M&S Agreement

citocoms
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have cca'ed for a chargecard M&S agreement. They have sent me back a copy of the signed 'Application'.

It has a Credit Limit request tick boxes, I ticked £500, but not an actual Credit Limit on signature side of form or reverse side.

It has terms and conditions on the non signature side. Do you know if these count under the '4 corner rule', i.e. terms and conditions on the other side of the form you sign on?

The signature side is titled .... Application Form, underneath in smaller print, first box of signature side of form, it does state CCA ...., also the reverse side is headed CCA Regulated.... as the title.

Your thoughts on enforceability would be appreciated.

Hi Cito....any chance you can post it up on here ? photo or scan it MINUS THE PERSONAL DETAILS - use www.photobucket.com (free) if need be and there is a tutorial here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/165941-photobucket-video-tutorial.html

In the meantime this may assist you -

CCA RULES FOR PRESCRIBED TERMS

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT

8.2 What if prescribed terms are missing or incorrect?

s127(3) provides that the court may not make an enforcement order unless a document containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor – see Q1.21.

If therefore any of the prescribed terms is missing, or incorrect, the agreement is not enforceable against the debtor, and the court is precluded from making an enforcement order.

8.3 What are the prescribed terms?

The prescribed terms specified in Sch 6 are as follows:

* amount of credit – see Q8.

* credit limit – see Q8.5

* repayments – see Q8.9.

* rate of interest – see Q8.6

Sch 6 was not amended by the 2004 Regulations.

IS MY AGREEMENT ENFORCEABLE( Via section 127(3) CCA1974)

PRESCRIBED TERMS FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECTIONS 61(1)(0) AND 127(3) OF THE

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974 Taken from sced.6(1983/1553) regulations

(If you just want to find out, skip the bits in between the stars it’s just some extra information)

**What do we mean by unenforceable?

In the Consumer Credit Act section 127 there is a provision for making an agreement unenforceable if it does not contain certain pieces of information.

Subsections 1,2,3,4 state which pieces of information these are, and everything mentioned there must be included within the body of the agreement, if one is missing the agreement is unenforceable.

How does unenforceable differ from enforceable with a court order only?

When an agreement is unenforceable it means that the court or the judge cannot make a ruling on it. The court cannot make it enforceable.

When an agreement is enforceable only by ruling of the court it means that the agreement can be stopped by the debtor but the court has the power to re-instate it and allow the credit to continue to enforce.**

The Prescribed Terms are these

A Amount of credit

A term stating the amount of credit

B Repayments

A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following-

(a) Number of repayments;

(b) Amount of repayments;

© Frequency and timing of repayments;

(d) Dates of repayments;

(e) The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.

C Rate of interest

A term stating the rate of interest to be applied to the credit issued under the agreement

D Credit limit

This may be a term or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit.

--------------------------

Which of these applies to you depends on the type of agreement you have?

For a Running Account (credit card) agreement

BC and D Apply

For a Restricted Use Debtor Creditor Supplier

• Where the dealer is the supplier and the creditor is the one providing the finance.
  • The money can only be used for the purpose it is given.
  • There is no interest on the purchase (the cash price is the same as the total price)
  • And there is no advance payment

A is applicable

For a fixed Sum Credit Agreement

A conventional credit agreement with none of the above restrictions

A and B apply

For a Hire Agreement

B is Applicable

This paper only covers section 127(3) of the Act agreements can also be unenforceable by contravention of sections 1 and4 this will be the subject of the next paper.

Please note that these Prescribed terms where not changed in any way by the 2004/1482 Ammendments although the form in which they appear on the agreement was. Subsection127(3) was repealed on the 6th of April 2007 so that unenforceability due to 127(3) will only apply to agreements executed before that date.

What does this mean?

This paper only covers section 127(3) of the Act agreements can also be unenforceable by contravention of sections 1 and4 this will be the subject of the next paper.

Where can I get, or when will, the next 'paper' be available, and from whom? Is it available now?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got news today from a claims management company that there may be one major breach and two infringements of legislation; agreement unenforceable in my opinion if that is the case, awaiting details.

That said a consumer solicitor I contacted today said M&SC Agreements are normally watertight so he would be surprised; time will tell.

Edited by citocoms

I too have had an application/agreement sent to me by M&S. After several letters pointing out that there were no prescribed terms, I sent a CPR 31 16 request. Their reply was that the application is an agreement - despite no prescribed terms - and that the lack of a signature by M&S, as well, was a minor detail, that they are sure the courts would overlook.

It is now being handled by one of the more unscrupulous DCA's, so you can guess where I am going with this.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

HELP

Just been told today that (and hopefully my wifes later) Cahoot Credit Card is Unenforceable and they will take it on. So why HELP, the Caims Companies cannot deal with people in Northern Ireland, just England &Wales. Phoned leading Solicitor and advised they do not deal with Unenforceable Credit Cards or Store Cards (same claims company advise my M&S Chargecard Agreement is Unenforceable), they are one of the foremost Solicitors in England that deal with Unenfoceable Agreements.

Help, what do I do now, back against the wall, 2 unenforceable agreements and nowhere to turn to for help, help.

Ok, got my report today.

One prescribed breach (Unenforceable) and two breaches (enforceable only by order of a court).

The prescribed breach, APR/Interest, a breach of a prescribed term (as defined in Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreement) Regulations 1983 as amended)for the purposes of sections 61(1)(a) and 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I may have to go to court on this one as it is not clear cut (Claims Company must have forgot to mention that when selling me the report?).

I know from reading that a lot of these so called Unenforceable Agreements just result in a part settlement, now I understand why.

The other two breaches relate to 'The agreement does not provide the total charge for credit' and 'The Terms and Conditions do not state that the calculation of APR does not take into account possible variations in the rate of interest.'

I also now know that their is one company out there who do not charge, as Claims Companies apparently get paid a decent fee for referring cases to Solicitors to pursue. The Solicitors get their money fom the company being pursued (your loan company). So no need to pay big fees.

Now N.I. is a bit problematic as we do not to my knowledge have CCA 1974 experienced ligitagators, or I can't find them.

• 2 months later...

Thread moved to the newly opened M&S forum:grin:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D