Train Ticket Disaster

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just wondering if there is any point in appealing a an extra ticket i needed to buy while on a recent journey. Would like your thoughts please.

Scenario

I had a work trip to York for two nights.

I booked the tickets on trainline.com for (what i thought was) outgoing on 2nd and return on 4th.

I picked up tickets from station and did outgoing journey without trouble.

On the return journey two days later, the conductor guy asked for tickets and noticed that i had the wrong date (date on the tickets were for the same day the 2nd). I was gobsmacked, but he was right, the wrong date was on my ticket and my confirmation letter. I obviously fluffed it up while booking.

He suggested to me that i give him my, ID he would then pass info on, and the rail company would contact me. But as i didnt have ID there was no way to prove my address so i needed to buy an extra ticket there on the spot!!!

My initial ticket was only £42 booked in advance.

But this ticket for just the return was £51!!!!!

Do you think i have a chance of getting this money back, if i can prove i did not try to cheat them etc

Thanks for slogging through this question, any help would be great.

Hi heasy. I've tried trainline.com a couple of times and given up on them. I now buy my ticket at the station as it often works out cheaper.

Probably the best bet for you is to contact your train operator for a refund and also make a complaint to trainline. You say you obviously fluffed up when booking - but did you? These website booking agencies are NOT infallible.

Hope you kept the tickets (all three of them) :)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i have all the tickets etc. I could not see the point of complaining to Trainline because obviously it is there on my booking form that the dates were wrong, is there any precedent in them getting it wrong etc?

Also would anybody know the number/email address to contact for the train operator it was 'National Express East Coast'.

Thanks

Hi heasy. I've tried trainline.com a couple of times and given up on them. I now buy my ticket at the station as it often works out cheaper.

Probably the best bet for you is to contact your train operator for a refund and also make a complaint to trainline. You say you obviously fluffed up when booking - but did you? These website booking agencies are NOT infallible.

Hope you kept the tickets (all three of them) :)

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

Just wondering if there is any point in appealing a an extra ticket i needed to buy while on a recent journey. Would like your thoughts please.

Scenario

I had a work trip to York for two nights.

I booked the tickets on trainline.com for (what i thought was) outgoing on 2nd and return on 4th.

I picked up tickets from station and did outgoing journey without trouble.

On the return journey two days later, the conductor guy asked for tickets and noticed that i had the wrong date (date on the tickets were for the same day the 2nd). I was gobsmacked, but he was right, the wrong date was on my ticket and my confirmation letter. I obviously fluffed it up while booking.

He suggested to me that i give him my, ID he would then pass info on, and the rail company would contact me. But as i didnt have ID there was no way to prove my address so i needed to buy an extra ticket there on the spot!!!

My initial ticket was only £42 booked in advance.

But this ticket for just the return was £51!!!!!

Do you think i have a chance of getting this money back, if i can prove i did not try to cheat them etc

Thanks for slogging through this question, any help would be great.

Hi,the ticket you had was out of date and therefore not valid for travel,However the conductor can use his own discretion in what ticket to issue:the cheapest been a cheap day return,( take in to account these tickets are not to be bought on trains),however i have been known to sell them in the past,

• 3 months later...

Hi heasy1,

The Trainline.com are a waste of time, wish you luck but I am still awaiting refund on tickets that were booked with 2 weeks advance and only arrived almost a day after planned date of travel. In fact they were posted with almost 2 weeks delay!

Station staff and train operator issued declarations approving refund yet Trainline.com is as silent as it can be.

Customer Service? centre (wherever they are located) are useless at the best of times, this assuming one can understand them in the first place.

Good luck!