Motability questions - conflicting advice!!

cosmiccat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all sorry to activate this thread again but need a bit of help . My wife is thinking of getting a car on the mobility scheme and putting her son on the insurance as a named driver along with herself .She suffers from fybromyalgia and arthritis also had a knee replacement and is waiting for other knee to be done The reason i give some medical history is to back up her need for her son to drive her more than she will drive herself due to her conditions. To doctors, hospital appointments, her mother, sisters etc Our son lives with her an cares for her but claims no benefits. I work long hours so he looks after her

What we need to know would the advice given on this thread given 2 years ago still apply. If her son got a part time job would he be able to use the mobility car to travel to work ( he would not be self employed ) because he gives mum some rent,contributes to houshold income ? Would he be able to use car , say to go and see friends etc so he would be able to get back home quicker if mum needed him for whatever reason ? Hope big boss man or keefyboy are still around they seemed to understand the rules of how the scheme works Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fathead

You can have your son as one of the allowed drivers, and they will allow him to use it for travel to and from work. My wife did some work earlier this year and we had business added as well with no problems. Aslong as your son does not use it for say, running around the streets at night with his mate then they will allow him to do this.

When his mother applies for the car, she will be asked who she wants on as Named drivers, (only 2 allowed, so if she drove then she could only have herself and your son as NAMED drivers.

If you have any doubts at all then speak to Royal & Sun Alliance Motability on 0500 37 37 37

I am quoting from Motabilities Handbook issued with every car

"Business Use of the car"

Travel to and from your normal workplace is covered under the scheme. If you need to use the car for Business purposes, you can arrange Business Use cover for most occupations. This is straight forward, just ring RSAM on above number.

The one thing you have to take into account though is that the Vehicle is primary for Disabled driver, and that must be seriously considered before putting a named driver on the Insurance.

If you have any other question please feel free to ask, i will offer what advice I can...

Edited by keefyboy

Keefy (:-)The "Moaner":rolleyes:)Boy

Prepared to take on anyone until I win...................

No, my wife uses it as you would any vehicle, just as if the car was your own. Except th vehicle has to be made available for me when required.

With regards to a 3rd person on the Insurance, I beleive that the policy being a BULK insurance cover, a third person would NOT be allowed on the Insurance as the facility is for only 2 people and that is what is underwritten by the insurer. You would be better asking RSAM on the number I quoted above. I did try and get a third person put on when I was able to drive, but they declined it under no circumstances.

PNC checks made by police officers not only give the details of the vehicles owners (Motablilty) the registered keeper (the person who the vehicle is the use of) and the 2 NAMED drivers on the policy. So don't try and use a third person, if stopped it will cost you a heavy fine and (as I beleive it is now) up to 8 points on your licence.

Another thing about the vehicle is that you can NOT drive the vehicle under your own insurance as it is part of the Lease conditions that the insurance is only with RSAM.

The only unamed people who can drive the vehicle are a Police Officer (they are allowed to drive any vehicle from moped to HGV and coaches, because of the Insurance of the Crown) and APPROVED garage staff performing servicing or repairing the vehicle.

As I said above if you have any queiries with regards to the insurance then phone RSAM as they are the people to speak to NOT Motability, they deal with the car, not the insurance side of it.

Hi all sorry to activate this thread again but need a bit of help . My wife is thinking of getting a car on the mobility scheme and putting her son on the insurance as a named driver along with herself .She suffers from fybromyalgia and arthritis also had a knee replacement and is waiting for other knee to be done The reason i give some medical history is to back up her need for her son to drive her more than she will drive herself due to her conditions. To doctors, hospital appointments, her mother, sisters etc Our son lives with her an cares for her but claims no benefits. I work long hours so he looks after her

What we need to know would the advice given on this thread given 2 years ago still apply. If her son got a part time job would he be able to use the mobility car to travel to work ( he would not be self employed ) because he gives mum some rent,contributes to houshold income ? Would he be able to use car , say to go and see friends etc so he would be able to get back home quicker if mum needed him for whatever reason ? Hope big boss man or keefyboy are still around they seemed to understand the rules of how the scheme works Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Hi and thanks for your question, looks like your question has already been answered, just a quick note regarding the 3rd named driver, this is only allowed on a tempory basis, ie maximum of 2 weeks, any other questions etc just shout out.

