Another Experian Thread!

sosumi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm copy/pasting the Evening Post article and comments, because sometimes those reader comments disappear. I think they're important:

Nottingham Evening Post, 3rd December 2008

- I'm copy/pasting this so that the comments following the article aren't lost:

Experian to axe up to 300 jobs

Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 09:30

44 readers have commented on this story.

Click here to read their views.

EXPERIAN is to cut up to 300 jobs from its UK and Ireland operation.

The Nottingham-based business information group said it will enter a 90-day consultation period with its 4,000 staff in January.

The cost-cutting programme was signalled last month when the company announced half-Year results showing flat results in the UK.

The company has seen sales hit by the credit crunch with banks and financial institutions less willing to lend and carrying out fewer credit checks.

Shoppers are also buying less on credit.

1x1.gif

Charlotte Hogg, managing director of Experian in the UK, said the precise number of roles to be cut will depend on how the business performs in the next few months.

The number of 300 was at the top end of the scale.

Ms Hogg said it was too early to say how many jobs or which areas of the business will be affected. It employs 2,000 in Nottingham.

She said: "It may not be 300 jobs so I don't want to worry people unnecessarily.

"I want people to learn from their manager and so I don't want a guessing game going on.

"But we do have about 60 vacancies currently so we will guide people towards them.

"The vacancies are in areas where we think the business can grow."

Ms Hogg added: "We are in a very challenging economic climate and the business is performing well.

"But we need to be prepared for next year and potentially the year beyond to make sure the business is sustainable and continuing to grow."

Comments (44)

• This is all down to greed, & shareholders wallets & purses. As long as the company is not at a loss, why cut back. ? because of greed.
    Adi, Gedling
    Report abuse commented on 06-Dec-2008 14:37

Name *
    Email *
    What is the primary reason you are reporting this message as abusive? General Abuse Profanity Explicit Content Impersonation Harassment Slander Racial Abuse Religious Abuse Spam Private Information
    Additional Comments?
  • Caliban,

Thanks for you post, it reinforced some concerns that I had.
    The programming side of the business has been losing a lot of talent lately, mostly due to the outsourcing.
    I get the impression that the company is trying to replace experienced IT guys with people that are simple Yes men.
    It really is a sad state of affairs for the real people out their. I can see the company seriously struggling to keep afloat.
    If they lose all the talented people, they will end up with egg on their faces.
    At this point in time, the management will be trying to avoid losing their jobs by pushing someone else out of the door, probably anyone that doesn't put up or shut up.
    Donald Trumpet, USA
    Report abuse commented on 06-Dec-2008 11:01

Name *
    Email *
    What is the primary reason you are reporting this message as abusive? General Abuse Profanity Explicit Content Impersonation Harassment Slander Racial Abuse Religious Abuse Spam Private Information
    Additional Comments?
  • I'd heard glowing reports about Charlotte Hogg but her reported comments are totally cack-handed, guaranteed to make everyone worried about their future (apart from Kaye, Cotter, Valentine and Thomas - who all should be worried about their futures). She must have had some pretty awful advice from her PR people to come up with that gibberish.

The rot at Experian set in when Don Robert became CEO. He doesn't understand the business well enough, hasn't grasped the detail, doesn't have any feel for the different cultures in different countries and has appointed lots of yes-men and old mates. Just look at how many of the Americans he's appointed that he's worked with before. And what about the previous UK managing director, another of his appointments! What a disastrous appointment, replacing people who really understood the business and were respected by the people who worked for them. And what about his foray into online businesses? Half of them had to be closed down and the only reason he hasn't got rid of PriceGrabber is because he can't find a buyer without incurring a thumping loss.

Although based since the flotation in Dublin (not Jersey), Experian is now an American company in all but name - even reporting in USdollars. So the folks still there should look at what's been going on in the US. It's a bloodbath, with mass layoffs on a regular basis. And they don't give redundancy payoffs over there. The statutory minimum of £310 per year worked that Experian UK paid and that Patel and Kaye claimed to be generous really is - when compared with the week's pay you get in total in the US.

