Hire Agreement and the Consumer Credit Act

reduk054
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone advise please on the following:

One of my children has been offered music lessons FOC by school, and will be allowed the sole use of a musical instrument for the school year, including bringing the instrument home for practice.

I have received a Hire Agreement form regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, to sign and return to the school.

I am concerned about signing this form, as I am not hiring the item for money, and also not applying for credit. The instrument comes free, as do the lessons.

I am not sure that I should sign this form, but would appreciate some advice. The form does not ask for bank details, just name address and signature.

Any help would be greatefully received! If any one needs any further info in order to answer this one, then I will be happy to provide some more.

Thanks

Red

If there is no money changing hands then it would not be something regulated by the CCA, I believe.

Does it mention payments anywhere? It may be in case there is some breach of the contract - such as your child not turning up for lessons or damaging the instrument, but even then that is not really credit. Maybe its the school / LEA paying it on your behalf?

Can you scan it (sans personal info) and we can have a look at it? or alternatively ask the school why they are doing this. I had music lessons at school and my folks got nothing like that.

Hi gyzmo, thanks for your reply, you were thinking along the same lines as me with regard to the credit agreement side, as I am not asking for credit!

I do not have access to a scanner unfortunately, however I have looked a little further into HP agreements, and I do not think that I will sign the form, as the music instrument owners (not the school), have not put a price onto the instrument value.

While I totally understand that should there be a loss (or sale!) of the item, or damage as not covered by my home insurance policy, then I will be liable to re-imburse the owner, however to sign a form under the Consumer Credit Act, seems unecessary. I hope that my son does not hold this against me, if he ends up being the only one not taking an instrument home, but with previous experiences (most of which not nice) with CCAs, I think that I will play it safe (not play it again Sam! LOL).

Thanks for the reply!

Red

I would have a word with the school about this. I played the French Horn at school (and later) which was provided by the LEA. It was invaluable for me and I am sure music lessons would be a great joy for your kids as well as educational (and also providing lessons in following instructions, team work and mathematics amongst other things) and would be a shame to miss out over something like this.

Ask exactly what the agreement is for and ask for things to be put in plain english (and the same in writing). I am sure there is some misunderstanding somewhere or something not quite intentioned that we think is.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update: Spoke to TS re Hire Agreement / damage to instrument.

Apparently all hire agreements whether finance is involved or not are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act.

Specifically to my post, TS were suprised that no value of the instrument was mentioned, and that I should query this with the company.

Also, all damage to be photographed and logged with the school/hire company.

Photographs/letters/emails all completed. No comment at all from hire company or the school. Not even an aknowledgement of my letter! I must be the invisible woman! Son practising instrument :eek: ear plugs please! LOL