Withdrawals of less than thirty pounds must be made from a cash dispenser.

zazen.warrior
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That sounds rediculous. Why can't you withdraw less than £ 30 from Nationwide when it is your money i would creat a stink. you should never be forced to use a cash machine! I never have myself and do not intend to in the future. Contact the manager and give him hell.

The leaflet said if it was for £30 or less, then you have to use a LINK Machine or Nationwide's cashpoints.

Anything over the £30 you can withdraw anywhere..

I had exactly the same letter this morning.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Most places will take a debit card now. If you just need a few quid, then you can still draw a tenner from a machine, but it will have to be a LINK one or Nationwides own.

Most other banks do have the LINK symbol on there machines..

I know it can be a pain, especially for the elderly who do not like carrying a lot of money around with them ..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Just to clarify this is a general change and, when I was there, the briefing suggested this only applied to customers without a debit card. In essence Nationwide made a massive cock up when it rapidly increased the no of current account holders it hand and the costs are massive.

I believe if the cash machine was out of order then you could use the counter.

You also can't get just a mini statement or a balance from the counter. This is projected to reduce counter transactions by 2%. I really don't like the situation where an institution is basically refusing to give you your cash - is there any way to challenge this in terms of legality?

I doubt the local managers are doing anything, Nationwide is on a mission to become more'efficient'. Presumably they intend to act like a bank and get nationalised later on...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

lol.. banks come up with all the bright ideas...

Does this mean cash machines are going to be filled up with cash more often?

Or is this just another tactic to stop customers getting THEIR hands on THEIR money?

Well the explaination we were given was that it is to provide a better service overall.

However my personal opinion is that is is intended to pee off certain customers in the hopes they will take thier business elsewhere. Totally my opinion & not fact at all.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This clearly isn't an across the board ruling and is discrimination against, I would guess, the less well off.

I suppose we should be grateful we were allowed to go to school…

could be worse...

at least we don't have to use separate coins and notes, so the better off don't have to touch money touched by the less off.

maybe thats something for 2009...

I find this to extreme to say the least, I was in my local NW last week and the old gentleman in front of me was greeted with a very curtious "hello Mr ?" from the young chap behind the counter, Mr ? then proceeded to withdraw £5.47, this was not questioned and he went on his way with the said amount. Now please do not think that I am on NWs side, they have charged me £30.00 for an unpaid direct debit even when I was in credit, they paid my rent out, then paid it back in and then charged me £30.00 for the privilege, they have also charged me £90.00 for 3 unpaid bills that were apparently unpaid two months previously and when questioned I was told that they forgot to levy the correct charges at the time but it was down to an administrative error. I wrote to them some time ago asking for all charges to be repaid but just received a letter back that was short sharp and unhelpfull. What is the situation? Can I still go ahead with the request for them to repay me these charges as I could really do with the money and am out of work due to the credit crunch?

All help would be gratefully received, cheers guys.

G5:confused:

I had a letter from Nationwide this morning stating the above. Any thoughts?

Can you not pop into the post office rather than your branch and withdraw any amount you like?

This clearly isn't an across the board ruling

It certainly isn't. I have a Nationwide account and this is the first I've heard about this rule.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Debit card customers are not affected, so broadly speaking it is excluding the less well off (they are more likely to have basic bank accounts) - is this the behaviour you would expect of a building society?

I noticed the other day there is a new slogan on the website 'proud to be a building soicety' a bit late in the day me thinks.

Hi,

Sounds like the same approach Halifax took with the Cardcash (VISA Electron card) accounts, that you can only debit/credit at a machine!

I had a substantial cash credit to make into my account and the young girl gave me the patronising lecture to this effect. In a very loud voice I tyold her that in that case I woukld take my £5K cash to LTSB over the road. The Manager who was in the background never moved so fast to the counter in his life and offered profuse apologies! Money grabbing g**s!

H

Yet to get my letter from Nationwide!

Debit card customers are not affected, so broadly speaking it is excluding the less well off (they are more likely to have basic bank accounts) - is this the behaviour you would expect of a building society?

I just have a basic account as I wanted it as a parachute account and my credit rating isn't the best. Still haven't had the letter.

I had a substantial cash credit to make into my account and the young girl gave me the patronising lecture to this effect.

I must admit that the reason I rarely venture into my branch is that it generally takes about 10 minutes to get served (no matter how long the queue) and often the member of staff appears to think they are doing you a favour by allowing you to bank with the building society.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.