Experian really was a great, innovative business with a team of people at every level who were committed to the business and really gave their all for it. No longer. The new management got rid of the heart and soul of the business. The credit crunch has played its part but the current management hasn't the experience or ability to combat it. What a shame for Experian, for its employees and for Nottingham.
    Caliban, Notts
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 23:45

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I totally agree with most of beenintheknow & others. I rose rapidly through the ranks from Junior Programmer to Senior Systems Analyst in a little under 6 years. I worked with some very very talented people that were real dynamic & forward thinkers. What they did worked....but they were outspoken.
    The problem started when sales people couldn't sell and Experians reliance on growth-by-acquisition ended in the floatation sell off. Because sales couldn't sell, product development slowed and management were exposed as idiots. But they will not sack themselves, no they'll look for alternatives - getting rid of he outspoken talented lot first to 'show authority' (I was actually told this by a senior manager) then outsourcing, then not retaining and not attracting quality staff. (I'm not implying everyone since 2004 is lower quality!)

I left because I was sat with nothing to do, I ran out of systems to rewrite, docs to redo...basically sales let us down in mks and the division went from a star to a shovel of sh1t.

Those that bleat on about how good it is, bear in mind you probably wouldn't get a job in the real world. You're probably safe in one of the divisions that is doing ok at the moment. Your time will come I'm afraid, unless there is a change in policy.

I actually got tracked down to rejoin the company - I certainly admired the attempt but politely refused, I'm doing pretty well on my own.

My thoughts rest with the majority of the staff there, I wish you all the best but my advice is look at if your skillset can get you a job outside the company and away from any bespoke inhouse systems. if you can't, use your time now to reskill yourself privately because UK operations are still not performing to double digit figures.

Last I heard the company is looking at moving the HQ elsewhere as they believe a Nottingham HQ is not helping them be taken seriously as a financial business worldwide. By 2012 Nottingham will be a regional office with pehaps under 200 staff. This smacks of shareholder pressure on weak management, and unfortunately ties in with recent announcements....
    Escapee, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 21:53

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Beenintheknowforyears - Thanks for the 'rant' just goes to show how bitter you are. It's a shame you didn't read my original post. I wasn't directing all my comments at you, I was pointing out that there is so much rubbish on here about what Experian has and hasn't done. You also seem to like to band quotes like 'ignorant' 'blinded' etc around quite freely. I apologise if my opinion on Experian is different to yours. You don't know who I am so I think you need to keep your opinions of me to yourself. A lot of your latest post is factually incorrect (no I can't be bothered to go into it see irritatedbyignorance's post for one ) so you'll understand if I treat the rest of your insight with a large bucket of salt.

Feel free to give me both barrels and call me some more. BTW - I am not indoctorated, far from it. This places treats me OK at the minute, I enjoy my job. That is far different from me agreeing with EVRYTHING that Experian does....I don't e.g. redudancy packages, cost cutting, spending on things that are irrlevant etc etc. But hey don't let what I actually think get in the way of you high and mighty attitude.
    Experian Employee for 7 Years, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 15:50

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • lol, capitalism.
    JP, Glasgow
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 13:16

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Let's just say that there is evidence around the Internet regarding how the company treats it's Staff and customers.
    Certain company review websites have plenty of informative information regards the problems with the company, the reviews are from around the globe, not just the UK.
    They pretty much sum up the company.
    Donald Trumpet, USA
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 13:07

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I think we can safely say that the camp is well and truly split on this one.
    People either love it or hate it.
    Personally, being made redundant was the best thing that could have happened to me.
    Better thought of, better treated and better paid.
    Good luck to those that are selected for redundancy, it may be hard-going to start off with but in the long run you'll look back and think it was the best thing in the world that could have happened !
    Mr Mojo, Mapperley
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 11:51

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • They do treat people badly, hence the opinions posted on here. It's how they go about the redundancies, not that there are some. This story is a prime example, what is the point of it do you think?
    libby, Bradford
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 11:50

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I don't frequent pubs, I prefer to drink at home.
    Beenintheknowforyears, At home
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 11:46

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Been in the know for years... more like been in the pub for years. You don't know what you are talking about! This very website recently reported that the UK&I business grew sales by 4% in the last half year. At the same time, its profits were down by 9%, which suggests that they need to get their costs in order. The problem with this business is that it grew tremendously quickly off the back of a credit boom, threw money at everything and anything because it had lots to spend, and given the economic downturn it now needs to cut its cloth accordingly. Phil Cotter is still at Experian by the way, and probably pretty glad that you aren't!
    Irritatedbyignorance, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 11:30

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Just back from a nice round of brown nosing... Wow - I do feel a bit sorry for you Been in the know for years - Experian must have really done you wrong for the level of hate that your showing.

