that I have "been using my account in a way that is not allowed"

...I think they were a bit desperate when they thought up that one.

...hehe

Fantastic ....well done.

I expect that my account is in a similar situation to yours ....they told me they have credited it with £600 though. (I'm guessing that they've just passed on my arrears to a third party as they told me I still have to pay this) ...anyway I'll be chasing them tomorrow and Friday for a full settlement because I'm not paying a penny.