Guesty vs Barclays COME ON!!

rachaelc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there!!

I have been taking the wonderful advice from this website and have finally decided to act on my partners unfair bank charges, sent the preliminary letter to barclays and got 'Sorry you're not happy, here's £285 of the £735 your claiming to bugger off' so we said 'thank you for the £285, we'll take that for now, but will pursue for the rest, ad if you dont give it 2us, we'll get the interst aswell totla £900!!' sent that letter yesterday, so just waiting 14 days to enter it in to court, then fingers crossed!!

(Of course, i didnt actually word the letters like that!!)

If all goes well with this then we will start with my OH's credit cards - o what fun!!! Ill keep all posted - and thank you all for your help so far!!

Recieved letter from barclays today - 'we are sorry you are not happy with the offer we have made for £285 in full and final settlement - so we'll see you in court'

Im guessing this is the standard letter? Do i just do a money claim online now and add the 8% interest?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

You can do but the better way of doing it would be to pop down to your local court and do it there, then you can enclose a schedule of charges to save any delays. The form to fill in is available as a PDF in the templates section of the library and you can do it on the computer and print it out.

Love the paraphrased letter!

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

They'll defend at last minute with a stock defence - one size fits all so you can pick holes in almost every paragraph.

Be sure to send a shedule of charges directly to Barclays legal peeps after they have filed defence.

If they don't file defence in time, go for judgement by default. They will probably apply for setaside but its all part of the fun :)

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Barclays defence, well there's less holes in a colinder. They will still push all the way until just before court with it. I'm returning the Allocation Questionnairre on Friday.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Standard procedure for Barclays.

The next step is that Barclays will enter a defence, (bless!) :D

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, Have received Barclays defence, and its quite long one – is that normal?1. The particulars of claim are summary and do not provide details or particulars of the account in question and/or the precise charges alleged to have been unlawful, or the date thereof. Accordingly, this defence is summary in nature and the Defendant reserves the right to amend this Statement of Case in due course. It is averred that the Claimant has failed to identify and state any cause of action against the Defendant o establish any legal liability for the sum claimed.2. Notwithstanding the Claimant’s failure to correctly identify and particularise an account held with the Defendant. It is admitted that he Claimant has an account number ******** sort code ******. However, to the extent it is alleged that the unpaid fees for returned cheques, ‘paid referral fees’ or any such fees, the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof of each charge and the date thereof.3. The Defendant is entitled to charge the Claimant for unauthorised borrowings by reason of its standard terms and conditions. The Claimant accepted the same when the account was opened, including (in particular but without limitation) the following terms and conditions(which are summarised);a) The Defendants tight to charge a ‘paid referral fee’ where the defendant pays an amount (either by compulsion or election) which causes the account to become overdrawn - £30 per item (previously £25)b) The Defendant’s right to charge the administrative fee id any cheque, standing order or direct debit cannot be paid because of insufficient cleared funds in the account - £35 per item (previously £30.c) The Defendants entitlement, if the claimant becomes overdrawn without an overdraft limit, to charge interest at the unauthorised borrowing rate on the excess balance.4. The Defendants’ standard terms and conditions give the Claimant a fair and transparent view of those terms and the charges applicable for unauthorised borrowing (including where the Claimant exceeds his authorised overdraft limit.)5. If and to the extent it is the Claimants case that the failure to make necessary breach of the terms applying to the account and that contratuctual entitlement to the debit charges from the Claimants account constitutes a liquidated damage clause, the same is denied. The charges constitute payments the Claimant agreed to make by reason of the terms and conditions of his account and were consideration for the obligation to advance. The Defendant was entitled to impose such charges and interest when the Claimant incurred the overdraft.6. Accordingly it is denied that the legal principles relating to liquidated damages clauses and penalty charges are relevant or applicable to the fact set out above. Further or alternatively it is denied that any such charges constitute unlawful penalty charges or are in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (particularly but without limitations to, paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2), or are in breach of s.4 of the Unfair (Contracts_ Terms Act 1977 (or any other provision) or are unreasonable within the meaning of s.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (or indeed any other provision)7. Therefore, it is denied that the charges were unlawfully debited from the account.8. If and to the extent the Claimant incurred charges on his account, this was caused by the Claimant having gone into overdraft without having agreed with the Defendant to increase the overdraft facility and/or his failure to make payments to bring the balance of the account back into credit and/or to bring the account back within the authorised overdraft limit.9. It is averred that the said charges and interest are and remain lawful and enforceable and that the Defendant was entitled to debit the same.10. The defendant denies that it is liable to the Claimant for the sums claimed and interested as pleased by the Claimant or at all.11. In the alternative, and without prejudice to paragraph 7 above, if (which is denied) the said charges and interest or any part thereof are unlawful or unenforceable as alleged by the Claimant or at all, the Defendant has nonetheless suffered loss and damage as a consequence of the Claimants breach of contract in that the Defendant is unable to rely on its express entitlement to enforce the charges set out at paragraphs 3 to 5 and 7 above, it will seek to recover to the necessarily be limited to the value of the said charges, and the Defendant seeks to set off such sums against any liability owed hereunder to the Claimant. What do I do now????

What do i send to barclays, the court etc?