We are a business - our objective is to make money, increase the share price and benefit the shareholders - many employees are shareholders themselves. In the current business world you've got to be ruthless to survive and succeed, jobs will be cut, work will be outsourced - that is the nature of the beast. I don¿t remember the time when it was any different - but I admit I don¿t have the length of experience that beenintheknow gave. If people have got a problem with companies like Experian go and get a job for a - PC - not profit making- in it for the good of humanity - charitable cause. If not then stop moaning and groaning about our successful business. Get over it, move on, free yourself from those hateful shackles! Life is too short.
    Lord Sniffle, Sneinton
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 11:19

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Those results are for Experian global, Experian UK is shrinking in organic terms. It's a business in trouble.
    Equifacts, Bradford
    Report abuse commented on 05-Dec-2008 10:19

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • The way you some of you lot go on it's as if you were doing Experian a favour by working there. There ARE good and bads parts of Experian just like EVERYOTHER large organisation. I may lose my job in Jan but hey I won't be coming on here complaining how 'The management are soooo nasty'.

It would help your cases if you acually got the facts correct e.g. The picture is of Landmark House not Embankment House where First Data reside.

I am not high up the tree and neither am I a brown noser I just live in the real world where times are hard and NOBODY owes you a job.
    Experian Employeer for 7 Years, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 20:42

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • These are very interesting comments, I belong to a big company that haven't stopped throwing out redundancies since 2000. Most of the feelings on here are the same. Management are obbsessed by change, damn the work force, even if peoplel have gave many years of service and worked very hard. Once you have shareholders, believe me, cut backs are always massive and the ground force is always the ones that are effected.
    Jay, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 18:04

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Been in the know for years + Mr Grinch

I've been happily working here for 5 years so have seen a bit from both sides - before the floatation on the stock market. Boy it has changed a lot since I started but again you have to except reality, you've got to change with the times!

Indoctrination's? Yes I really must be stupid following the herd just because I have an opinion which isn't the same as yours..... unfortunately for you both you DON'T know it all. You have your opinions based on experience (I hope) and I have mine.

Got some more brown nosing to do so i'll be off.
    Lord Sniffle, Sneinton
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 16:14

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Roger,
    It was an ok place to work back in 2005, although the warning signs were in place.
    When they floated the company on the stock exchange in 2006 everything changed.
    Gone was any kind of team building, pleasantries at work or communication with staff and instead a regime of oppressive control was instigated.
    No longer did the company invite employee input or contribute to any kind of decent working environment, instead it was a case of put up or shut up.
    I know that they had to keep shareholders happy but rather than invest in people who could provide new innovative solutions to increase market share in the workplace and thus bump up the share value, they blindly chose to remove their most expensive commodity, the experienced staff.
    Since then, standards have dropped as quickly as the share price, the credit crunch has hit and they don't have the workforce anymore to help them through it.
    I can only say that you got out at just the right time and have managed to retain a nice memory of your time at the company.
    Most others haven't had that luxury !
    Beenintheknowforyears, Free as a bird
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 14:53

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I started work in 1989 for CCN, until I left Experian in 2005 to move to the US. Always found them to be a fair employer. My management team was great. I always like to think that if I hadn't moved I would still be there. Good luck to any that are laid off, and good luck to any that stay.
    Roger, USA
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 13:54

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I agree with what you're saying Beenintheknowforyears.

They use indoctrination so that the herd don't know the reality.

Basically the powers that be want the herd to not question things.

