• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

GURKHA PETITION - Please sign it...

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Signed - What the hell is wrong with this government?!!!

This government have an absolute duty to look after the people who have served for this country - ALL service personel regardless of race creed ect, ect, ect.

This government would do well to remember this, and prioritise their expenditure before offering help elswhere such as migrant immergration! - remember 'government', whithout the actions of these service personel, this country would doubtfully be in a position to offer such benifits to migrant immergrants which you currently give!

Reality check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This country is in great need and is long overdue for a government with a sense of reality and common sense!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A message from Joanna re the campaign is available to view here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=InjrGSHMQ2I

Please ask your friends, colleagues and family to sign this petition online or download the paper version and take it out and about with you and collect as many signatures as you can.

Thank you!

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

• 4 weeks later...

Please help Joanna Lumley with this campaign

This should not be allowed to happen PLEASE PLEASE SIGN THE PETiTION

Gurkha Justice Campaign: Let's make a BIG impact this Thursday‏

On Thursday, I will be in Parliament Square, Westminster at 11am before handing in the Gurkha Justice petition.

We've had fantastic support from across the country, and the petition we'll be handing in will be one of the biggest ever collected in the country - in a little over six weeks. Thank you so much for the support.

Our team are sorting the petition ready to hand in, but they tell me any signatures up until Wednesday night will be included. A really big last burst of signatures would be fantastic - please remind any friends, family and colleagues to make sure they sign at Gurkha Justice Campaign before 9pm on Wednesday!

I really hope that, on Thursday, the Government will finally bow to the pressure from our thousands upon thousands of petition signatories from across the country, to the Home Office Select Committee, and to the High Court, all of whom have backed justice for Gurkhas.

If there was ever a time to stand with us, then that time is now.

A really big turnout on the day will really add to the pressure of the petition. It will show how strongly we all feel about righting this wrong. If you can come along to Parliament Square in Westminster by around 10.30am on Thursday 20th November, I would simply love to see you there.

We will be joined by a number of the real stars of the campaign themselves - the ex-Gurkhas who have served our country so loyally. Amongst them will be Honorary Lieutenant Tul Bahadur Pun VC who served with my father, and who has been such a huge inspiration to the campaign.

At around 11am I've been asked to say a few words in Parliament Square, and I'll be joined by other members of the Gurkha Justice Campaign and some special guests are joining us from Parliament. After that, a small delegation will go to Cenotaph and lay a wreath, before going on to Downing Street to hand in the petition.

Finally, we'll return to Parliament Square to thank ALL those who have come to show their support. That will take some time - on Thursday there will be people that have helped the campaign from across the country. I'm honoured they are coming - the commitment of those from across the country on this campaign has been incredible, and I'm so grateful for their support.

So, I hope to see you on Thursday, and that you can make one final push to encourage EVERYONE you know to add their name to the petition at Gurkha Justice Campaign before 9pm on Wednesday.

Onwards! One last big push for our Gurkha heroes, and I hope to see you on Thursday.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna

Gurkha Justice Campaign

Many thanks for posting that bach.

There are currently 130540 signatures.

COME ON EVERYONE - If you haven't signed this petition yet please do it online TODAY and get everyone you know to sign it TODAY - it closes at 9pm tomorrow evening so there's no time to waste.

Gurkha Justice Campaign

GET TO IT! :)

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

done it,these people should not only be allowed to live here they should be payed for the service that they have provided,not too happy about the way some of the french treat our vets either :-x

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D

• 2 months later...

From The Times

January 29, 2009

Britain opens door to 36,000 Gurkha veterans after policy U-turn

Gurkha_476497a.jpg

(Reuters)

The Gurkhas: officials fear for the brigade's future

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

Thousands more Gurkha soldiers and their families will be given the right to settle in Britain under a new policy to be announced by the Home Office.

New settlement rights due to be announced could open the door to 36,000 Gurkhas who served in the British Army before 1997. Nepal is understood to be concerned that the loss of so many citizens and their army pensions could leave a huge hole in its economy.

The Home Office was forced to take action after a ruling from High Court judges in October that the Government needed to review its policy on whether Gurkhas who had served before 1997 could live in Britain.

Officials say that the forthcoming decision has such far-reaching consequences that concerns have been raised about the continuing recruitment of Gurkhas from Nepal.

An appeal on behalf of Britain's staunchiest allies was launched, with the feeling that this was not a request for charity, more of a debt of honour

Related Links

Defence officials have warned the Home Office that if the right to live in Britain were extended to every Gurkha who has served in the British Army Nepal might scrap the 1947 agreement under which its young men have been recruited each year. Since the tripartite agreement was signed with Nepal and India, the Nepalese economy has relied on income coming into the country from Gurkhas serving with the British Army.

The Home Office has come up with certain criteria for settlement that will keep the numbers down without flouting the judgment of the High Court. One Whitehall source said: “We can still meet what the judges want while keeping the criteria as tight as possible. We have no idea at this stage how many will want to come to live in the UK and how many members of their family they will bring with them.”

The MoD denied a report last week that it wanted to scrap the Brigade of Gurkhas because of the potential multimillion-pound cost of paying out bigger pensions to the Nepalese veterans if granted settlement rights.

“We don’t want to scrap the brigade. Five hundred Gurkhas are serving in Afghanistan at the moment,” a defence source said.