The retailers worst nightmare !

The only accurate advice you can get is by contacting Motability operations themselves. I have used this system, which given the circumstances at the time, made it a good deal. However, this is an expensive system of getting a car in most cases, and you have no freedom of choice as explained (Kwik Fit) and their nominated accident repairers can be very poor. All servicing must be done by main dealer instead of a proper garage.

Do your sums before committing your self---remember the lease is for three years.

The only accurate advice you can get is by contacting Motability operations themselves. I have used this system, which given the circumstances at the time, made it a good deal. However, this is an expensive system of getting a car in most cases, and you have no freedom of choice as explained (Kwik Fit) and their nominated accident repairers can be very poor. All servicing must be done by main dealer instead of a proper garage.

Do your sums before committing your self---remember the lease is for three years.

I did used to know someone who said the same - basically, he'll pay £8k for a car that he'll have to give back after 3 years. For some people who just need a car and no adaptations, it's usually cheaper to buy a car themselves and claim the free tax disc.

I think it only really works if you're reliant on benefits. (IS / IB / ESA, etc)

I think the thing is that, like my situation, I would normally be totally unable with my DLA and IB that I receive to be able to buy a vehicle (I have no capital) and secondly be able to run that vehicle. So therefore using the Motability scheme is a bonus for me, especially as I am in a wheelchair, a wheelchair vehicle is way out of reach because of the modifications that need to be done so I can get around. I agree that it seems to be quite an expensive way to get a vehicle, but if like me, you have used the scheme since i first got Higher rate DLA, it is ideal as I dont miss the money because I basically never had it. I realise that the vehicle is yours only for 3 years, but under the scheme now if the vehicle is in good condition and has low mileage you can extend that time period, so you benefit from that vehicle for extra time. But in my case the Wheelchair adapted vehicles are yours for 5 yrs not 3yrs, and the other aspect of buying a car is the maintainence side, servicing costs (mine has just been done and that was £274) tyres, and other things and well as Insurance costs. So in the long run for me, Motability is a godsend and gives me the freedom I want.

With regards to Repairers I have had a couple of minor accidents and both times the repairs were excellent, and the reason Motability use them is that they are accredited repairers using the latest technology and giving them value for money. With regards to tyres, yeah I am not the greatest fan of Kwikfit either, having them try to pull a fast one over me twice, again it is a company that does the job with value for money for Motability.

The comments given about having to use Main Dealers only, that you will find is incorrect, if you speak to Motability and ask to use a certain garage for servicing, they will certainly consider it, providing its not a little back street cowboy setup and the same goes for repairers, but bear in mind that Motability is not the person who says you have to use a certain Repairer, that is down to RSAM, the insurer, and once again if you speak with them, they will consider using someone else as long as they are a decent setup, not Fred from next door who's a panel beater and looking for work to do in his own garage at home.

Its boils down to personal choice and for me, the Motability scheme is brilliant, without it I would be stuck indoors looking at 4 walls all the time. But by all mean do your sums and work out what is best for you.

I am quoting from Motabilities Handbook issued with every car

"Business Use of the car"

Travel to and from your normal workplace is covered under the scheme. If you need to use the car for Business purposes, you can arrange Business Use cover for most occupations. This is straight forward, just ring RSAM on above number.

The one thing you have to take into account though is that the Vehicle is primary for Disabled driver, and that must be seriously considered before putting a named driver on the Insurance.

If you have any other question please feel free to ask, i will offer what advice I can...

