HBoS being weird

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks.

Just a quick update. I got the letter confirming the amount of the refund, but they are going to send me forms to sign for a new loan without the PPI. They also sent me a letter informing me I'd been charged £10 for them chasing me by phone!

I really hope they aren't naive enough to think that I'm going to let this slide. They're gonna have another thing coming if they think that just returning the money gets them off the hook.

mokeylobster - that's pretty incredible! I knew HOBOS were in the sh*te but charging you £10 for them telephoning you is a bit desperate isn't it?

Come to think of it, what a great way to make money. You call someone a few times and charge them £10 a go. With half a dozen staff calling , say 20 punters a day, 5 days a week, that's £6,000/week without having to sell anything.

I reckon that could be just what they need to get themselves out of public debt. With all the branches and customers they have it shouldn't take very long either - LOL!!

What a cheeky shower of crooks. Have you considered charging them for your phone calls?

Hi there, thanks for the replies

I got the email with the interview, thanks noomill, and don't worry, there's not a chance in hell I'll be signing anything they send through!

I am certainly considering charging them for the calls, rickyd. It's just taking the p**s on so many levels!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Sorry for the lack of info about my case. I had a huge problem with my flat I had to sort out, which is thankfully fixed now.

I have received the new agreement from HBOS, which I'm not sending back! I have managed to stop them phoning me, too, which is a relief.

I will get started on my LBA this week and let you guys check it out when I have finished it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've been getting bothered by HBOS calling me and sending letters chasing payments for the loan. They took a double payment from my bank account to get me up to date with payments on 31 Aug. I managed to get this refunded by going into the bank and speaking with the bank manager who, in turn, spoke to the collections department and got them to refund the cash to me, as I had stated I didn't want to make any more payments until this was all sorted out, although he said they might do it again as the account would be back in arrears. Given that they are in breach of contract, and if someone in their legal department actually looked at my agreement they would see this straight away, what right do they have to continue to take payments from me?

• 1 month later...

Hi there, sorry for the lack of updates, there just hasn't been anything for me to say.

I've just arrived back from work and received a letter back from HBOS stating that the loan is enforceable. I will scan this and put it up tomorrow. I immediately called them and asked to speak to the relevant manager, who had gone home for the day, so I requested a call back.

The juicy part of the letter states 'We consider that the loan agreement complies with the requirements of Part V of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the relevant regulations made pursuant to that Act, in particular the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) (as amended). It is denied that the agreement is defective as alleged or otherwise. The loan is valid and enforceable.'

I would open an account with another bank and move your funds too as they will keep trying to bring your loan account into balance, especially now they have decided it is "enforceable".

You have to remember that collections will be going on internal instructions coming from the decision factory above them. They will continue trying to take they payments they have been told to take.

Arf, arf :D

Just received the call back that I mentioned I was getting in a post above. The guy confirmed that, despite the final sounding tone of the part of the letter I quoted above, it was actually a holding letter and that they had referred it to their legal department, and this was after they had written that letter with that laughable sentence at the end.

I can't believe they sent that letter out without speaking to their legal team in the first place. What total morons.

Hi there, sorry for the lack of updates, there just hasn't been anything for me to say.

I've just arrived back from work and received a letter back from HBOS stating that the loan is enforceable. I will scan this and put it up tomorrow. I immediately called them and asked to speak to the relevant manager, who had gone home for the day, so I requested a call back.

The juicy part of the letter states 'We consider that the loan agreement complies with the requirements of Part V of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the relevant regulations made pursuant to that Act, in particular the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) (as amended). It is denied that the agreement is defective as alleged or otherwise. The loan is valid and enforceable.'

Well, they would say that wouldnt they :rolleyes:

It might be a good idea to remove all personal information and barcodes and let us see a copy of the agreement/whatever :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 8 months later...

Hi folks,

I'm sorry I haven't posted anything for a few months. I had some nasty personal rubbish to deal with, and it's only now that I feel I can get this moving again.

I complained to the FOS about HBOS wanting me to sign another agreement, before they would release my funds, which they have no right to have, back to me, but the FOS came down on the side of HBOS, and said 'it was within their guidelines'.

I have started work on the POC, which noomill very kindly posted earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering whether or not I need to include the ruling by the FOS in the POC, as HBOS are sure to mention this when I raise my court action against them?

The agreement is available earlier in the thread, citizenB.

Right, so the funds they wont release are the refund of the PPI, yes ?

In which case HBoS will expect you to sign a new agreement which will be minus any reference to PPI. This is correct. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear:(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi citizenB,

Yes, that's right, although the issue now is whether or not the current agreement I have with HBOS is enforceable, although, as I mentioned, I am quite concerned that the FOS ruling would be brought up.

They will most likely refer to the FOS decision, if it is in their favour, which it obviously is.

IMHO, if there is PPI attached to the agreement and it was mis sold then the agreement must by virtue of that be unenforceable.

By having you sign a new and restructured agreement, that would put your signature to a document that they will almost certainly ensure is compliant in every way.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.. Do you want to have a declaration that the agreement is unenforceable by virtue of the the mis sold ppi or do you want the refund.. I am not sure you can have both.

BCOBS

• 1 year later...

Hi, folks.

I lost my job in October last year and so had to stop paying my loan with Halifax, as I didn't have any money apart from JSA. I kept getting text messages and phonecalls, which I didn't answer, as I've been stressed out not having a job, and I didn't want to speak to them. However, I realised I couldn't let this go on and so spoke with Blair, Oliver, Scott today, and they mentioned I had been defaulted (I understand they are part of HBOS), and this notice would be on my credit file. I came to an arrangement with the lady I spoke to to pay £20 a month back, but I'm wondering if there is any way to get the default lifted, given my circumstances. Would it help to write a letter explaining how I was feeling, etc? The reason I ask is because I have an interview for a job with a financial services firm, and they do a credit check.

Thanks in advance,

ML

Would it help to write a letter explaining how I was feeling, etc?

Nope. It will make no difference whatsoever. They don't care one iota about you - except if they can screw money out of you and it doesn't matter to them if you can afford it or not. They will not lift any default or do anything to help you until you pay them back every penny even if most of it is made up of unlawful charges etc. etc.

Halifax are, in my opinion, the very worst of all of the High Street banks to deal with in matters such as these.

My advice is to send them a CCA request which is a request for a copy of your regulated credit agreement. If you have had this account since before 2007 you may find that it is unenforceable, so send off the CCA request and see what happens. You can find a template letter here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?590-Creditors-and-DCAs-Letter-Templates-Budget-Planner - you need letter N. Use a postal order and don't sign the letter, just use an electronic signature. Once you have a response, post it up here (remove personal details, barcodes etc.) and take it from there.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

as I didn't have any money apart from JSA

I came to an arrangement with the lady I spoke to to pay £20 a month back

Hi ML,

As Fred Bassett says, send a CCA request.

If your only income is JSA, then drop the payments to £1 per calender month.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Ditto all the above.

:lol:

Successfully claimed back mis-sold PPI (Barclays Bank) 2009-10 (£8500)

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!

Just out of interest, what if your current account is with Halifax?

I have an outstanding loan with BO&S to which I make monthly payments, they keep writing to me about increasing the payments, which I cant do as lost my job last year so my earning is up and down.

Our mortgage is with Halifax and the current account. My understanding is that BO&S are the inhouse teams so have access to my current account.