Also have the allocation questionnaire to fill in, do I have to pay any additional costs as one of the question is ‘Have you attached the fee for filing this allocation questionnaire?’ In the notes it states that ‘If you do not pay this fee it might lead to your claim being struck out.

HELP PLEASE?

Hi Rachael,

I'm just behind you waiting for Barclays to file defense (they have until 28/08/06). Anyway, send a list of your charges to Barclays solicitors, like the list you included with you request for repayment. With regard to the AQ, have a read of some of the other threads, there's a couple that detail what needs to be done, there's also some info in the template section I believe.

Hope that's some help. Keep going!

Barclays

Data Protection Act Request Sent 13/06/06

Statements received 20/06/06

Request for repayment sent 22/06/06

LBA sent 07/07/06

Claim sumitted 22/07/06 £2510.86 total

Claim acknowleged 08/08/06

AQ returned 06/09/06

Court Date set for 22/12/06

MBNA - £348 settled in full

HSBC - £1168 settled in full

cahoot - £100 settled in full

o dear, just been trying to sort out the original table i used to get the charges plus interest ans cant find it, have been playing round with the number (increasing and deacreasing0 the days since offense but i cant get the numbers to match!! Help!!

You need to send a list of the charges you are claiming back to both the Court and Barclays solicitors.

There is a comprehensive guide to filling out your AQ in the templates library but here it is:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[EDITED: PLEASE DO NOT POST LIBRARY MATERIAL OUTSIDE THE LIBRARY, IT IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED USERS FOR A REASON]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You have to pay the Court an additional £100 (include a cheque with your AQ) if your claim is over £1500

Don't panic you have 14days to respond

Hope this helps

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

• 1 month later...

:eek: We have recieved a letter from our local court today for a 'General Form of Judgement or order' it also states 'It is ordered that the claimant has not established the legal basis of his claim and must therefore do so by filing further and better particulars of the claim by 4pm 27th November'

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW? HAVE I DONE SOMETHING WRONG IN FILLING THE FORMS OUT?

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!:eek:

Hey there here are the particulars, any help greatly appreciated!!!

In Respect of:

Amount

Date Incurred

Days since offence

Interest 8% APR

Paid referral fee

£20.00

08/02/2001

£9.09

Paid referral fee

£20.00

12/03/2001

£8.95

Paid referral fee

£20.00

16/05/2002

£7.05

Paid referral fee

£20.00

10/07/2002

£6.81

Paid referral fee

£20.00

08/10/2002

£6.42

Paid referral fee

£20.00

10/10/2002

£6.41

Paid referral fee

£20.00

15/10/2002

£6.38

Paid referral fee

£20.00

31/12/2002

£6.05

Paid referral fee

£20.00

08/01/2003

£6.01

Paid referral fee

£20.00

09/01/2003

£6.01

Paid referral fee

£20.00

13/01/2003

£5.99

Paid referral fee

£20.00

08/05/2003

£5.48

Paid referral fee

£20.00

10/06/2003

£5.34

Paid referral fee

£20.00

19/06/2003

£5.30

Paid referral fee

£20.00

07/07/2003

£5.22

Paid referral fee

£20.00

08/07/2003

£5.21

Paid referral fee

£20.00

09/07/2003

£5.21

Paid referral fee

£20.00

28/08/2003

£4.99

Paid referral fee

£20.00

29/08/2003

£4.99

Paid referral fee

£20.00

04/09/2003

£4.96

Paid referral fee

£25.00

30/09/2003

£6.06

Paid referral fee

£25.00

03/10/2003

£6.04

Unpaid Direct Debit

£30.00

03/10/2003

£7.25

Paid referral fee

£25.00

06/10/2003

£6.02

Paid referral fee

£25.00

07/10/2003

£6.02

Unpaid Direct Debit

£30.00

08/10/2003

£7.21

Paid referral fee

£25.00

04/12/2003

£5.70

Paid referral fee

£25.00

18/10/2004

£3.94

Paid referral fee

£25.00

16/05/2005

£2.79

Paid referral fee

£25.00

17/05/2005

£2.78

Paid referral fee

£25.00

25/05/2005

£2.74

Paid referral fee

£25.00

19/12/2005

£1.60

Paid referral fee

£25.00

04/01/2006

£1.51

£735.00

£181.49

£916.49

Is that what you put as "Particulars of claim" on your court claim?

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

What you seem to have done it seems is to use your "schedule of charges" in place of your "particulars of claim".

You now, as I see it from what the court has sent you, need to send them the correct "particulars of claim", which should read something like this;

The claimant has had a contract with the defendant (Sort Code XX-XX-XX Account Number XXXXXXXtheir (Sort Code XX-XX-XX Account Number XXXXXXXX) since XXXX which is conducted on their standard terms and conditions. The claimant claims the return of £735.00 levied by the defendant in the way of charges over the last six years. The charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2 (1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty, they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. The defendant has been asked to justify the charges but they have failed to do so.

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts

Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 08/02/2001 to [insert claim date] of

£181.49 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of

judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.16.

A schedule is attached which lists the disproportionate fees applied

by the defendant during the last six years to the claimants bank

account.

This should be sent, quoting your case number, along with another copy of your schedule, to both the court and the defendant.

Hope that's the right advice!

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.