Wonga took money from cancelled debit card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5445 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I recently defaulted on a loan with Wonga as I could no longer afford to keep rolling it over. I have written to and emailed them to ask them to accept smaler monthly payments but all they say is to call them, which I've done and they have to be the least helpful people on earth.

Having read the advice on this forum about cancelling my debit card to stop them freely debitting it, I did just that back in May, ordered a new card with a different number and thought that would stop the problem. I also asked my bank to confirm my old card had been cancelled (I had reported it as being lost). Although Wonga have clearly tried to debit my old card over the last 3 weeks (as they keep emailing me to say their attempts at debitting my (cancelled) card are failing), today I checked my account today and they have taken a payment for £90 out of my account using my old debit card. I contacted my bank to ask how payment could be taken from a card that has been cancelled but they have said that companies such as Wonga can do this. Apparently when you give them your debit card details it acts in a similar way to a cheque guarantee card. I told them that previous attempts by Wonga to debit my card had failed and my bank just said that sometimes payments on cancelled cards will still sneak through.

My Mum had put this money in my account to enable me to buy food and I now have nothing in my account. I have emailed Wonga to appeal to their better nature but suspect they don't have one so I'm not holding out any hopes.

Has anyone got any advice on how to stop them 'sneaking' another payment through? Is my bank at fault for allowing payment to be made on a cancelled card?

Thanks in advance for your help!