Very sad state of affairs at present, they are sinking fast. I think that people are starting to realise that things are all rosy at Experian anymore.
    Mr Grinch, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 13:42

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Lord Sniffle, ForMetoKnow,
    How long have you been at that glorious establishment then ?
    My guess is that you're either long term and have succumbed to the indoctrinations, short term and don't know better or plain stupid.
    Take it from someone who did progress very nicely thank you over a career at CCN and then Experian for many years that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Good luck to yourselves when you find your backsides getting kicked out the door because the time's coming and you'll get no loyalty from that bunch.
    Where will your brown-nosing have got you then ?
    Beenintheknowforyears, Not Experian...thankfully !
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 13:06

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Sorry people - I happen to work for Experian currently and it is still one of the best employers around. I'm sorry a lot of people are facing redundancy at this time of year and eventually I suppose I might be one of those people. However this is the reality of the times we live in. It's not just Experian making job cuts - check out the news sometime, Doh! oh yes - you'll find that we are going through the worst global downturn in history!!

Don't just have a rant at Experian because you worked here once and you moved on, things change - business has to change to stay relevant. it's still an integral part of the city economy, does a lot of good in the community and IS a decent place to work.
    Lord Sniffle, Sneinton
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 12:46

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I believe that a lot of the comments are undeserved. Looking around at the people they tend to get rid of, around 80% of them are 'Stuck', never going to progress, doing their job alright, but could do better by a younger or outsourced model. The other 20% are in divisions that tend to not produce enough revenue or don't meet future strategic market conditions.

Cost cutting has to be performed across the board, so Talbot and Pinfold have to go, instead of say another 90 jobs, travel policies will change to reduce budget and increase staff retention.

I seem to do alright, but then I've got a modicum of drive and initiative, unlike that 80%. I believe in the 'Garbage In, Garbage Out' process, makes sense really!!

Good luck to those out on there ears. It's a tough market at the moment.
    ForMetoKnow, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 11:35

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Left that awful company 4 years ago when the rot started. It was badly managed back then with possibly the most incompetent slimy slug-like management you could have. Motivated by their own bonuses and misconception they were invincible.

It's a sad time for a company that once employed a strong and creative Nottingham workforce but now thinks it can save a few pennies outsourcing overseas.

I remember when they had a redundancy when I was there - 14 taxis just turned up and escorted people off the premises. nice.

Let this be a lesson to all British companies - try to save a few pennies by outsourcing overseas will kill your business.

Experian will not be around in 5 years time - it'll be bought out or bust.
    Steve N- ex experian and doing well!, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 04-Dec-2008 01:42

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Get treated like dog dirt, place is filthy and theres horrible smell everywhere. toilets are not worth using and the food is unbearable.

Then I get to work and its the same thing there too.
    Uggy, City Centre
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 23:03

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • The Grinch strikes at Christmas (Nottingham version).
    DVD to be out on January the first.......
    richard, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 15:37

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I worked for them 50 years man and boy working 28 hrs a day 8 days a week and all i got at the end of it was advice on dealing with my lack of math skills.
    J D Rockerfeller, Nots
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 15:31

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Is that picture still an Experian office? i thought the people in there worked for the company which bought the Man Sys business? First Data?

You need to sort it out NEP, they are now based in a portacabin in the park and ride.
    eagle eyes, queens drive
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 15:07

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Troubled,
    I got the boot after giving them over 10 years of my life.
    I know other people who were kicked out that had put in longer.
    This isn't the end of the cutbacks I can assure you.
    Before long, there won't be an Experian presence in Nottingham and what few offices they have elsewhere in the Uk will operate on a skeleton staff whilst all essential operations will be outsourced.
    Mr Mojo, Mapperley
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 15:00

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Jan has a great point there, if they can make it an horrendous place to work all the staff will leave saving them £330 ea per years service. This will help pay for the new offices for the bosses, they spent 1m GBP+ on these only last year. Now THAT is cost savings.. ho ho ho, merry xmas!
    ragged trousered phil, The Tip
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 14:52

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Mr Mojo, you obviously don't have enough work to do, or did you get the boot last time! They're watching you!
    Troubled, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 14:33

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Good old Tickle! Took one company to the wall, got a big payout, and Google news reveals he has just got himself a new job as a debt collector at Aktiv Kapital! How appropriate!
    Troubled, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 14:29

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I inserted a loop in some code before i left, every six months it deletes 300 staff from Experian.. ha ha ha. Parot systems will never find it, i hind it under a bush.
    colin cobol, in a processor
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 14:16

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Another thing, are they not making enough savings by getting rid of Talbot House and Pinfold House to avoid laying off staff ?
    Or are we not supposed to know that they're doing that ?
    I might be wrong but without those buildings, I think they'll need to swing the axe at more than 300 to accomodate staff in buildings !
    Mr Mojo, Mapperley
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:49

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • The company reminds me of the story: The Wizard of Oz:

Follow the yellow brick road, Follow the yellow brick road.
    We're off to see the Wizard the wonderful wizard of Oz.

