Discovering Previous Convictions Of An Individual

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

(Quick Note To Mods..........This is PPC related, I don't want to reveal the reason why I am asking the question or give too much away that it would tip my hand because I know that some PPC's do read these forums, but I am hoping to pick the brains of some of our more knowlegeable contributors)

Is there a way for a member of the public to find out about previous convictions if they know the Court and the name and address of the person involved.

My reasoning is it must be information that is somewhere 'in the public domain' because as a member of the public I could have attended Court that day and learned the outcome, but since I wasn't aware of the case I didn't go.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated

Mossy

Hi lamma was hoping you might pick this thread up.

Criminal (I know the Court it would have been dealt with, I know the full name and address of the individual and I know a rough date).

I'm a private individual (ie member of the public).

Is there a way?

Cheers

Mossy

How do employers check previous convictions? - must be some system one can use!

Employees do it via a CRB check (standard or enhanced depending on what the job involves), these can only be authorised by the actual individual. Likewise a DP1 (Subject access) is only available to the individual it concerns.

Since I am not an employer and this person is not my employee I cannot use that.

Mossy

Yeah I found a few sites that do it for a fee, but you don't get the report until you pay and if it's not the right individual it's money wasted. I don't mind paying the fee if the data is for the correct person.

I was hoping someone would say 'Yes Mossy go to the Court-house and ask for the records room and sit and trawl through all the cases and verdicts in date order'. Guess Not then?

Thanks anyway

Mossy

Yeah I found a few sites that do it for a fee, but you don't get the report until you pay and if it's not the right individual it's money wasted. I don't mind paying the fee if the data is for the correct person.

I was hoping someone would say 'Yes Mossy go to the Court-house and ask for the records room and sit and trawl through all the cases and verdicts in date order'. Guess Not then?

Thanks anyway

Mossy

There is no reason why not. Court records are public documents (however, this does not apply to youth convictions/records).

I am, however, unsure of the procedure. i would suggest contacting a Court (probably not the Court concerned at this stage:p) and inquiring as to the process.

A long shot, perhaps, but have you tried "Googling" the persons name?

I was curious about a man who owns a lot of properties which he rents out - most are "run down" places.

I found that he had two convictions for not having Gas Appliances examined in rented properties.

The cases were brought by Trading Standards, and were reported by them on the Internet.

Worth a go, perhaps?

Sameagle

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

You can try the freedom of information act though. you could get this from any police station as this is public information. For this you need to know of the persons dob,date of hearing and things like that.

The Police will not hold the required information except on the PNC - and an FoI request is not going to get you near that.

The records will be held by HMCS, not the Police

The problem may be relating to how accessible HMCS court records are. I would assume they are now computerised these days, but I am unsure if there is a way for them to search on an individuals name.