Virgin upgrade - free?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a flyer from Virgin Media saying that my broadband is being upgraded and I need to call them to get a modem.

Now the flyer says that the modem itself is free, but says nothing as to whether the upgrade is free or even if it is compulsory.

Me being me, I am somewhat suspicious that they are not exactly telling the whole truth. I believe Broadband Total comes with this, and they charge for it. I wouldn't want to use it though.

Any ideas from anyone?

If there are to be any other charges, these should be disclosed in the same flyer.

Easiest way is to call them, and ask poinjt blank if your monthly cost will remain the same. Sometimes a 'visit' charge of £30 can be avoided if you opt for -self-install, which means they post it out, and you swap the modems over yourself.

yep go with that.

not sure where you are but there are ceratainly free speed upgrades going on that will require old users with old modems, to get them replaced.

there is no additional charge for the extra speed, but as buzby pointed out, install the modem yourself & it will cost you nowt.

you will need to power everything OFF that connects to your Cable modem inc pc's lappies etcetc.

put in new cable modem

give it 30 secs to settle, them power on other things like routers etc.

if your connection to the internet does not work

you might have to ring india to get them to register your new cable moden against your A/C.

HTH

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think you may find that they will want a new contract with you so you would be stuck with them for 1 year or 18 months etc. This would have happened to me with BT if someone I knew had not had same problem.

dpick

riiiiight.....

Just spoken to them. From what I can make out, Virgin have increased the charge on M size by £2.00 for everyone. In doing so, they are scrapping the 2 meg broadband and providing 10 meg instead (first I've heard). Because 10 meg won't go through the set top box, they are having to send out free modems. You can't do it yourself as the cable needs to be spilt, whatever the hell that means. They said however that it is free.

Can anyone confirm that? I simply don't trust them.

What they mean by splitting the cable is that the cable that goes to your set top box needs an adapter putting on it so that the single cable becomes 2 one going to your set top the other to your modem

riiiiight.....

Just spoken to them. From what I can make out, Virgin have increased the charge on M size by £2.00 for everyone. In doing so, they are scrapping the 2 meg broadband and providing 10 meg instead (first I've heard). Because 10 meg won't go through the set top box, they are having to send out free modems. You can't do it yourself as the cable needs to be spilt, whatever the hell that means. They said however that it is free.

Can anyone confirm that? I simply don't trust them.

Our incoming Virgin cable is 3-way split in the terminator box to TV boxes (2), cable modem and phone.

thats interesting.

2meg went to 4meg some time ago..

and previous to that 1meg went to 2meg.

you must still be using the STB for internet without a sep modem?

in that case, you will need one as the STB's don't work at 10Meg

so hence the visit.

you could always tell them you already have a splitter so don't need the eng to come , but if its free why not have them come.

there are known issues when you go from a STB to a cable modem for your internet. don't be surprised india know nothing about it if you do try and register the CM yourself.

also watchout 'cause the email ad's sometimes change too.

if you still have a .co.uk email ad, then you are in for troubles.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We had our speed upgraded from 8mb to 10mb free of charge and with no need to replace the modem. When you receive any equipment with a contract, that equipment, in your case the modem, doesn't really belong to you. It belongs to Virgin and while ever you use the package, you have the device. Should you cancel the contract they could demand it back. By sending you another modem, they could tie you into another contract automaticaly. The modem might be completly free, but the monthly charge could increase.

i know quite a bit about the system and the admin & there has never been a contract change.

if VM are upgrading the speed because they are upgrading 'all' users on that speed, then there is no change in contract nor a charge increase, it is as it says on the tin free.

whenever the upgradeshave been done in the past, nothing customer side has changed other than p'haps the need for a change of equipment.

have i guessed correct you currently get your internet via your STB [set top box - provides the tv too} or is it via an old Terayon stand alonre modem?

and do you have and use any of the old .co.uk NTL email or previous named alike .co.uk [ex ntl?]

dx

and they

You can pretty much read about this all here: nthellworld.co.uk - user community or

Upgrade from 2 - 10 meg - Cable Forum

This is the *Official* VirginMedia support forums: nthellworld.co.uk - user community it's worth pointing out however that those that HELP are doing so OUT OF HOURS and Voluntarily, they will help, but are under no obligation to do so. So don't go in their demanding help, just ask someone will hopefully come to you.

I can also understand Gyzmo's concerns, as I too have read that there are a few people who have lost their old deals after virgin went and added to their packages, this possibly stems from the fact that virgin has removed their 'customer loyalty' program, which essentially meant we got a reasonable deal providing we wouldn't change supplier. Trouble is that some people were getting everything for 99p so VM were making a loss so they've removed those deals from the system and those people are renegotiating. You can pretty much read all about this at the afforementioned forum as I had too. At least you'll never be suprised when Virginmedia make a change on contracts again! No more 'I never heard they were doing free upgrades', you'll know be in the rumour mill along with the rest of us.