The wizard is All smoke and mirrors, but in reality nothing to write home about. Very similar indeed.
    richard, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:34

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • If this were the last company on earth i'd work down t'pit. even the canteen food is rubbish
    cool hand luke, West brid
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:18

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I worked there as a developer, now that has all gone to India. There's not much left but admin and the managers in Notts now, used to be a big employed until the yanks took over.
    ex notts lad, Sheffield
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:12

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • big brother in big bother? bovvered? destined for trouble as soon as the sub prime market collapsed as most of their customers are sub prime (Exp are the cheap seats of the financial services industry). The problem for Nottm is it's left with what will eventually be 2,500 people who used to work there and will need a new job. Terrible for the city.
    George Orwell, 1 etheral place
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:04

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • hope they go bust
    ex experian, Nottm
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:01

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • They booted me out, now look at them! ha ha ha

luv tickle
    Tickle Pasties, Dole
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 13:00

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Bah, this company is shedding jobs right left and centre. If only they had a football crowd to advise them "you don't know what you're doing" wink.gif
    ludicrous, Nottm
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 12:55

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Experian's staff turnover is dreadfull, I used to work there as a software tester. I was unbelievably underpaid; when one of the team left, he poached the rest of the team shortly after, it was a no-brainer for all of us, same work for double the money!!! It only seems to be management that are paid respectably.

Hope they all find work soon, its heartbreaking to hear about people losing their jobs... and at christmas too sad.gif
    Paul, Nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 12:07

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Very sad for the employees but let's be realistic these were always jobs that existed solely because of the unsustainable debt binge of the past fifteen years.

Now that's over so are the jobs.
    Nick, City
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 10:51

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • Telling staff that 300 jobs are to go in the run up to Christmas and then saying they "don't want to worry people unnecessarily". Also not everyone who will lose their jobs will be consulted in January, so they will be in limbo, not knowing what is happening, for a while longer.

What an awful company!

This will make well over 1500 redundancies in the last two years at Experian but this woman has the gall to say the business is performing well. Come off it!

Just who are they trying to fool?

This is probably just another ruse carried out by firms such as this to force people to leave without redundancy pay.

The report says Expaerrian are based in Nottingham but I thnk you will find their HQ is now in the tax haven of Jersey.
    jan, nottingham
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 10:39

Name *
    Email *
    Additional Comments?
  • I heard this announcement last night on the intranet. Can't say i was surprised, we're not the first company and certainly won't be the last. Feel for the sacrificial lambs, especially in Jan, but in this current climate it was inevitable. Got to commend the honesty though, cost cutting - plain and simple.
    Experian Insider, Sherwood
    Report abuse commented on 03-Dec-2008 10:15

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

There was a report I read in the week about the mobile phone companies suffering as 75% of people going for their glossy adverts are being turned down due to poor credit records and according to an Experian spokesperson 'the mobile bill is the first to go'... I think that is a false statement myself but there you go! Experian are now making themselves suffer a business loss due to their own policies :p

From here:

Our history in the UK and Ireland

.. Our story is one of ground-breaking innovation. Bringing together our core capabilities; information, expertise and partnership, we have come a long way since 1980.

• Experian trace its origins to CCN, an information services business established by our former parent company, GUS

• CCN is the first to develop market and credit scoring in the UK.
  • Launched CAIS, a system allowing consumer lending organisations to share credit account information on individuals and became the UK’s leading credit bureau.

• Produced the first automated application processing system, Autoscore, now known as CEMS.

• Delphi, a bureau based scorecard is launched in the UK. In the same year, Car Data Check, our vehicle provenance database, and Detect our fraud detection product came to the market place.