Thanks keefyboy and BBM for your replies .Keefyboy sorry if i sound a bit daft but but could you clarify for me that our son can drive the car as a normal family car as long as my wife doesnt need it for her use at that time ? My wife has a car at the moment that is owned and insured by her .So son is on her insurance and has been able to use the car to drive mother around and go to cinema etc

The motability car will be for the main use of wife but because of her medical problems she would prefer to be driven on her bad days Her own car has stood on the driveway for days sometime weeks not used.thats why she put son on insurance to ferry her around Could you explain what needs to seriously considered before putting her son as named driver on the motability insurance please Again sorry am a bit of a pain but just asking questions for my wifes peace of mind Thanks again for your patience

Thanks keefyboy and BBM for your replies .Keefyboy sorry if i sound a bit daft but but could you clarify for me that our son can drive the car as a normal family car as long as my wife doesnt need it for her use at that time ? My wife has a car at the moment that is owned and insured by her .So son is on her insurance and has been able to use the car to drive mother around and go to cinema etc

The motability car will be for the main use of wife but because of her medical problems she would prefer to be driven on her bad days Her own car has stood on the driveway for days sometime weeks not used.thats why she put son on insurance to ferry her around Could you explain what needs to seriously considered before putting her son as named driver on the motability insurance please Again sorry am a bit of a pain but just asking questions for my wifes peace of mind Thanks again for your patience

If your wife has a car, why is getting a motability car? She'll lose quite a bit of money this way.

If your wife has a car, why is getting a motability car? She'll lose quite a bit of money this way.

Her car is getting old an needs replacing She thinks motability is a good option for getting a new car on lease ,cheaper than buying

I've been with Motability for a while, and I think it's a great scheme, I'd recommend it thoroughly. It can seem a bit expensive, but it is completely worry free motoring. And I'm like Keefyboy, I went out and ordered a car as soon as I got DLA, so I never really had the mobility component to miss. On the other hand, I took delivery of a £26,000 car two weeks ago (for a very reasonable £299 AP), I'd have pretty much lost 8 grand as soon as I drove it off the dealer's forecourt if I'd had the money to buy the car outright, so when looked at in that light, it isn't so expensive :)

I think that once people decided to join the Motability Scheme and after they have picked the vehicle that they want, (after shopping around and test driving different models) the day comes to pick the vehicle up, that pride of having a "Brand New Car" jumps in, and you drive it or are a passenger in it with pride. As we have said above, the Motability scheme is perfect for mine and others situations (without it I could not afford to have a car at all) and it is a decison which has to be acceptable to the individual needs. So as others have said that they personally don't like the thought of losing that Money from DLA, but the scheme is there for people who do need it. Without my WAV (Wheelchair Accessable Vehicle) I would not be able to get and and like this weekend, be at my daughters wedding. I would be stuck at home just going around the town in my wheelchair. So I am greatful for the scheme and would recommend it to anyone, but they must weigh up their options first to see if that is what they want to do.

Thanks keefyboy and BBM for your replies .Keefyboy sorry if i sound a bit daft but but could you clarify for me that our son can drive the car as a normal family car as long as my wife doesnt need it for her use at that time ?

The car has to be for the benefit of the disabled person.

could you define what benefit of disabled driver means please nystagmite

I don't think there's a concrete definition as such. Because you could argue that the partner going out to work benefits the disabled person - because it gives them a roof over their head. Things like shopping and collecting prescriptions also benefit the disabled person.

When I soke to Sun Alliance Motability about that term, when I was making enquiries when i worked for the police force, they told me basically it means that the named driver can use the vehicle as normal because virtually everything you can do could be contsrude as "doing for the disabled person who is the registered keeper of the vehicle", they wouldn't appose many circumstances, as it is better for the vehicle to be used rather than siting rotting on someones drive or in a garage.

Nystagmite , have you got a vehicle under the Motability scheme ?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but until you have a vehicle under the scheme, you then understand the benefits and drawbacks of the scheme. I looked into it before I committed myself to it, and since then, which is over 20 yrs for me, I have looked into the scheme many times to see if I would be better off buying a vehicle instead, which I would not be. So I just try and help other people who are considering the scheme, the benefits and the alternatives to the scheme, whether it would be worth their while Leasing a vehicle or having the money and trying to run their own vehicle with their DLA mobility allowance.

