• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

*** WON - BC charges repaid with Compound Interest ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Fenris,

I've just reviewed your thread and assume that you sent the letter in post #19, which has prompted the response from Lowells about your S.10 Notice.

However, I can't see mention of you sending a formal CCA request. Have you, in fact, sent one to BC ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Slick,

Yes, I did send that one to Lowells. Previously I sent an SAR to Barclaycard asking also that they send me a copy of my Agreement, which they have, as yet, not done.

It's getting a bit confusing now what with having to deal with both Barclaycard and Lowells.

Hi Fenris,

I'd not even bother replying to Lowells about the s.10 Notice refusal.

Wait to hear about the CCA request, and the SAR, for now.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick,

Got a big bundle of paperwork from Barclaycard today. Had a quick look through but can't see a copy of my Agreement. I'll have a proper look in a while and will update the thread when I know what's in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, haven't been able to do much more on this for a couple of weeks. Had some problems with my car which needed sorting out which has put me right back. Anyway, I've heard diddly from Barclaycard since sending the second letter so it looks like I'm going to have to start some Court action in order to get the data I requested. This is such a pain in the backside! Why do these people make life so flamin' difficult?

And I still can't get my head round the restitution thing. Is there an excel spreadsheet or something I can use at all?

Hi Fenris,

There's been some success recently where users have received their credit agreement after complaining to the FOS about BC's failure to produce the document in response to a CCA request. You may prefer to try this before taking court action.

If you read the Interest Tutorial, there's an spreadsheet linked in there to use to calculate the interest.

Also, have you clicked on the restitution link in the post above to read about it.

Hi Slick,

I'm already dealing with the FOS over my Barclays Bank charges, would there not be some kind of clash if I also got onto them about this problem?

I have read the interest tutorial and I have read the info in the link, but I'm really thick when it comes to maths (unlike Science which I'm really good at!) and I just can't seem to fit all the pieces together to get a picture of what I'm supposed to be doing! I've just found this: http://www.shweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/interestcalcs.xls on the "Why let your bank keep your money? Calculating your charges claim" thread which I've been tracking for a while, but I'm not sure if this is the correct spreadsheet to use?

As a test I typed in: Over Limit £30.00 21-Nov-2000 and it calculated: 3267 days £281.89 which looks wonderful, but it seems a bit high.

Incidentally, I was going through my corespondance with Barclaycard and I came across a letter I'd sent them saying I had rejected their offer of a refund of £256, but they credited it anyway. As I refused it does this now mean I can go right back to 2000 and claim all the charges with restitution? Grabbing at straws a bit I know, but it's worth asking! :)

Edit: For fits and giggles I filled out the whole form and, if I go back to the first charge way back in November 2000, and include all charges up to and including the last one in August 2007, my claim total is £2,928.12! Which is, interestingly, more or less the amount they were wanting off me. Talk about irony. That all assumes I can claim back that far and that this is the correct spreadsheet.

Edited by Fenris

Fenris

With Slicks assistance I have just submitted my claim against BCard for 2 cards, and i can assure you the sort of numbers you are referring to are probably not excessive for a charge that goes back to 2000. In fact when i use my current card rate of 27.9% and the Compound Interest Calculator which is liked on this site Compound interest calculator I actually get a far higher number.

Its important to note that you must be prepared to fight them all the way to the court steps (and maybe inside) if you want to pursue this kind of claim. Im going down this road, but it may not be appropriate to everyone.

Best Wishes whatever you decide

Hi Fenris,

I see no reason why you shouldn't complain to the FOS about BC's failure to supply the agreement. It's an entirely separate issue to the Barclays bank charges.

That Int't figure looks bang on. ;)

You can cetainly claim that far back but you'll have to incorporate s.32 Limitation Act 1980 in your POC. This deals with the statute of limitation which normally bars you from claiming back beyond 6 years.

You did right to reject their offer. The fact that they credited it to the a/c can be taken into account in final negotiations.

Edited by slick132
typo "that FAR back"

Fenris

With Slicks assistance I have just submitted my claim against BCard for 2 cards, and i can assure you the sort of numbers you are referring to are probably not excessive for a charge that goes back to 2000. In fact when i use my current card rate of 27.9% and the Compound Interest Calculator which is liked on this site Compound interest calculator I actually get a far higher number.

Its important to note that you must be prepared to fight them all the way to the court steps (and maybe inside) if you want to pursue this kind of claim. Im going down this road, but it may not be appropriate to everyone.

