Legal Costs that seem excessive

Darren007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are a party of 5 buying the freehold of a property under the Landlord Tenant Act 1985 and have instructed a small London based firm.

We were initially told the cost would be under £2500 but we have paid over £7000 so fare. The Partner dealing with us is charging us at the Partner rate when a secretary could do some of the things he is doing and he is charging us for very long and repetitive emails.

We have said that we only want him to do the bare minimum and do not want long emails but are getting fed up with the ridiculous cost.

We are not provided with a time sheet so we are unsure how the time has added up. We still have not exchanged contracts.

Should I say something now or wait till we complete and then have the costs referred to the Law Society.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask for an itemised bill is all the work done that you requested there?

Take a look at the rules and regulations of the body the partner is a member of what does it say about fee issues?

At any point were you made aware of the huge variation in fees?

It has to be reasonable under the Sale of goods act so if you agreed at £2500 and were not made aware of variances then SSGA can kick into action.

Supply of services: the implied terms

Any service you provide must be carried out:

• with reasonable skill and care;
  • for a reasonable price (unless a price has been agreed);
  • within a reasonable time (unless time is an express term, i.e. when a completion date has been agreed at the time the contract was made).

Hope this helps

I have come across a case that may be of use to you

Reynolds –v- Stone Rowe Brewer

Reynolds v Stone Rowe Brewer (a firm) [2008] EWHC 497 (QB) (18 March 2008)

Just do a search on the internet and you should find summaries of the case to make it easier to understand. I dont know the legal impact of this case.

This case would be applicable to variety of professional fees i would think not just solicitors :confused:

It should say on the back of the bill what courses are open to you if you dispute the bill

Your first port of call should be a letter to the senior partner of the firm (you can just write Senior Partner, Joe Bloggs Solicitors)

advise that unless you receive a substantive response as to why your costs are unnecessarilly spiralling out of control then you will take the matter to the law society legal complaints (you can find the details at LCS: Legal Complaints Service home)

To be honest with you I wouldn't pay any more money over and make sure all complaints are in writing

Thats a ridiculous amount of money for a straightfoward freehold purchase. Not sure of the options(other posters have obviously highlighted above), but just to add in my personal opinion that they are taking the p**s.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!