halfords satnav trial loans

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in may this year my son who works for halfords partime took loan of a tomtomsatnav that was being offered to staff to try out. as it was given to him his manager said "your responsible for it"., what happens , that night on the way home he visits a friend ,while he is in his friends house his car is broken into and he loses his car stereo, a freinds ipod, a rucksack with all his A level course work (which was subsequently found and returned by the police) and of course the satnav.

the insurance will not pay out because it was not my sons property.

his manager has told him that he is now going to stop the full retail price from my sons wages even though the satnav is a demonstrastion model that has been loaned out previously to other members of staff, he says he can do that because he still has the box??

1/ is he allowed to abititrarily to stop money from his wages , with out agreeing it with my son

2/ can he take more than the real monetary value of the item, i.e. chargeing him full price for what is a second hand item

3/ do halfords have a duty of care to there own property when they loan it out to there staff( at the moment they are loaning satnavs out to customers for a trial period)

4/ why should halfords profit from my sons car being broken into??

5/ when i spoke to halfords personel dept. they said it would be in my sons terms and conditions?? (cant these morons say anything original)

any opinions or advice will be much appreciated as always

:mad:LF53

Deny that the manager said he was responsible for it - when it comes down to it its his word against your sons. He never signed anything saying tht he would pay full retail value for the item - which is going to be far more than what it cost the company as they would be able to offset the VAT from the trade price as well.

Write them a letter stating the item wasn't your sons responsibility he was given it as he sees for a training exercise and never agreed to pay trade price let alone retail if it was lost and that any wages not paid will be sought through the small claims court.

many thanks blacksheep and pcr1, brilliant advice i, its made my son feel much better about the whole thing. also we always suspected it but we now know his manager is a total halfwit.( and thats being polite)

• 3 weeks later...

Ask for a copy of his contract, most employees don't even sign a contract as one is not presented at the time the employment commences. (Of course, most does not mean all). If they can't come up with a signed contract of employment that states "Employees are personally liable for any item they are loaned by the company for purposes of staff training" or other some such legalese, then I can't see how the manager can claim anything at all.

thanks for the advive fredrick, nice one. hopefuly it wont be needed, as the threats seem to have stopped, i think so far we have called his bluff, and it seems he turned out to be all wind and $&ss , but you never know, he might suprise us yet. but i think my sons leaveing next month to go to uni so hopefuly that will be that.

• 2 weeks later...