Help: I think I've got undiiagnosed ADD or ADHD

Guest mediaseller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can I ask what you do? What is your lifestyle like? Is you brain kept active by what you do? This may seem like a plug, but my OH got one of those Nintendo things with Brain Training a couple of months ago and has religiously gone through the exercises on a daily basis. She is now claiming much sharper brain power (not that she needed much as she was always ahead of me anyway). I have started doing the exercises myself and I have to agree with her - they do sharpen you up.

Guest mediaseller
Can I ask what you do? What is your lifestyle like? Is you brain kept active by what you do? This may seem like a plug, but my OH got one of those Nintendo things with Brain Training a couple of months ago and has religiously gone through the exercises on a daily basis. She is now claiming much sharper brain power (not that she needed much as she was always ahead of me anyway). I have started doing the exercises myself and I have to agree with her - they do sharpen you up.

No.

This is completely something different.

All my life I have had difficulty with concentrating and it's nothing that BrainTrainer could help with.

This is at Neurological level.

If you have something constructive to say I would appreciate this.

Blood tests are part of the normal and routine investigations for these types of symptoms, which unhelpfully can be caused by probably hundreds of thousands of variables.

You say in your post that you're 56 and that the forgetfulness has worsened recently... this almost certainly excludes a diagnosis of ADD where substantial impairment has onset

I think as Trilby suggested you may in the first instance find cognitive training of some form useful; regardless of whatever this turns out to be I can guarantee that an occupational therapist would be prescribing this.

Hope this helps, if you'd like anything further just ask. :)

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

Guest mediaseller
Blood tests are part of the normal and routine investigations for these types of symptoms, which unhelpfully can be caused by probably hundreds of thousands of variables.

You say in your post that you're 56 and that the forgetfulness has worsened recently... this almost certainly excludes a diagnosis of ADD where substantial impairment has onset

I think as Trilby suggested you may in the first instance find cognitive training of some form useful; regardless of whatever this turns out to be I can guarantee that an occupational therapist would be prescribing this.

Hope this helps, if you'd like anything further just ask. :)

Thanks seftonview.

My issue is more to do with the fact that my doctor seems to be humoring me and saying that beyond the blood tests there is nothing he can do. He did not even appear to care and possibly thinks I'm malingering.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mediaseller:(

I'ts unlikely that your doctor think you're malingering, unless you have a clinical history of such things.

If you're not satisfied with the way he's directing your care at present, you could make an appointment to see another practitioner at the surgery, or alternatively ask your PCT to allocate you to a new GP.

SV

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest mediaseller

Thanks Kelticspirit.

My surgery contacted me to say that my local AHA are setting up a new clinic which opens for business in May specializing in this subject, (ADD in adults). I have been referred to this clinic so hopefully a psychologist will see me.

Regards.

Mediaseller. :)

That's great news Mediaseller,I wish you all the best.I have a lot of experience with ADHD,my son was diagnosed with this when he was 7 & now at an age of 22, he still has it.It's a minefield out there with information on ADHD & when my son was referred a couple of years back as an adult, turns out that he is on the autistic spectrum showing signs of aspergers,but still has ADHD.

Regards

Any idea what the provision for adult ADD is like generally in the UK? I've heard that in the US doctors are more willing to believe that adult ADD is possible than doctors in the UK; we've always suspected that my OH has undiagnosed ADD (he's 25) but fear that English doctors may be more unsympathetic as it's still somewhat of a 'myth' over here...

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Guest mediaseller

demon_x_slash

In my opinion Doctors in the UK tend to take a firmer stance than in the US were having a therapist is the accepted norm.

We in the UK take the robust stand of "Pull yourself together man".

There is a view among some people that one is using a label of convenience for sloppy personal performance. This is simply not the case since living with this condition is a ruddy nightmare.

Id like to see the accusers perform under the same difficulties.

Mediaseller;)