Could i be accused of benefit fraud! help

shelly62
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive posted on this site before and not have had much help so here goes again.

Im worried that I may be investigated for benefit fraud. It all started just over 3 years ago when my ex overpaid his council tax. We had been together from 1991 until we split for good in 2003. Our relationship was very much off and on due to his heavy drinking. He had no permanent home and stayed with various friends and relatives and was not registered to pay council tax anywhere. He still held a full time job though and we had a child in 1996. The problem arose when he got his own house in 2003 and started paying rent and council tax. In 2006 he noticed he had overpaid his council tax and asked for a refund and was told to list all his previous addresses so in a moment of madness he told them that he stayed with me from 1991 until 2003,( he told me he couldn't remember the addresses he had stayed at and didn't think id mind if he said he'd stayed with me!!!! ) I was horrified as i'd been unemployed and claiming benefits during that period (1991-2003)

So 3 years ago I recieved a letter from the housing benefit office asking me to confirm that he'd stayed with me, I went to the office and explained that he'd stayed the odd time but had been mainly staying with friends and relatives. The women I talked to was very nice and accepted my explanation and told me they were taking it no further but said it was up to the council tax office if they wanted to persue it. I have heard nothing from the council tax office. Can anyone tell me if the council tax office are likely to investigate it, bearing in mind it was 3 years ago?

I can't prove where he lived during that period as it was so long ago and most of the people he stayed with have moved. Do investigaters not have to have definite proof that he lived with me? Most of his mail went to his grandmothers who he stayed with occasionally, nothing of his, that I know off, was sent to my address.

I keep worrying about this even though we have been apart for 6 years, I keep expecting to get a letter saying im being investigated for fraud, I don't see how i could prove he didn't live with me but also can't see how investigators could prove he did!

I know this post is long and complicated but I don't know what to do, am I worrying about something that may never happen? Please someone help me as i've got myself in a right state about it!

To get a conviction, they would have to prove that you resided within the same household (not just the odd night here and there) and were financially connected.

If he wasn't on your utility accounts, bank accounts, and was not using your address for post etc then it would be very very difficult for them to prove. If a case is going to be difficult to prove they tend not to pursue it.

It's not you that has to prove anything - it's up to them to prove fraud was going on and that you were a party to it, and as you weren't you have nothing to worry about.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)