Living in UK but have debts in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have recently moved back to the UK after living in Australia. I did accumilate some debt in Australia and i'm not able to keep up with the repayments due to lack of work in the current financial climate.

Does anyone know my legal situation with regards to this and can i be taken to court or forced to pay the debts in the UK?

Ps I do intend to pay the debt off eventually but i cannot see myself being in that position for some time.

Thanks

Tyke

Without knowing the exact nature of the debts, and the law in Oz, we can only guess - but my guess is that the debts will be of a civil nature. As such, the chances of any kind of pursuit of you for the debts whilst resident abroad would be nigh on zero.

That said, this forum does not condone debt avoidance - as such, I would reiterate the point you have (rightly) made, that you do intend to repay the debt at some point.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I'm also inclined to agree with MrShed. Although I would use this time as a little breathing space and work out how much you could pay back if they were indeed to track you down. Regardless of how little you think it is, that way then it will show willing, and even if you were to put that money aside each week or month again it will show willing, and if you aren't traced then it will be a nice little shopping spree. You would have to check the Limitations act for Oz, as it varies depending what part of Australia you were living in. I know that western Australia has a similar time period to the UK of 6 years.:cool:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If its a personal loan, then it is almost without doubt a civil matter, and as such no power to pursue outside of the country.

I assume you currently have no assets within Australia?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!