Philips Plasma 42PF7521D

Traceyp67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased the above Plasma TV from a mail order catalogue approximately 18 months ago. I have never had any problems with it until this morning! To start with when switched on it did nothing at all even though the green light was on. I then unplugged it from the socket and left it all day until my return from work. I plugged it in and low and behold it worked fine........for about 15 minutes then the picture went, leaving a black screen with just sound!! Tried the same trick again, unplugged it for around ten minutes, plugged it back in again, worked fine........for about the same length of time!!I know online catalogue companies offer a 12 month 'guarantee' o products purchased from the, I beleive Philips only offer12 months too. What can I do? I can ill afford to just go out and buy another I have only just finished paying for this luxury scrimping and saving with hard earned wages!! I am a single parent to 5 children and can ill afford extra cost, let alone at christmas and the thought of the kids being without TV for the christmas period is heart breaking, for them not me. Can you tell me if I have any rights as surely a TV that cost £900 new should last longer than 18 months before it develops faults?

Of course you have rights.

Under the Sale of Goods Act anything a company sells has to be fit for purpose and there is no way that they can consider that a 18month old plasma television at best part of £1000 will only last 18 months - I would expect at least 5 years if not more out of that machine.

In the first instance write to the catalog, detailing when you bought the TV and how much it cost. Tell them that you do not consider that 18 months is a reasonable lifespan for what is supposed to be a named brand product.

Dont let them fob you off and try and send you to the manufacturer - your contract is with them and not the MFR - tell them that unless you get a reasonable offer of recompense then you will be taking the matter up with the local trading standards.

Opinions are offered in good faith based upon personal experience and research. Before making any irreversible decisions the opinion of a qualified, registered and insured legal professional should be sought.

If my advice or information has assisted you in any way - please click my scales.

thanks

Nat West Charges £1056 WON

RBS Charges £3600 WON

RBS Unenforceable Loan £18500 Pending

RBS PPI on loan above Pending

MBNA Credit Card CCA & SAR Sent

Co-op Credit Card CCA Sent