Best Wishes whatever you decide

Thanks for your post Still_surviving. I have no problem fighting BC in the Courts; been there before, happy to go there again if it means there's the slightest possibility of getting this kind of money back.

Hi Fenris,

I see no reason why you shouldn't complain to the FOS about BC's failure to supply the agreement. It's an entirely separate issue to the Barclays bank charges.

That Int't figure looks bang on. ;)

You can cetainly claim that for back but you'll have to incorporate s.32 Limitation Act 1980 in your POC. This deals with the statute of limitation which normally bars you from claiming back beyond 6 years.

You did right to reject their offer. The fact that they credited it to the a/c can be taken into account in final negotiations.

OK, thanks Slick. I'll be getting on to them again then. Also found reference to the IOC in another thread, so thought I'd pass on the info regarding Barclaycard's refusal to send my data to me. Might be a bit quicker than the FOS.

Just a question about compound interest. Well, two actually:

When I put in the charge, should I also put in the APR at the time? I.e: charge of £25 on 01-01-2000, APR at time of charge 12.9%, charge of £30 on 01-01-06, APR at time of charge 18.9%.

The calculator Still_surviving linked to asks if I want to compound on a monthly/yearly basis. Should I select monthly as that's how Barclaycard charged me?

Sorry for more questions, but I want to make sure I get it right for the Court.

I had similar questions when I was calculating my claim and settled on the following after discussions with slick & others further down the claim process than me...

a) use 12 periods for the compounding calculation

b) tick the box for 360 day calcs

c) use the current apr being charged on your card for cash advances - yes its likely to give higher results, but it will draw BCard to the negotiating table, if they want to disprove your claim.

I did have initial misgivings about © but as that is their current contractual apr with you, it is appropriate.

Hi Fenris,

If you are claiming interest in restitution, it doesn't necessarily have to be the interest rate they applied to your a/c.

You're claiming this interest because BC have had YOUR money and will effectively have used it in the course of their business to lend out at commercial rates. You are claiming it to restore the balance - so they have that profit taken back from them.

To defend, they would have to disclose their accounting practices, which they won't do.

Keep reading up on this so you understand why you are claiming restitutionary interest. :)

Claiming compound interest at whatever rate will mean BC will refuse to refund and you'll have to file a court claim and deal with court bundle, etc.

Sorry slick, but you've properly confused me now. I thought claiming back any interest would result in Court? Still_surviving has used the calculator he linked to in order to claim back monies owed plus compund interest. This seems the easiest route for me as I simply do not understand how interest in restitution works. It doesn't matter how often I read the related threads, I just don't get it. I've got enough going on without having to do advanced mathamatics! Which is why I'm opting for the compound interest. Don't Barclaycard have to show their accounts for this also?

If there's an easy explanation of how to work out interest in restitution, or a spreadsheet I could use that would aid me, I'm happy to try that, but there's no point doing it if I don't understand it. It'll just make a Court case impossible for me to fight. At least with compound interest I've got a good idea of how it's calculated and how it works.

Anyway, here's a funny thing: Barclaycard sent me a copy of my CCA! It is mine, I have signed it and it is my handwriting. Here's a link: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3958/barclaycardcca.jpg Obviously I've blanked out my personal details and I've deliberately left it large as it's hard enough to read the photocopy they sent me. From what I've read in other posts this looks like it's unenforcable. I can't see any T&C's on there at all, other than a short statement where the signature is saying, "This is a credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound to it's terms." I can't remember off hand, as it was ten years back, but I'm willing to be I only got the aforementioned "terms" when I got the card.

Fenris

You suffering the same confusion i did....its just a question of terminology

You want columns on a claim for

a) charge

b) compound interest at contractual rate

c) a+b

d) potential s.69 interest at contractual rate (this is same as b) - or you could go for just 8% simple as the courts will be more used to this. Your choice

The restitution element is (b). Barclaycard have inflated your balance over the years by charging compound interest on unlawful charges. Your claim is to reduce your account to the state it would be in prior to the charges & Interest.

Be aware though of the main condition regarding claiming for compound interest. It works best and most indisputedly when the balance owing on your card was always much higher than your aggregate claim. Else you may find it overstates the actual interest significantly

To my eyes that scanned doc has no T&Cs or references to any...interesting :)

Hi Fenris,

We're getting bogged down here with semantics. :eek:

Claiming back the charges alone will normally result in BC repaying the charges plus a flat 8% "bonus" on top.

Claim back the charges plus compound interest and BC will refuse to pay this, forcing you to file a court claim.

