style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondered if anyone could help with this

A bit convoluted but here we go

Have discovered recently that there's been a baliff visit to the house I used to live at regarding unpaid council tax for last year. The amount in question is the bill for the whole year, which was left unpaid for a number of reasons, lack of funds etc. Now in a position to pay all of it off, but having read some of the stuff on here and looking at the correspondence from Equitas and their charges, I don't feel particularly inclined to have anything to do with them. The complicated part of this is that the name on the bill and subsequent baliff notice is that of my landlord, none of the three tenants names are included on it, hence the letters addressed to him were never opened. The baliff has paid one visit to the house already, no one was at home, and was subsequently told by one of the guys who still lives there on the phone that the whole amount would be available very soon. Does the baliff even have any right to return to the house, given that the guy whose name is on the bill does not live there and further has never lived there? Have spoken to the council and they said that they pay the baliffs to recover debt so its a matter between us and them, although that they did mention that they would take the debt back in 'exceptional circumstances'

Right thats enough, thanks in advance for any advice people

If you are now in a position to pay the whole debt, i would offer it to the council. If the baliff does get hold of the landlord who then pays the bill, Iit is likely he will then sue you for the amount plus costs.

Please Click The Scales if I have been of help to you.

Kensington Mortgages withdrawn. no costs

NatWest Settled in full

Abbey Court Settled in Full

Capital 1 settled in full

Halifax settled in full :D

Have spoken to the council today, they seemed to think we have to deal with the baliff, but i'll be speaking to them again tomorrow- might have a wander into the offices to find out, face to face tends to work better in any case. As far as the baliffs concerned, is there any point in contacting him again? don't want the guys still living there to get an unwelcome visit

Have spoken to the council today, they seemed to think we have to deal with the baliff, but i'll be speaking to them again tomorrow- might have a wander into the offices to find out, face to face tends to work better in any case. As far as the baliffs concerned, is there any point in contacting him again? don't want the guys still living there to get an unwelcome visit

If I were you I would either pay the whole lot in full on line or take cash down to the Council Tax Office and offer it to them and get a receipt. I would have nothing to do with the bailliffs, they will only bully you and make your life hell.

They don't know where you live now, so pay it off and wash your hands of it :)