Weird rules about notice period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've rented 5+ houses over the past 10 years and this is the first time that I've come across this particularl weirdness that I'm about to explain:

I went to hand in my notice with the letting agent today. The usual 1 month notice that has always been the case in the past with other properties. The lady at the letting agency said that I would actually have to pay up until the end of December. Her rational being that I pay my rent on the 1st of each month. I can only give my notice at the start of a period of tenancy (ie. 1st of each month). So if I decided on the 2nd of the Month that I wanted to give my notice, I would have to pay until the end of the next Calendar month.

Is this something new that I've missed? Am I out of touch? Can they enforce this? Any ideas what I can do because I really don't want to pay an extra 2 weeks if at all possible?

A tenant's notice to quit can be given at any time, but must expire at the end of a tenancy period; this can be either the first or last day of a tenancy period.

Rent days are irrelevant for calculating notices to quit. Your periodic tenancy started the day after your fixed term ended and the monthly periods are calculated accordingly. Thus, if your fixed term ended on 25th August your periodic tenancy started on 26th August and you can give notice expiring on either the 25th or 26th of the month, even if you pay rent on the first of each month.