Red Traffic Light Offence - Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About a month ago I had a reckless 18yo from abroad staying in my home as a favour to a friend. He stayed in my home for 4 days in order to attend university open days.

He thought it was a good idea to borrow my car using my spare key to go and get a take away without saying a word to anyone.

Days after he left the UK, a letter landed on my door mat saying i needed to tell them who drove the car on such date and such time, because a traffic light offence had happened!

I gave them the name and address of this guy abroad. I also enclosed a letter explaining the situation and a letter from my flatmate confirming my whereabouts at the date and time of the offence.

A month has passed and I have heard nothing.

What is happening now?

Any advice will be much appreciated

I assume the letter you received was a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) requiring you to furnish details of the driver at the time of the alleged offence under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

On the basis of the information provided you have complied with that requirement & have no further liability in this matter.

The police will now be pursuing the named driver, (or maybe not seeing as he lives abroad).

In addition, it appears your visitor has also committed an offence under Section 12(1) of the Theft Act 1968 -Taking a motor vehicle without consent. Insurance & driving licence offences may also be involved.

Did you at the time, or have you since, report the matter officially to the police?

On a cautionary note, the police may be 'curious' to know exactly how you knew/know your visitor 'thought it was a good idea to borrow your car using your spare key to go and get a take away without saying a word to anyone.'

I have reported it to the police using the online reporting facility.

I am just concerned of what other tickets he might have got while he was driving the car.

As you have reported this matter to the police, you will be in possession of a crime/incident ref number.

You cannot be held liable for any other tickets (from whatever source) issued in respect of your car during the period it was taken/being used without your consent.

Deal with any correspondence you may receive speedily quoting the police reference number in your replies.