Tax Codes After Being on JSA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently started a new job after being on JSA for the past few months.

I have not told my new job I was on JSA as I didn't want them to know I had been unemployed all that time - never looks good on a CV does it.

Anyway I have a P46 to fill in and give back to them - but what I want to know is are they going to find out via the tax code that comes back that I was claiming JSA etc?

I am a single person and was always on a single person's tax code before when I was working.

If someone could shed any light I'd be grateful, I am worrying now!

Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience ;)

Inca V Crapital One: Low monthly payments accepted - Paid

Inca V HSBC (Charges): WON - Charge reversed.

Inca V Barclaycard/CSL: Complaint sent after CSL illegally took money from my account. Dispute ready to send: Not heard anything since March 2009! Jan 2011 Rc'd letter from new debt collectors saying they have bought the debt. Joy!

Inca's Nan V Saga Card: Utter *****!! Low payments eventually accepted

Inca's Nan V MBNA: Low payments accepted

Inca's sister V Moorcroft: WON. Low payments accepted.

Inca's sister V Thames Credit: Nothing received. Dispute sent 08/01/09: Not heard a dicky bird since March 2009!

No, you're worrying unnecessarily.

Your tax code wouldn't show that you were on JSA and nor would any information from the tax office. All it would show is amounts of taxable earnings/income which would include JSA but wouldn't specify it individually.

However, the jobcentre's details are printed on the P45 that they send to you after you sign off, so you don't want to give your new employer that.

Insyder said: "However, the jobcentre's details are printed on the P45 that they send to you after you sign off, so you don't want to give your new employer that."

Do you know how this can be avoided, as wouldn't it be compulsory to send your P45 (which would have this stamp on) to your next employer?

Thanks.

Thanks for replying. Sorry to sound ignorant, however, but how then does the new employer receive the correct information from you regarding the income you made and tax you paid prior to joining (in order to be put on the correct tax code). Is there another form?

Employers usually ask Employees who do not provide a P45 to complete a P46.

When the P46 is completed the employer sends it to the Tax Office and operates a week 1 basis for the emplyee until the Tax Office provides a code.

From memory the only difference is that a normal code operates on a cumulative basis whereas a week one doesn't

Also you can send your P45 to your employers Tax Office if you do not want them to see that you were on JSA.

Either way expect to be on an emergency tax code for a month or two whilst your tax coding is sorted out. This will either appear on your payslips as:

• 647L W1 (week 1 basis)
  • 647L M1 (month 1 basis)
  • BR (month 1 basis)

The first 2 codes will give you your personal allowance spread over the year on a non cumulative basis. BR means that you will receive no personal allowance and all of your taxable pay is taxed at 20%, this is also non cumulative.

On a 647L emergency tax code the amount of tax you pay will be near enough correct with little under or overpayment at the end of the tax year. With BR you can easily build up a substantial overpayment of tax. Any overpayment will be made to you via your pay (once the correct tax coding notification has been received by your employer) on PAYE or at the end of the tax year.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.