I do not work for Motability, or get paid for assisting them, I just enjoy helping people who want to maybe join the scheme. My experience with Essex Police gives me a lot of knowledge with regards to the insurance side of the scheme and having contact with Motability Operations was a great benefits also.

Therefore i give the info as above...... as to the best of my knowledge.

So so Fathead, health still giving a few issues but trying to ride them out... having a battle with my County highways dept, them being in Breach of contract... there is a thread but i am having to hold back a bit possible of Legal Action against them.

If the person who gets the full DLA allowance cannot drive they can nominate someone who does to drive the car for them, as long as you are over 25 and with a clean license, the person getting the DLA can either use Motability or apply to buy a used vehicle under the scheme. Personally I find that it is cheaper to buy a used vehicle, pay tax and insurance ourselves and this leaves money for petrol, MOT and general repairs. Luckily the driver has a clean licence so their insurance is very low also when you take out a car on Motability service charges etc are factored into the payment along with the tax, insurance etc. I always check which is the cheapest option by phoning around for insurance quotes when I have seen a suitable vehicle I would like to purchase.

This is my personal perference which may not be suitable for everyone. To find out for sure ring up the DLA and ask, they are very friendly and helpful.

We had a motability car, but due to an ongoing fault eventually after 7 months we were refunded our advance payment and the cost of fitting a two bar. We then purchased a 14 year old 4 x 4 where spares and servicing are cheap and I do not have a lot of difficulty getting in and out.. We are definitely better off now than we were previously when we had a motability car and that includes insurance and fuel.

As I said before Surfer01

I just try and give people the pro's and con's of using their DLA mobility award to whatever way they wish to use it. When I first had it I was able to walk but only very short distances but now i have to use a electric wheelchair there is absolutely no way that we would be able to afford to buy a vehicle. Even if we tried to buy a second hand WAV we could not afford it, my finacial circumstances would not allow it. So to me Motability is a gift from God, as the expression goes.

But I have explained to people that this way would not suit everyone. If I had a car which I could use then, like you, I would probably elect to keep my DLA mobility award to help towards running it and maintainence of the vehicle.

Everyones circumstances are different, and the choice I made is to use my award like this, and I can only foresee that this is the way I will only ever having of having a vehicle.

But everybody who gets the choice should weigh up both sides, and make up their own minds as to whether Motability would suit them or their current circumstances will surfice and they use their award as they deem most suited.

I like you also had a problem car, an electronic problem that resulted in the Vauxhall Astra Estate going back to the dealers 29 times in 2 years, and each time they said they could not find the problem, they even kept it for a week and still they said they could not find it. I collected the car drove out of the dealership up to the roundabout and then back along the dual carriageway and as i got opposite to the dealers it cut out in the outside lane.... it was a good job it was a quiet time along the road, so I hopped the barrier walked into the dealers and said, "well it is broken down again now, up there and you better get it and get back here quick as someone might plow into it. Boy did they move, they got it in, it would not start or do anything, so they gave me a courtesy car to get home and kept the vehicle and after a few days phoned me and said we can't find any fault with it, yet again. So after calling Motability, they said, take it to a different dealership and get them to check it, so they agreed to let me do this and I took it to the Renault dealer I had my previous cars from and he took it in and after 2 hours they came out and said " we have found your problem, a joint in the loom that goes from the engine compartment and into the passenger compartment was not pushed together very much at all, and when it cuts out on the road it must vibrate open just enough to cut everything off, also the main fuse on the loom is defective and needed replacing as it wasn't connecting properly also. They repaired it and sent the bill to Motability, who then sent the bill to the Vauxhall dealer who had to pay it. Apparently this dealer had quite a few complaints about minor problems not getting fixed and I myself sent a nasty letter to them and copied to Motability, the dealer offered me a tank of fuel as compensation, and when I went there they tried to get away with £10's worth, that didn't work with me as the letter said a "FULL" tank not £10's worth, so it cost them dearly and I heard that Motability refused to pay for over 20 of their garages bills for "not finding the fault"....

I wont go into what I think of the Vauxhall Vivaro WAV as they would ban me off here..... but thats another story...