Gurkhas are needed, not just for their professionalism, but to boost numbers in an Army that is nearly 4,000 soldiers short. The Gurkha veterans who will be covered by the new policy are those who served in Hong Kong before the handover to the Chinese in 1997. After that date new Gurkha recruits from Nepal were based in Britain.

The MoD’s argument in the High Court case was that Gurkhas serving in the former British colony up to 1997 had no expectation of living in Britain and returned home to Nepal after completing their term of service. Only Gurkhas with strong links to Britain could be considered for residency.

The judges accepted that 1997 was a reasonable cut-off date but insisted that the decision to deny Gurkhas who had served before 1997 the automatic right to live in Britain was discriminatory and illegal. They said that the Nepalese soldiers had displayed the same courage and commitment to Britain as those who had served after 1997.

Gurkhas have fought alongside British soldiers for nearly 200 years — 200,000 fought in the world wars and 45,000 have died in action.

• 2 months later...

MESSAGE FROM JOANNA LUMLEY DATED 28TH APRIL 2009

"Thank you so much for your support of the Gurkha Justice campaign. We are overwhelmed by the support the campaign is receiving.

As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas. The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage.

I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now.

This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg.

Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again.

We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so?

You can send a message to your MP directly at www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support.

If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future.

Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna

www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

This message has been sent to those who have signed up for the Gurkha Justice campaign by signing at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk or on a printed petition for supplying your email address. You can opt-out of further correspondence from the campaign at any time by email to optout@gurkhajustice.org.uk

IF YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED THE PETITION YET PLEASE DO SO.

PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, COLLEAGUES AND ASK THEM TO SIGN UP.

IF YOU CAN GO TO THE DEMONSTRATION ON WEDNESDAY PLEASE DO SO.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

BB :)

Having had the great pleasure of working with Gurkhas occasionally, I am in full support of the campaign.

The United Kingdom owes a debt of honour to these soldiers and their families; the weasel words of creatures like Phil Woolas make one ashamed to be British.

It's a shame that the same amount of energy that ZANU-Labour has expended on trying to stop Gurkhas settling here has not been spent on protecting our borders. This government has failed miserably to protect our borders from illegal immigration and bogus asylum seekers.

The Gurkhas have already made a contribution to the country, unlike so many others who are just a drain on our resources.

Please support the campaign.

Aayo Gurkhali!

Aayo Gurkhali!

Done.

A very good friend of mine served with the Gurkha's in the Falklands and reckons they were some of the finest solders he had ever served with.

To the point he went out to his NCO's village to celebrate the mans wedding

This government should be ashamed :mad:

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hello SP!

SITREP:

On the motion that all Gurkhas be offered an equal right of residence in UK:

Votes for: 267

Against: 246

Government defeated. Outstanding news!

Excellent news.

However, I'd like to know who the 246 were who voted against. A bunch of gravy train warriors no doubt. It's amazing they could still walk, following what must've been an arduous battle in the front line of the nearest restaurant.

Cheers,

BRW

These are the Labour MPs who voted against the government:

Dianne Abbott

Ian Cawsey

Harry Cohen

Jeremy Corbyn

Paul Farrelly

Mark Fisher

Neil Gerrard

Kate Hoey

Kelvin Hopkins

Joan Humble

Glenda Jackson

John McDonnell

Shona McIsaac

Andrew Macinlay

Gordon Marsden

Bob Marshall Andrews

Julie Morgan

Nick Palmer

Stephen Pound

Nick Rainsford

Andy Reed

Linda Riordan

Alan Simpson

Andrew Smith

Paul Truswell

Keith Vaz

Robert Wareing

Mike Wood

I'd have expected people like Dianne Abbott and Kate Hoey to support the Gurkhas, but I was surprised to see one or two of the finest politicians money can buy (allegedly) on the list. I suspect that one or two of the Cabinet would have voted against if they could have, too.

Broon, of course, didn't wait to see the result, but scuttled off back to his bunker. A pox on him and his house.

I confess that Joanna Lumley's 'Ayo Gurkhali!' made me go quite weak at the knees!

Very good news SP :)

Like you say, not the end of the war but a big step in the right direction.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I must say I'm ashamed to see Glenda Jackson on this list.

Having followed her political aspirations from the start, she appeared to have the constituents at heart and then it all fell apart.

The theatre named after her was demolished. Did she care ?

Now it's a block of flats !!

I am soooooo disappointed by her behaviour.

Having met The Gurkhas, I was very touched by how humble they are in the duties they perform for this country.

So pleased to read of the vote today !!

Edited by supasnooper
spelling and correction

• 3 weeks later...

Gurkha Justice Campaign

I think Joanna Lumley nailed Labour after Brown made the big mistake of letting her in to have a cosy little chat.

Her brilliant performance straight after that boxed Brown into a tight little corner from which he had but one way to go...

...to do anything else would've been a complete nightmare. He was completely outmanoeuvred by a considerably more able, attractive and gifted operator. A class act.

I'm sure Gordon was muttering to himself: but, but, but...I didn't say that, and I certainly didn't promise that, or that! What is this woman doing!

By then he was trussed up like a Turkey and his next move was decided for him.

Well done Joanna, she reached in and, with an endearing smile, grasped victory from the slack mouth of defeat. Gordon Defeat Brown never even saw her doing it...that's until he switched on his TV to catch the News!

Cheers,

BRW