Problems with credit ref agencies

davefirewalker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tried to get a "free report" from equifax or experian cant remember which by signing up to the yearly deal then intending to cancel it a week later.

after 3-4 days they emailed back wanting all sorts of ID posting so I canceled.

Friday(14/07/06) I applied online for a single credit report (£2 fee taken from CC)

I got an email today stating that they want my paasport or birth cert and two other forms of ID

they already have my CC info I paid the bill and it was registed here. They can check the electoral roll and I'm on that. the report is coming to the address my cc isregistered at so.....

WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH THEM

seems like an insidious way to get MORE info and have us pay the cost for it

talk about wading through treacle

anyone else had these sort of problems?

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

They are allowed to make reasonable enquiries to ascertain your identity. I would imagine asking for a passport/driving licence and 2 forms of other identification is a bit much though. If your driving licenses has your current address on it I would send that and 1 utility bill back and say that you believe that is sufficient for them to identify you.

Whatever you send make sure it contains nothing of financial interest to them (such as a bank statement or red reminder utility bill, you never know it might just appear on your file.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

I got an email today stating that they want my paasport or birth cert and two other forms of ID

That seems overkill. There is no mention of this requirement on their website either. While they have to take reasonable precautions to ensure the person requesting the file is entitled to it, the demand to see your passport or birth certificate AND 2 other forms of ID is absurd. If you are on the electoral roll they should be able to verify you from that.

Here is what they said.....

Thank you for requesting your credit report. Unfortunately we are unable to process this. We need to make additional checks to ensure that your credit report is being sent to the right person and address. We assure you that the security of your information is our highest priority. In order for us to send you your credit report please send the following documents:

1. Two original documents, dated within the last three months, connecting you to your present address, (e.g. bank statement, mortgage summary, council tax bill, solicitor's letter or a recent utility bill)

AND

2. A copy of, your birth certificate, Passport or Full Driver's Licence (Provisional licences are not accepted). We do not need to see original birth certificates, driver's licences or passports

Any original documentation that you provide will be returned to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I complained that they already had my address from th CC and could look it up on th Electoral roll, and the report was going to the requested address......but

---------------------------------------------------------------------

they wrote back

Thank you for your email dated 17 July 2006.

I would like to assure you that this request for documentation is fully compliant with the legislation under which we operate. Section 7(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998 states:

"A data controller is not obliged to comply with a request under this section unless he is supplied with such information as he may reasonably require in order to satisfy himself as to the identity of the person making the request and to locate the information which that person seeks."

Furthermore the specific documentation we request is in line with the Financial Service Authority's 'Know Your Customer' guidelines.

I know that this is frustrating, but fraud, particularly identity fraud, is sadly on the increase. These additional security measures have been implemented for your own protection.

Regards

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So I sent the info but I photocopied everthing and blanked out everything I considered personal and not needed. I basically left the header with the address's

any account numbers were blanked or partialy blanked.

I am not supplying info to them for free !!

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Yep. Got bored of banging my head against a brick wall and in the end sent them the info to shut them up. Ironic thing was I was already registered at the same address, it's just I hadn't used the account for a while.

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

they did this 2 me...i applied online - 3 times, they took the money - no file, called them up no record of payment!

he said he'd do it on the phone but they would have to charge again..but if i sent in my statements they would refund!...after the application had gone throught he asked for me to post the ID as per the previous mail!

i sent it and a cover letter with the statement - got my file 2 WEEKS later and still no refund (5weeks now)

they suck and there is so much duplicate info on my file its scary - no wonder i have a low-credit history, everything is down 4 times!!!! (and a finacial link with my flat-mate for a bills account shows us linked 23 times - wtf)

i'm going through it slowly and writing to dispute!

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

Tried to get a "free report" from equifax or experian cant remember which by signing up to the yearly deal then intending to cancel it a week later.

after 3-4 days they emailed back wanting all sorts of ID posting so I canceled.

Friday(14/07/06) I applied online for a single credit report (£2 fee taken from CC)

they already have my CC info I paid the bill and it was registed here. They can check the electoral roll and I'm on that. the report is coming to the address my cc isregistered at so.....

WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH THEM

seems like an insidious way to get MORE info and have us pay the cost for it

talk about wading through treacle

Dave

hi dave,

exactly the same thing happened to me, albeit ive been here a year but I am on the electoral roll as i asked the council to send me a letter to confirm to which they have done

makes me so annoyed!!!!

looks like ill have to do the same as you, and send them the details they requested

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Hi blinky

I have put a complaint in to the fsa about this also a strongly worded complaint to experian (much good that will do)

Any how if you send them anything try to censor it IE only leave the address header and the date dont give them any more amunition.

Dave

these extra identity checks are required if there is a CIFAS warning at address.

Ive been through it, so anytime i contact them i always send proofs

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404