Wrong Price Advertised

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently bought an external hard drive from Esclipse computers online which was advertised at £4.75 + p&p. The sale went through ok and I got a confirmation e-mail and an order number so I could track the order. However the item did not arrive after a few weeks so i e-mailed them and they said they the price was a mistake on their website and it should have been £47.50 + p&p and that no money had been charged to my card.

Can they do this even though they accepted and confirmed my order at the advertised price?

Just to add, I believe the general rule is whether a reasonable person would believe the advertised price to be a mistake - i.e, would one think "Cor Blimey Guv! That's a steal! At least 99% cheaper than the next cheapest one!" Or something along those lines.

If so then the seller should notify you ASAP and offer a full refund. If however ALL their goods look dirt cheap, then that's just plain misleading - a different kettle of fish.

It is a fine line - the legislation would say that as all catalog prices are not actually offers to sell but "invitations to treat" that they are not obliged to sell at the price advertised. (partridge v Crittenden)

However the Advertising Standards Agency and Trading Standards would not be too happy about consistant and deliberate mis pricing.

If you seriously believed that any external HDD could be bought for £4.75 then I am surprised.