Hardship and Reserve Charges ***Refunded***

mossysue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I made a successful claim in 2006 for approx £4000. I am now going to make another for around £1700. I have added on these reserve fee charges of £22, but reading around, I am wondering that as I have 'agreed' to this', I won't be able to claim them. Does anyone know?

thanks

Hi, MSue,

No one can really say as the Reserve Fees have not been "tested" with a court claim yet. You have only agreed by default - ie by NOT opting out and sticking with the old regime.

Claim them anyway, on the basis of "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained".

Another theory (thanks to Bookworm) is to opt out of the new fees structure. Then, if you incur a/c fees, they'll be the old type which may be easier to reclaim.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 months later...

I have now sent prelim letter to Barclays on April 1st. Have already had letter back saying they will deal with it by 6th May at the latest. Will follow up 14 day action plan and send second letter on 18th April.

I meant to say, I am claiming hardship as this is genuinely the case. I have now been sent a load of stuff from Barclays including a Budget Planner to fill in.

I can fill it in for them, but do I need to then send second letter - bit confused, any advice welcome.

Hi MS,

I'd send the 2nd letter anyway, as well as completing the I&E forms which Barclays have sent to you.

This keeps your options open. :)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mossy Sue,

Excellent result and congratulations.

Any donation you can manage will be used well !!

Thread title changed to reflect your win. :D

I am having similar issues with b'clays, hardship, been a student and all that.

Wondering what format of letter you sent, etc as i am considering giving it ago,

I usually go 2,3,4 pounds or so, and get done by this stupid charge putting me 22,23,24etc in debt, which then goes on and on.

Thanks for any help you can pass my way.

I just used the template from this site that includes a plea for hardship. I simply stated facts and was sent a budget form by the bank. They needed to know my income and expenditure. Some of the amounts were estimates, and I explained this.

I waited a while after sending it off ( about one month) and then sent the second letter -template from this site.

It is straightforward, just be honest with them.

I was surprised how prompt they were, but appreciated their goodwill gesture of the repayment of my money.

Was the narrative for the payment "fishergate-preston"?

Have the confirmed as well that they have refunded the reserve fees as well?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I was trying to clarify the points, Barclays have been very keen to stress that they don't pay out reserve fees because they aren't part of the waiver, and that they are fair, etc,etc,. They have however, been paying out a lot on hardship with the narrative on the statement for the payment which states something like "fishergate Preston". However, with many other Barclays claims they have a cut off point around August 2008 when they introduced the reserve fees. I just want to be absolutely certain that they are now INCLUDING rather than EXCLUDING reserve fees. I think you mentioned they paid out more than you were expecting which is why I wanted to clarify the narrative on the refund.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Sorry Stush, but I don't see that the two matters are related.

If you reclaim bank charges but not on Hardship grounds, the claim will be Stayed. If a bank makes negative credit files entries on an account with a Stayed claim, you'd contest the entries - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/149449-put-your-credit-reference.html#post1581179

If you reclaim charges as a Hardship case, one would hope you'd get a faster refund. If there are negative credit entries on the a/c, they should be amended to reflect the refunded amounts.

If you want to discuss this further, please do so on your own thread to avoid hijacking. :)