• CCN changed its name globally to Experian and became a leading global provider of information and decision analytics.

• Experian Truvue, a customer data integration solution, was launched globally.
  • Entered the B2B list market with the launch of the National Business Database.

• CreditExpert, the first online credit reporting service, is launched to consumers in the UK.
  • Acquired the direct marketing arm of Yell Data to become the leading force in business-to-business marketing in the UK.
  • GUS acquired the outstanding stake in Scorex, a global decision analytics company.

• Acquired CheetahMail, an e-mail marketing and customer intelligence solution and QAS, a leading supplier of address management software in the UK.

• Acquired The Future Foundation Group, the leading consumer think-tank and strategic consultancy and Footfall, a leading provider of information and services related to numbers of people visiting retailers, shopping centres and transport locations.
  • Experian is the only UK Company to win the Business of the Year award twice – in 2003 and 2005.

• Acquired ClarityBlue to complement the database management skills in our Marketing Solutions business.
  • Acquired Experian BackgroundChecking.com, specialists in conducting identity checks on job applicants and Experian Payments, a market-leading provider of bank account validation and payment processing software.
  • Experian received four Business in the Community Big Ticks, in recognition of our long-term commitment to improving educational opportunities for people in Nottingham.
  • Our fraud business was presented with the Queens Award for Enterprise, the most prestigious accolade for business performance in the UK.
  • On the 11 October 2006, Experian became an independent company, listed on the London Stock Exchange.

• Acquired Hitwise, an Internet market intelligence company. N4 Solutions, a provider of specialist software for the mortgage and financial planning sectors, pH Group, a leading business to business analytics company and Tallyman, the market-leading solution for revenue management and collection.
  • Introduced Risk Triggers, a daily alert service which flags at-risk customers to lenders so that they can act quickly to prevent loss before they are exposed to it.
  • Developed TrendView, a new segmentation tool that helps businesses to identify new value opportunities with existing customers by monitoring and evaluating their behaviour.
  • On an average day, we process two million credit reference enquiries and we help our clients to make more than 20 billion decisions every year.

On this business day in 2008...

• More than 30,000 credit reports will be produced
  • More than 22,000 mainframe batch jobs will run
  • 90 million online transactions will process
  • 1,500 client media items will be handled
  • 250,000 users will be connected to our services
  • 200 change requests will be successfully implemented
  • 2,200 Automated tape requests will be serviced

...to help our customers make better decisions.

There was a report I read in the week about the mobile phone companies suffering as 75% of people going for their glossy adverts are being turned down due to poor credit records and according to an Experian spokesperson 'the mobile bill is the first to go'... I think that is a false statement myself but there you go! Experian are now making themselves suffer a business loss due to their own policies :p

I agree SG :)

I think this company is responsible for a lot of things that have happened in this country.

From here:

(That's the 'A' page... so thought I'd list the whole lot in one ):

Absolute Contacts Verified contact data for the UK population.

Absolute Movers Identify and keep in touch with your customers as they move.

Age Verification Pre-screen people by age to ensure appropriate offers are made.

Application Processing Next generation customer acquisition.

Asia City Service Forecasting investment potential in Asian cities.

Asset Event Manager Online asset management for the automotive finance industry.

Authenticate Knowing the identity of your customers.

Authenticate for Public Sector Bespoke identity authentication solutions for the public sector.

AutoCheck The next generation vehicle history check.

Automated Property Valuations service Combines property valuation and applicant risk in one simple step.

Autotrace Plus Keep up with customers who try to escape debt by moving.

Background Checking Making sure of the people you employ.

Bank Wizard The enterprise solution for validating bank account data.

Bank Wizard Absolute The only real-time bank account verification service.

Bank Wizard for Balance Transfers Validation of credit, charge & store cards for balance transfers.

Bank Wizard for Bill Payments Bill payment validation for banks and bill payments providers.

Bank Wizard for Card Payments Validation of credit, debit and charge cards prior to authorisation.

Business email data Increase return on investment and decrease campaign costs.

Business Information for Insurance On-line reports for the commercial insurance market.

Business Lists Targeted marketing from the UK's most extensive B2B database.

Canvasse Lifestyle

A database of people known to respond to direct mail.

