Abbey Credit Card while unemployed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

While in the Abbey branch the other day I was offered a "guaranteed" credit card... all I had to do was go to the front desk, apply, and I'd get one...

I'm not employed, but have never been in any financial difficulty, no debts, and no credit cards.

It would be very useful for to use a credit card solely for the consumer protection it affords - I'd be paying off any payment due imediately.

Any chance I'll actually get that guaranteed CC??

Thanks!

Edited by OrangeSquasher

Hi OS,

I would expect the guarantee would be subject to conditions like employment.

However, you could always speak to them at the desk and ask if they think you'd qualify. If they do and you want it for the sensible reason you state, go for it.

:cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Will do. I wonder if this is one of those situations - ie the consumer protection - where the 'poor' are disadvantaged yet again.

Poor? Hey, just realized... that's me... damn!

-

SJ: Money gives a buzz, just like any other drug. Keep yourself safe and housed, and attempt to be sensible, but do not beat yourself up about past mistakes...

Remember the old adage: if you owe the bank ten quid they are mean to you, if you owe them ten million quid they are very, very nice to you.

Take care.

• Haha 1

Hi OS,

Sorry for the hijack of ya thread, but SJ needed responses. :cool:

• Haha 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 4 months later...

Just coming back with an update...

I was in a supermarket in-store branch today [yes there's been a credit crunch since my original post] to put a cheque in, no other customers around, time on my hands... got offered the guaranteed credit card again... so I went for it.

I said I wasn't working.

The lad said that if I'd been offered the card, that had already been taken into account.

He got me to just sign the little form twice, they had all my details on file... and when I came back from shopping, gave me the letter accepting my application for a credit card, up to £2500.

Complete madness...

But, there you go.

Well, it's certainly surprising, bizarre even. I can't even see what's in it for them, really.

Nethertheless, I hope it will come in handy if there's a largish purchase from a company that goes bust without delivering, or similar.

Have to say, though, that I wouldn't have bothered had they not offered.

Edited by OrangeSquasher

PPI?

So you think they might have signed me up to pay an insurance fee?

Can't see anything in the docs to say that - and certainly nothing was said to that effect - but we'll see, I guess.

I do see there's a 'dormancy fee' of £10 every six months...

-

As I said - there's an advantage in Consumer Protection over my Debit Card, but if it turns out that they're [causing problems] me I'll cancel it.

Looks like you got a deal then. ;)

Please use it wisely, like when you need the cover it offers.

:)