***Please Help Quickly!!!Newbie needs advice on Demotion?***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post so be gentle!

I have been with a retail company for over 20 years as a store manager.At the end of July my Area Manager came in and told me he was moving me to another store which is half the size.He said he would hold my salary for a year and then it would be 'reviewed'.I have been in my store for 4 years the first two were successful but the last two the business has declined however in my opinion due to external trading factors.I raised a grievance as I felt that company procedures had not been followed in managing my performance and the descision has came back that they agree the performance management procedures have not been followed however there is a part in my contract where they can move me 'for career or operational needs' and have upheld the Area Manager's decision to move me.They confirm they would keep my salary the same.

My arguement is that the store they are attempting to move me to is similar to what I ran 5 years ago therefore as the responsibilities are less.This I think is a demotion

Am I right or do I not have a hope?

Many thanks in advance

I dont think thats true BB. The pay COULD drop, and also if job responsibilities are less, then there is clearly a demotion irrespective of pay.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for your comments

MShed's response is exactly where I am coming from as for me it's not just about pay but reduced responsibilities and future career prospects which in my opinion are all affected by reducing store size.

I would appreciate any other opinions

Thanks in advance

I wholly agree kcg - it affects your job prospects if, for example, you applied elsewhere, irrelevant of the pay.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but perhaps it is some consolation that someone at least wholly agrees with your concerns. :)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Whether a sideways move or not in terms of salary, I understand your natural concern over whether this would be deemed a 'demotion' by others within the company. It is widely perceived in the retail industry (and elsewhere) that there are flagship branches given to 'good' managers and 'graveyards' where those who underperform but not sufficiently to dismiss are sent. Sadly it is also true that the company can expect you to move wherever they want, within reason. Much is due to the nature of the retail trade - target driven and with very tough trading conditions often making it impossible to meet them. Retail groups are terrified of having to announce poor trading results and it is normally store managers who suffer first.

As a starting point, your best course of action would be to seek written clarification of exactly why you are being 'asked' to move to another store. You are also free to ask whether this due to any 'failure' on your part to manage the other store, and whether this is likely to affect any future career progression. I doubt whether you will get an acknowledgement that you have effectively been demoted, but you would in that case be in a position to hold them to any assurances which they give should you later find that you are being blocked.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!