Discussion on enforceability of agreements

toto003
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Steven,

Sorry if I have missed something on the thread. You refer in the first example to the fact that the right to cancel is missing.

I have an Amex thread which I am still working on and will post the rest of the stuff on my thread, but thought this might affect others as well.

There is a box on the front of the application form as follows:

Your right to cancel

Once you have signed this agreement, you will have for a short time a right to cancel it. Exact details of how and when you can do this will be sent to you by post by American Express.

Should the exact details be on the 'agreement'. Is it legit for them to say they'll let me know later?

Thank you.

DD

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't got a clue!

I was thinking about saying I wanted to go and see the original. I don't think the back fits the front. I think it has prescribed terms but they are not in the same sort of order you normally see. Everyone else I have seen who has an Amex as old as mine (2000) seems to think they are unenforceable. I don't have a scanner, so will type the whole lot out on my thread.

Thanks again.

DD

Hi there, I was just wondering as whether anybody here knew about the enforceability of this

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...scan0001-1.jpg

This is what I received in response to a request made to Littlewoods. There was also a covering letter stating that the account was opened in 1992, although this document is signed by my partner in 2002.

There is only her signature on there, not that of Littlewoods.

Edited by joeybartonisadca

Which DCA should we bring down first?

Answers on a postcard :D

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the message recieved today! I am very gratefull and beginning to understand a bit better now, about debts, crdit agrements etc! Thanks to this Site.:-)

I have just heard from Next, who after recieving my request for a CCA, have now after all the faffing around, readily accepted the offer of reduced payments, with no Interest added.

As for Studio, well they dig their heels in, although they do ask me to send a PB and may reconsider my initial offer. Eventhough they are aware of my situation already! So i have decided to send this, however my signature will have lines through it, just in Case, as did my other letters.

I would just like to ask you one thing more, for clarification. Is a customer allowed to ask for a CCA or SAR, whether or not he/she has a conflict with a company! :confused:

Thanks Steve, for all the info and helpfull tips i have recieved! I am at this moment not in a position to Donate, but i can tell you i most certainly will once i have got my mess sorted out! :-)

Hi there, I was just wondering as whether anybody here knew about the enforceability of this

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...scan0001-1.jpg

This is what I received in response to a request made to Littlewoods. There was also a covering letter stating that the account was opened in 1992, although this document is signed by my partner in 2002.

There is only her signature on there, not that of Littlewoods.

THis is a modifying agreement but it looks in order. For enforceability it only needs your partner's signature and the prescibed terms, which are all there - crdit limit, payment terms and interest rate.

Any suitable letters to reply to a cca request when all they send is an application form with no prescribed terms on ?

Lowell Financial (Monument) No CCA - File Closed ** WON**:D

1st Credit (Citi Financial) No CCA - Credit Report Marked 'Satisfied' ** WON **:D

American Express No CCA - Pending

RBS Mint No CCA - Pending

CL Finance (Morgan Stanley) No CCA - In Court:eek:

HSBC - No CCA - In Court:eek:

Link Financial (MBNA) No CCA - Pending

Hi Steven

So a creditor signature is not required on agreements for enforcability purposes?

What about not having anywhere on the agreement to even include a creditor signature?

It has to have the creditor's signature to be properly executed. If it isnot properly exeduted, it can only be enforced by a court. A court will enforce it if it has the debtor's signature and the prescribed terms.

The requirement is to send a Default Notice, s.87/s.88.

There is no requirement to prove the Notice was received.

So, to answer the question, can they start proceedings based on a Default Notice that wasn't received, then the answer would be yes.

Of course, having said that, part of the Defence to such a claim should be to put them to proof of the actual documents sent, along with supporting evidence to suggest that it was sent, which would probably suffice to allow enforcement of an enforceable debt under a CCA.

thanks Car whew this thread is rocking isnt it hard to keep up.

If MBNA have taken this sneaky I sent you a default route 'but didnt' I wonder if I could also quote the amount of people on here that have experienced the same, this would make balance of probabilities at court that they probably never sent it in the first place! what do you think

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Muffintop I cant comment on MBNA but I have had experience with HSBC and Egg advising they had issued default notices and pursuing when they hadnt.

Egg actually realised they hadnt and so re-issued.

HSBC still maintain that they sent one despite no supporting evidence.

So I do think that this practice does go on with creditors.

What makes it worse is that they maintain cotrol over the information at CRA's and they wont do anything without the lenders say so... What a society we live in

thanks Car whew this thread is rocking isnt it hard to keep up.

If MBNA have taken this sneaky I sent you a default route 'but didnt' I wonder if I could also quote the amount of people on here that have experienced the same, this would make balance of probabilities at court that they probably never sent it in the first place! what do you think

I don't think it will make a difference - it would only prove the number of people that haven't received their Default Notices, not the number of Default Notices that haven't been issued as you're suggesting.

Hi again Steven

Thanks for the clarification

You advised "A court will enforce it if it has the debtor's signature and the prescribed terms."

I take it that in this case, this is regardless of whether it is post or pre April 2007?

A Court can enforce a debt under an agreement that is improperly executed, which a missing creditor signature would make it, under s.65 and are not excluded from doing that due to s.127(3) which requires an agreement with the prescribed terms and the debtors signature on it. (The creditors signature isn't required)

The only way you'd avoid enforcement is if you can show that you were prejudiced by the improper execution under s.127(1) but you'd be hard pushed to convince a Court to refuse an enforcement order, IMHO.

Whether the agreement is pre- or post- April 2007 is irrelevant.

I don't think it will make a difference - it would only prove the number of people that haven't received their Default Notices, not the number of Default Notices that haven't been issued as you're suggesting.

How would one go about issuing a default notice on the credit card in questions file as they have done to others without them even having an opportunity to defend themselves, and then have to fight to get it removed? surely they shouldnt have monopoly on this nasty practise, do unto others as they say, is it a case of filing it through court then forgetting to let them know? very tempted.

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

How would one go about issuing a default notice on the credit card in questions file as they have done to others without them even having an opportunity to defend themselves, and then have to fight to get it removed? surely they shouldnt have monopoly on this nasty practise, do unto others as they say, is it a case of filing it through court then forgetting to let them know? very tempted.

Not sure what you mean there.

A Default Notice is a precursor to taking enforcement action - the onus is on sending it, not making sure it was received.

If you're suggesting taking Court action without sending premilinary and LBA letters, then that is a dodgy area as the Court will want to see that you've taken the necessary action to attempt to resolve the issue before taking that action. To satisfy CPR in relation to preliminary attempts to resolve, you'd need to show that you sent those letters along with proof of that taking place - either in the form of proof of postage or receipt of the letters. CPR doesn't require proof of postage or receipt of a Default Notice, but the creditor must be able to show that one was sent. (Usually by a entry on an account ledger, for example)

No it was not a top-up loan. Whilst I did have an Egg credit card at that time, this was additional borrowing for a different purpose.

It was not agreed that it had to be used to pay off an Egg credit card etc.