What you call this higher interest is not so important. It could be:-

Compound Interest

Contractual Interest

Interest in Restitution

What is importamnt is that you calculate it correctly and that you understand the basis on which you are claiming it.

The application form they have sent you does not constitute an enforceable credit agreemnt as it lacks any of the Prescribed Terms required by the CCA1974.

Edited by slick132
deleted advice given on previous page

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks to both of you for the clarification. I'm going to use Still_surviving's formula above and send it off. If Barclaycard put up a fight (which we know they probably will) I'll at least have some idea of what I've done. :D

Regarding the CCA, now I know it's unenforcable should I contact Lowells and tell them this, or should I just wait for them to recontact me and then tell them to shove off? I've heard nothing from them for several weeks, so I can only assume they they have a copy of this agreement and know full well that there's nothing they can do to force me into paying the money I "owe".

Edit: I think I must be doing something wrong here. If I use the calculator Still_surviving linked to I get a total of £3448.91. But if I use the spreadsheet I downloaded from here I get £2669.85. Stranger still, if I use a spreadsheet I got by searching for Excel rules, I get £2769.57! As far as I can see I'm putting the same information in each calculator but I keep getting different results. Should I just go for the higher total and go from there? I'm assuming BC will try and knock it down anyway.

Edited by Fenris

Hi Fenris,

Just deal with Lowells as and when necessary, ie when they bother you again.

Do not think, for one second, that they give a hoot about whether they have the correct document before pursuing a debt.

I doubt they'd know the difference between a properly executed credit agreement, and a badly printed bus ticket. :lol:

Please see my PM to you. :cool:

Hey Fenris

Just like to mention that what I posted re your claim, was the result of discussions with other people, more knowledgeable than I, from these forums. Wish i could claim it as my own original work :)

In any event, my initial claim letter was totally ignored - so Ive just sent a 14 day Letter Before Action plus updated claim details.

Following your case with interest as it obviously now mirrors my own

• 6 months later...

Hi all again,

Well, I've still not gotten around to getting my money back from Barclaycard. I was going to do it after Xmas but I get very, very ill and it's taken me all this time to recover to the point where I'm ready for the fight!

Anyway, I ignored Lowells for as long as possible, but they recontacted me eventually! So I sent them a copy of the "Aplication form" and I quickly recieved a letter back saying they were passing the debt back to Barclaycard. That was a couple of months back and I've heard nothing since.

So now I'm back to square one with the reclaiming. But I have to ask, since this whole thing was ilegal, can I also claim back all the money I paid in interest? Not charges, just the usual interest that accumulates on a CC? I know it sounds really gready, but they forced me to pay £80/£90/£100, sometimes more, per month in repayments, when I was on JSA, getting less than £55 per week. Plus I couldn't actually use the CC as they'd stopped it so all I was paying off was interest that had built up upon interest that had built up on interest... You get the picture! Some months paying the monthly fee on the CC put me over my limit on the Bank Account and left me with no money at all. I worked it out that I'd paid them almost three grand just in interest and that's before I add in the charges and the interest on those.

As I say, it's a long shot, but if I'm entitled to claim it back I will.

Thanks in advance again! :)

Hi Fenris,

You can claim back the charges, plus interest.

You can only claim Statutory Int't if you file a claim for this at court. If BC repay voluntarily, they often pay out a flat 8% bonus on top but without reference to the date of each penalty charge.

If you claim interest in restitution at BC's contractual rate, they may refuse to refund and you'll then file a court claim for the charges and int't.

Read up on this in the Interest Tutorial linked in my signature.

You cannot reclaim the interest that they charge you on your a/c balance, except for those amounts that relate to the penalty charges.

Hi Slick,

Yes, we'd already gone over that before, I just wanted to know if I could get back the interest I'd paid since the "contract" I signed wasn't legal. Answer seems to be no, so I'll forget that idea! :)

Anyway, I've read the tutorial and I've downloaded the advanced spreadsheet for England, but I'm finding this extremely confusing! (I was always rubbish as advanced maths at school and it's catching up with me now!) In coloumn I Amount Paid, what am I supposed to put? E.g, if I missed several payments, I assume I put 0.00? But if I was late with a payment do I put that in? E.g, if I paid £100 a couple of days after I got the Late Payment charge do I enter:

20/01/00 Late Payment Charge £15 (Coloums E, F, G, H) Amount Paid £100? Or should it still be 0.00?

I can't find a proper tutorial specifically for CC's only Bank Charges which isn't overly helpful.