Wrong person

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5766 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes, 3 debt collection agencies, Cabot, Hillesden & bookers have put default & arrears details on my equifax report for a debt they all bought off Barclays credit card, they have assumed a guy with the same first name as my second name and we have the same surname & share the same date of birth, i have spoken to barclays and they have sent me a letter appologising and are happy i am not the person the debt collection agencies are pursuing, they also say they are telling the agencies the same. my question is what should i do?

Keep the letter

Wait a while & then get new credit reports to check they have been removed

If you have been refused credit or got credit at a higher rate than expected then you might want to ask for compensation

If they don't remove the incorrect info then you need to take further action - post back here for advice at the time

Many thanks for your reply. This is so frustrating as i have always had a excellent credit history, I have not been declined credit (new mortgage agreed) you would think the cra's would check people against previous addresses or even national insurance numbers in these situations surely i can't be the only one

You're not the only one

I bet that the DCAs will ask for copies of your driving licence etc. If / when they do, don't. They shouldn't. It's against the OFT guidance on debt collecting

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, had a reply from Barclays saying they are sorry that the debt collection agencies have clearly got the wrong person and they have instructed the credit reference agencies to remove this other persons details from my credit file (wonder if its that simple) they also enclosed a cheque for £100 to cover any costs i may have had.

Yes and said they were getting the wrong details removed from my credit files, however it wasn't barclays that put them on it was the debt collection agencies so i'm not holding my hopes up but i've spoken to them all and they are happy i'm not the person in question. i really think they should be more thorough with their checks though.