Car Data Check Comprehensive vehicle history and identity information.

CEMS Customer Event Management System.

2001 Census Understand the demographics and socio-economics of local areas.

CheetahMail Relevant e-mail marketing.

China Research Economic foresight for China.

CitizenView More informed decisions with online citizen information.

Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE) UK insurance industry shared databases of claims.

Clientele Classifying consumers by their drinks occasions.

Club Canvasse A data co-operative for catalogue, online and telephone retailers.

Collections and Recoveries Decision Analytics The complete collections offering.

Collections Information Service Information that enhances the collections and recoveries process.

Commercial Autoscore Automated credit applications for increased efficiency.

Commercial Delphi One of the most predictive commercial scorecards in the market.

Company Information Comprehensive and reliable company documents and information.

Construction Foresight Forecasts and analysis of the UK construction industry.

Construction Industry Focus Market analysis and foresight for the UK construction industry.

Consumer Indebtedness Index (CII) Enabling reasonable lending.

Consumer Market Sizer Local area forecasts of household expenditure for the UK.

Consumer Spending Local area estimates of consumer spending for the UK.

Corporate Researcher Online access to UK and Irish limited company data.

Credit Expert (Business 2 Business) Protecting your staff and your organisation.

Credit Marketing Credit pre-screening to make relevant offers.

Customer Management decision analytics The complete customer management offering.

Data Analytics

Analyse your database and discover real growth potential.

Data Enrichment Enrich your customer knowledge.

Data Hygiene Clean your business information.

Delphi for Customer Management Event monitoring for customer management.

Delphi for New Business Generic bureau scores for customer acquisition.

Demographics Online Online analysis of customers, local markets and locations.

Design & Build Marketing databases built using world-class components.

Detect Combating credit application fraud.

e-consumerview

Access to a world of online consumer information.

Email Marketing Use e-mail marketing for rapid, valuable responses.

E-series Business Accurate business credit assessments at your fingertips.

E-series International Instant, easy access to global business information.

Euroconstruct Analysis and foresight for the European construction industry.

European Property Forecasts Foresight and analysis for the European property market.

European Regional Service (ERS) Local economic foresight for Europe.

Existence Verifier Mortality screening.

Experian Catalist Global information and analysis on petrol and retail forecourts.

Experian Elements Marketing software suite for the whole marketing lifecycle.

Experian Footfall Monitoring shopper visits from the home to the till, worldwide.

Experian Fusion The leading pay-as-you-go hosted database solution.

Experian Intact Online data cleansing managed from your desk.

Experian Payments UK Gateway The UK's leading payment gateway for Bacstel-IP.

Experian Retail FootFall Indices Measuring the performance of high streets worldwide.

Fashion Segments

Classifying UK consumers by their fashion purchasing behaviour.

Financial Market Size Analysing the consumption of financial services throughout the UK.

Financial Strategy Segments (FSS) Classification of financial behaviour in the UK.

Financial Strategy Segments (FSS) Daytime Classifies the financial behaviour of consumers in the workplace.

Fraud prevention decision analytics The complete fraud prevention offering.

Fuel Prices Monitoring fuel price competition throughout the UK.

Future Foundation Understanding and anticipating your customers.

Global Futures

Global economic foresight.

Goad A comprehensive retail occupancy database for the UK and Ireland.

Grocery Catchment Areas Monitoring and mapping the UK's grocery retail footprint.

Grocery Retail Market Share Monitoring and measuring grocery shopping behaviour in the UK.

Grocery Locations Database Monitoring the locations of grocery stores throughout the UK.

Hunter

Application fraud prevention.

iMarketer

High speed, high capacity business intelligence on the desktop.

Insurance Hunter Fraud detection tool.

Insurance Investigator Online fraud investigation tool.

Ledger 360

All your sales ledgers in one single view.

Lifetime Value Score Predict the lifetime value of a customer before you acquire them.

Local Markets Database Forecasting UK local economic performance.

Longevity Risk Segments Measuring life expectancy to understand risk.

Managed Services

Optimising resources to help maximise debt recovery.

Market Size and Share Consumer lifestyle and behaviour information for UK local areas.

Marketing Consultancy Expert consultant advice for powerful marketing integration.

