HSBC Charges and me.. £993

ukdickie31
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Have read these posts for a while now so took the plunge last week (9th March) and hand delivered my letter to my back asking for my 6 years of charges back (£993). :)

Had the standard "we are looking into it" reply on 13th March.

The 14 days is up on 23rd March. I will see what letter I get next...

Been through the system. Keep going... it works !

predictable reply today..

dear...

now fully investigated...

charges are correct..

terms and conditions enclosed...

Looks like stage 2 now... spreadsheet done, £993 now goes to £1320.89 when I add interest and even more when I add charges.

Next letter will no doubt be.... "take your account elsewhere.." I already am in the process of doing this. When complete (in April), I will get 4.55% gross on my current account, not 0.1% !!!

Game on.

This is taken from another post,,, slightly ammended for my circumstances... Any suggestions before I print off and hand deliver tomorrow ?

The Manager

HSBC

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir,

Account Number:

Sort Code:

Thank you for your reply dated 16 March 2006.

I am now following up my letter delivered by hand on 9th March. In the letter

I outlined a request for all charges on the account to be refunded within

14 days, and that I may take further action should the matter not be resolved.

I have calculated charges to total the sum of £993.00 and you have stated that these are correct and in line with your published terms and conditions.

Whilst your charges may be as described in your literature, it does not excuse the fact that they are punitive in nature.

I now make a final request before action, for a refund of charges on the account to the sum of £993.00 by direct credit to the account.

Should you refuse to refund the charges within seven days I will start proceedings for recovery in the County Courts where you be eligible for an extra 8% APR as allowed by the County Courts Act (1984) which I have calculated to be an additional £327.89 in addition to my court costs.

Please note that only full satisfaction of my request will avoid court proceedings, any partial refund will be refused by myself as I believe I am entitled to this money.

Yours faithfully

I printed off my last six years statement and hand delivered my above letter today.

Let's count the days until next Thursday and see what surprises the Bank bas in store.

Got a letter today in response to my 2nd letter.

Basically it's saying the charges are "fair and reasonable" and "less than those applied by our competitors."

I have been dealing with this direct to my local branch rather than go higher and get the M Bowden standard replies.

I feel I am now at the stage of no return and that Moneyclaim is my next step. I will take the Moneyclaim route but will appreciate any help. I have read the FAQs and Library and just would like some support if any is out there.

Thanks

The original letters for £993 got me nowhere but standard fob off replies so I kept my word and did the Moneyclaim. I guess the 14 days will have to take into account Easter and the games the Bank will play. I don't expect a Court date just yet but assume they will state they will defend. This game of ping pong is not over yet.

With interest and Fees.. £993 turns into £1443.51

I did my claim on line on Sunday.

Issue date was Monday 3/4/06

They have acknowledged the claim today 5/4/06

That was quick.

They now have 28 days from the date of service to lodge a defence.

Given that the date of service is deemed as 8/4/06, I guess that takes them up to Monday 8 May to actually lodge the defence (taking into account all of the Bank Holidays).

Oh isn't this game fun !

ukdickie,

You seem to be thin on the ground in terms of replies so I thought I'd make my first post on here a good luck one.

Best of luck with you claim against HSBC.

I look forward to your updates and sincerely hope you get the result you deserve.

I too will be taking such action against HSBC one day but I need to find a bank who will offer me an account first. Within the last year I have taken on car finance and a mortgage and have not missed a single payment but I can't find a banking institution who will offer me an account!

Once again, best of luck.

Thank you for the posting.

I have today received a letter with news that I have to agree to keep confidential.

I can't therefore disclose the details as the matter is now ended.

I am very very happy.

It does pay to perserve. Please bear this in mind when playing the games. You must keep to your timescales, keep focussed and be prepared to go to court.

A big big thank you to the Consumer Action Group.

Clearly they have offered settlement in return for confidentiality. If you are happy with this result, then well done. However, before you sign anything, ensure that you add words to the effect that the settlement is for charges past, and that you reserve the absolute right to contest the legality of charges should they be applied in the future.

Again, well done. I'm about a week away from my big claim with HSBC...and I may be joining you in silence (though I hope not...)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't think that will be necessary as I have swapped accounts. When all finally cleared I will close it.

I look forward to your success and wish you all the best.

Well done.

Posting my prelim letter off to HSBC tomorrow. Have my back up bank account set up now so I'm all ready to go.

I hope you requested at least an extra £10k to keep quiet!

I believe it was Dave who when asked for confidentiality, said yeah for £50k and they told him he couldn't do them £50k worth of damage.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

But well done you. It's inspiring for me.

Carly

HSBC - full refund = £647

Capital One - full refund of £220 + court costs + interest

I believe it was Dave who when asked for confidentiality, said yeah for £50k and they told him he couldn't do them £50k worth of damage.

They have already put a price on the damage??? Oh, how so so so so so naive of them...oh well, they've got it coming, and they will wish they had settled with Dave for £50K. :rolleyes:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Can't remember if it was on here or on MSE - MSE I think...and thread is sooooo long to wade through....

Ahhhh - found it....

"You should have written the them explaining that you would enter into a confidentiality agreement, but you will see this as a seperate commercial agreement (which it is) - and the bidding starts at £50k.

This is more-or-less what I said to Abbey on the phone - they told me that I couldn't cause them £50k's worth of damage!! ;-)

(I didn't think that they would go for it - it was my way of saying "no" to confidentiality; however, faced with £50k - I would have kept my mouth shut. I have morals, but they don't stretch that far!! ;-) ) "

Love it!

HSBC - full refund = £647

Capital One - full refund of £220 + court costs + interest

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks