British Gas lost my cheque and....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Ive been speaking with different people at British Gas for what feels like centuries now! - its probably getting on for a year in reality as theyve been chasing me for payment - when this started I was waiting for my bank penalty charges claim and in the end it was paid but the bank insisted on paying my bills with the money - they sent me a cheque for my local authority and a cheque for British Gas. This chq. was payable to my gas account with the number on the pay line too so there could be no confusion as to where this money was to be paid. I put the chq in an envelope and sent it to either Eastbourne or Southampton and assumed they would bankit and send me a statement. No. They issued a threatening letter instead with all sorts of charges and talk of getting a warrant. I have spoken with them b4 when they said they had the chq bit didnt know who it was for! They have a girl who keeps ringing me with an appalling attitude who now says that I have to resolve it and I have to get the chq re-issued and send it in again. That will be impossible as the bank and I are now going into court over the charges claim. I am so frustrated with B.Gas - what else is there to apart from scream?:confused:

British Gas are a complete shower.I have first hand experience of the court practice and therefore data handling. It is a scandal.

I know other people who had similar problems.

I suppose that this is the banks own cheque. You should instruct British Gas to present it for payment straightaway.ask them to send you a copy first if at all possible.

Is commonly believed that cheques are only valid to 6 months. This is not the case. It is simply a matter of practice and it is reckoned to be good practice to ask the player of the checked renew it every six months. However a check is a form of contractual document and it is valid for six yearsFrom the date of the cheque. I can imagine that British Gas will take a lot of forcing to present the cheque. I don't know why but they will simply consider that it is not valid. You will have to insist that they present it and if necessary you will have to force them to do so by contacting the regulator. In terms of any charges or threats etc they make to you, you will have to point out to them that they have in their possession a valid check the payment and they have had it right from the beginning and it is their responsibility. Point out also that if they continue to delay that they have only themselves to blame.

In future if you have any more settlements from the bank, insist that the money is paid directly to you and if it is not refuse to accept it.

I think you should try to get a copy of the cheque before it is presented.

Don't deal with British Gas on the telephone. It is a nightmare. The only basis on which you can deal with on the telephone is if you record your calls. This is a useful precaution anyway and with British Gas it is essential. I have saved myself some very difficult moments by recording calls with British Gas -- even though when they later discovered that I had recorded conversations, they were furious and even threaten me with legal action! They are idiots

Hi BF - thanks. Thats the joke - I have sent them my copy of the cheque and they are now saying this is the one they have but not the original!! I sent them the letter that came from HSBC addressed to me, I wrote on the bottom of it and stapled the cheque to it. I scanned both and then posted it. I had a lengthy conversation with 'someone' at BG who told me to send it to Eastbourne or Southampton -dont remember which but it definitely wasnt Camberley - and BG now say that couldnt have been so as ALL payments go to Camberley. So, since I know I had that conversation can I ask for the transcripts of the call? besides which shouldnt they be sending it on if it is at the wrong office. The girl on the phone today refused to give me the contact number for either office and said it wasnt relevant. I wish I could get her on Channel 4.!!! I'm going to write to their CEO or somesuch and my MP.

Fristley I did not know this

"Is commonly believed that cheques are only valid to 6 months. This is not the case. It is simply a matter of practice and it is reckoned to be good practice to ask the player of the checked renew it every six months"

always nice to learn something new :)

I would add to the above that a lot of cheque from banks (indeed any business) have the expiry on the cheque (for example only valid for 12 months for). I know building society cheques are guaranteed to clear, so you would assume a cheque from a bank would unless it has been cancelled.

I am in total agreement with the above, if you go through the Ombudsmen they are going to look very silly indeed saying "Yes that's right we sent the account to our internal and external debt collectors even though we had a cheque in our possetion."

PS

"Ive been speaking with different people at British Gas for what feels like centuries now"

How long has it actually been? If you don't get a final response you can still go to the energy ombudsmen so long as its 56 days since you first complained about the issue same as the FOS.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi - thanks for the input. Ive just looked at my letters and see that it is now a year since I first had to complain to BGas!! It was September last year when I stated that they were overcharging me and I paid them in dribs and drabs but then in Autumn last year they said I owed them over £300 which I wasnt sure about - they say the account is now something like £1100 but I have sent them the famous cheque written out by HSBC for £851 in June this year and was to make an arrangement to pay off the balance - now they insist I get another cheque but that will not be possible as HSBC have issued court proceedings against us re the bank accounts and this is a big mess as it includes the penalty charges balances. The cheque for BGas is what they agreed to repay to us but it now seems that it has been lost or put in some pending account by BG and they wont admit it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

If it has been put into an account by BG the bank should be able to confirm if the cheque has been paid or not. Given the inept natue of most utility companies it seems more likely they have lost it. On what grounds did HSBC issue this cheque anyway? I've never heard of a bank settling a claim and inisiting they would only make it payable to a utility company.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi - quite right - Ive never heard of it either but I have another thread somewhere all about my bank case and channel 4 but they still did it and got away with it and if they hadnt i wouldnt be in this mess now and the bank are taking me to court claiming back everything including charges!!!! another one for channel 4 then! grrrrr British Gas: sent a letter to their CEO - will now have to ask bank if chq has gone thru also. more **** to deal with. what a joke.

Hi - yes an update. I mailed the CEO of British Gas and they have been in touch with me - fortunately the bank have also issued me a new cheque for them so it is winging its way there - I still feel that BG have caused me a lot of distress and anguish and their rude staff should be apologising - but then pigs might fly:)

If that's how you feel pursue it, acknowledge you are glad they have FINALLY managed to process a payment. Who knows you might get some kind of goodwill gesture to make up for it, why not go to the Ombudsmen, what've you got to lose?

(except for your sanity! lol)