MarketView Online Online automotive market analysis.

Micromarketer Generation3 Geographical information solutions.

Mortality Suppressions Removing out of date contact data.

Mosaic Automotive Classifying vehicle owners throughout the UK.

Mosaic Commercial Classifying the UK's business universe.

Mosaic Daytime Classifying consumers at their place of work.

Mosaic Economics Understand the impact of economic performance on consumers.

Mosaic Global Classifying consumers across the world.

Mosaic Grocery Classifying consumers by their grocery shopping behaviour.

Mosaic Origins Classifying people by their family origins.

Mosaic Public Sector The classification of UK citizens and their public service needs.

Mosaic Scotland The consumer classfication for Scotland.

Mosaic UK The consumer classification for the UK.

Motor Insurance Database The UK motor insurance database.

N4 Solutions

Point of sale and application processing for financial services

National Canvasse UK consumer data file for household and individual level targeting.

Named decision makers database Target your communications with unbeatable precision.

New Property, New Households Forecasting household and property development in the UK.

Notification Services – Triggers Daily management in response to customer events.

nVision Future Foundation consumer trends analysis delivered online.

Origination decision analytics

The complete new business offering.

Perils

Geographical models on natural and man-made risks.

Petrol Forecourt Locations Monitoring and mapping petrol forecourt locations in the UK and Europe.

Population projections Local area estimates of population change for the UK.

Population, age and gender estimates Local area estimates of households and population for the UK.

Portfolio Management Manage your capital and identify credit risk at group level.

Pre-screened Data Target only the most profitable prospects.

Prime Performance Modelling Find more people similar to your most profitable customers.

Proactive Tracing Tracing gone-aways.

Propensity Lists Identify prospects who are most likely to become your customers.

Prospect Locator Online mailing list purchasing.

QAS Batch

Data cleansing from your desktop.

QAS Batch with Suppression Data suppression from your desktop.

QAS Gateway Unlocking the benefits of the gazetteer.

QAS Match Point of entry deduplication.

QAS Pro Capture accurate address details from the outset.

QAS Pro Web Collect accurate contact data via your website or intranet.

Regional Planning Service

Local economic foresight for the UK.

Residency Checker Experian helps local authorities verify single person discount claims.

Residential Property Transactions Local market intelligence on UK's residential property market.

Responsetrack Measuring the mystery.

Retail Price Monitor Monitoring and forecasting retail pricing to improve performance.

RiskPoint Visual risk mapping tool.

Roll Rate Performance Service Industry comparison, portfolio analysis and forecasting.

Score based assessment for collections

Citizen profiling and segmentation in the recovery of council tax.

ShopPoint Monitoring and mapping retail locations in the UK and Ireland.

Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) Database Monitoring new car registrations in the UK.

TrendView

A new way to recognise risk and manage opportunity.

TrueTouch Classifies consumers by their channel and promotional preferences.

UK Construction Forecasts

Economic forecasts for the UK construction industry.

UK Consumer Dynamics Demographic, socio-economic and lifestyle traits of UK consumers.

UK Property Forecasts Economic foresight for the UK commercial property market.

Unclaimed Assets Register A database of UK individuals owed unclaimed financial assets.

Unemployment Statistics Experian’s unemployment statistics extend over six years. We identify areas with endemic unemployment, and those susceptible to recovery or decline according to prevailing economic conditions.

Vehicle Mileage Check

Vital protection against mileage fraud.

Vehicle Parc Statistics Monitoring the universe of vehicle registrations in the UK.

Vehicle Data for Integrators Experian's vehicle data integrated into your products and services.

Whatif?

Analysis tool of insurance premium rates.

Whatif? Direct Analysis tool of internet insurance premium rates.

Where Britain Shops Monitoring and mapping the UK's retail footprint.

CCN changed it's name to Experian in 1997 and my, how it grew!:cool::eek::p

If you sign up for their £6.99 'CreditExpert' service, all of the above is what you're feeding.

It's a data monster. A monster data feeder. :eek:

What else feeds the monster?

Home shopping (ie. catalogues)

Loyalty cards (eg Tesco, Nectar)

price comparison websites, mobile phone companies, telephone shopping, newspaper advert shopping..

Your information. Any information about you.