3 year old fridge freezer stopped working properly

thecornflake
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Saturday I noticed all the food in our firdge/freezer had defrosted. Further investigation (leaving an ice cude tray in it) proved it wa snot freezing anythign at all. Also the fridge part isn't cold anymore.

So, down to Comet yesterday to start quoting sale of goods at them and see what happens.

I actually managed to speak to the manager who happened to be sitting at the service desk. He was aware of the sale of goods act, but started going on about some new EU legislation (??) which he said I should use rather than SOG.

He didn't however think that the retailer was responsible and tried to get me to contact the manufacturer until he realised I actually knew what I was talking about. Finally I got a number and address from him for a department where they deal with these queries although in his words 'it's a lengthy process and not many people do this as they don't know about it'. I said I will make sure I tell as many people about it as possible then.

He also said (correctly) I would have to prove there was a fault, which shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I had to buy a new fridge as I've got a second freezer but I can't live without a fridge. I intend to claim this back off them plus the cost of a new freezer and the £60 worth of frozen food I bought last week.

I'm going to keep a diary on here of what happens. First step is to call the numebr he gave me and find out what the process is. And contact head office for a copy of the receipt (which I know they keep for 6 years as my wife used to work there).

I shall keep you all posted...

• Confused 1

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

In short, I have a hotpoint mistral fridge freezer FF72P which is designed to cut the compressor out if the ambient temp rises above 32 degrees celcius. During the recent hot spell, it cut out and I lost all my food for the second time is 18 months. The unit is now working perfectly again since the hot spell has finished. Is anyone else experiencing this problem as it could be countrywide?? I feel the unit which I purchased from comet is 'not fit for purpose' as who would have a fridge which has a compressor which is designed to cut out in hot weather? Seems ridiculous???

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me on the 4th August, the comet repair man came on the 9th and "cleared the ice build up from evaporator and air ducts" but it is still not working and I have to wait another week to get someone else round, this is totally unacceptable to me as I have 2 small children. please could I have the number you were given, as the comet service centre is useless ( the girl hung up on me for sighing at her!!!) Please also let us know how you are getting on with this.

Thanks,