Shop wont allow me to use Student Discount card on products that are in a promotion

yaffsimone1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been into a very well known stationary shop to by some stationary. The product i wanted was a BOGOF (buy one get one free) the store offers student discounts but my student card was refused on the grounds that it cannot be used on promotional items.

The big sign that say's 10% student discount does not say anything about promotions.

Where do i stand, should i go back and demand my discount, if so on what grounds?

I am a mature student by the way:p

It is normal practise to exclude discount cards from promotional items. This is usually declared within the T&C's of the discount card, something like, "This card cannot be used inconjunction with any other offer".

Additionally, the shops can refuse to serve anyone without having to give a reason.

It is normal practise to exclude discount cards from promotional items. This is usually declared within the T&C's of the discount card, something like, "This card cannot be used inconjunction with any other offer".

Additionally, the shops can refuse to serve anyone without having to give a reason.

The card doesn't have it own terms and conditions. I can use it in any store that offers student discounts. Surely its the store that should stipulate whether the cards can be used in conjunction with offers or not.

I would imagine that the store will stipulate this in the fine print.

In any event, the point above is key, that the store can refuse to sell to anyone if it sees fit.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I've used my student card plenty of times on promotional offers in Partners, Stationary Box (dont think they exist anymore), Rymans and Woolworths

If its any of then, Ive never had issues

IF there is an issue, the system would generally say when scanning it in.

You mention mature student... any reason they would not believe you're a student (ie: fake id?)

I got that a lot - people were incredulous when they see a 30 odd year old presenting student ID. But in that case surely thehy would just say they dont believe you are a student rather than say the cad cannot be used on certain things?

I got that a lot - people were incredulous when they see a 30 odd year old presenting student ID. But in that case surely thehy would just say they dont believe you are a student rather than say the cad cannot be used on certain things?

I am 30 with 4 kids and a student ID as a mature student, and I have never been questioned :)

I can assure aj84 my id is not fake and maturity was not in question here, they didnt refuse me because of my age, albeit i do get strange looks sometimes when presenting the card!

I have just had confirmation back from Ryman's (i emailed them last night) that they do indeed allow the use of discount cards on promotional items, so the store manager will get another visit from me tomorrow with a copy of the email. I'm not going to purchase anything i'm just going to prove him wrong.

I could just forget it but the whole thing has really bugged me, i can't stand shop staff that give out false information.

• 1 month later...

sometimes I think that some members of staff make things up as they go along to entertain themselves.

For example I filled my car up at a tesco extra the other week and on presenting my clubcard was told in a very snotty way by a spotty cashier "You dont get clubcard points on fuel!!!"

I didnt question it but then next time I filled up at a different tesco - the cashier asked me for my clubcard ... go figure..

sometimes I think that some members of staff make things up as they go along to entertain themselves.

For example I filled my car up at a tesco extra the other week and on presenting my clubcard was told in a very snotty way by a spotty cashier "You dont get clubcard points on fuel!!!"

I didnt question it but then next time I filled up at a different tesco - the cashier asked me for my clubcard ... go figure..

If you still have your receipt I would go into Tesco's and tell them to put the points on your card. They do give clubcard points on petrol see here:

How do I collect Clubcard Points - Tesco.com

Tesco do give Clubcard points on fuel from Tesco Garages, but Tesco extra is not a Tesco Garage its either BP or Shell, thats why you didnt get your points.

I really don't know where you got your information from!

Tesco Extra is most certainly a Tesco garage. It's nothing at all to do with BP or Shell.

Edited by sg1981

In any event, the point above is key, that the store can refuse to sell to anyone if it sees fit.

True, but there are many price marking offences, or offences under the protection from unfair trading regulations, that can potentially be committed where the refusal is because of trying to charge a higher price.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Tesco do give Clubcard points on fuel from Tesco Garages, but Tesco extra is not a Tesco Garage its either BP or Shell, thats why you didnt get your points.

I think you're getting confused with Tesco Express...

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.