"Do not sign"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've noticed in several places that people are advised not to sign letters. Other than in cases of "please supply a specimen signature" do we have any hard evidence of banks and DCAs forging documents by scanning the signature from a letter? Name and shame as you wish as long as it is known to be true, as it is certainly in the public interest to know if companies are operating unlawfully.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I don't know of any cases myself - perhaps it has become an urban myth.

Given the propensity of DCAs for obnoxious behaviour this does have very convincing aura of believability

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I don't know of any cases myself - perhaps it has become an urban myth.

Given the propensity of DCAs for obnoxious behaviour this does have very convincing aura of believability

"Aura of believability" would not sit well with the authorities should someone get into trouble.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I've noticed in several places that people are advised not to sign letters. Other than in cases of "please supply a specimen signature" do we have any hard evidence of banks and DCAs forging documents by scanning the signature from a letter? Name and shame as you wish as long as it is known to be true, as it is certainly in the public interest to know if companies are operating unlawfully.
I saw a few threads where people sais that their signature had been lifted because their signature had changed over the years for whatever reason. There also was an article as well as a thread about a CAG user whose agreement had been doctored with a leaked memo (I think) from the perpetrators congratulating themselves on doing so.

I really can't remember who and which company, but no, I don't think it is an urban myth. Maybe the easiest way to find the info would be to search the media forum, or otherwise search for "Frankenstein", it might bring up a few threads. That's the best I can suggest, sorry. ;-)

I think Bookworm is right, I am as sure as i can be that there are threads on here somewhere that say that the signatures have been forged to make a S77 & S78 request look enforceable.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

I have a copy of the memo.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Guest Old_andrew2018

To be quite honest I too thought it to be a urban myth, I got one of our IT staff to attempt it with my own signiture the result was frighteningly successful.

I've sent two cheques recently with unsigned CCA requests I don't expect they have these agreements.

Should they send the agreements I will closely scrutinise the signature, it would be amazing if they are similar to those on the cheques, my brother who has the same initial signed them.

I've sent two cheques recently with unsigned CCA requests I don't expect they have these agreements.

Should they send the agreements I will closely scrutinise the signature, it would be amazing if they are similar to those on the cheques, my brother who has the same initial signed them.

This is why the use of postal orders is strongly advocated. Or getting someone else to write the cheques and you reimbursing them.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Just digressing - but only slightly!

Old Andrew, you mentioned that your staffs' attempt to 'lift' a signature were 'frighteningly successful'. Did you experiment at all with one of these new-fangled gold (or silver) ink type pens? I'm interested to hear how writing with those would scan.

Guest Old_andrew2018
This is why the use of postal orders is strongly advocated. Or getting someone else to write the cheques and you reimbursing them.

True that is why I get my brother to issue a cheque, I'll do the same for him, when he sends his CCA requests.

Andy

Guest Old_andrew2018

Gold or silver pens I sure one of the youngsters in the office will have one, I'll try that and get back to you, I am aware that one of our staff wrote on a document with a yellow highlighting pen and that would not photocopy, not sure why, the result is we can only use black ink now.

Edited by old_andrew2007
typo

I have a copy of the memo.

May we see it? Suitably anonymised to remove the name of the customer, preferably still bearing the name of the agency responsible. Plenty of ways to post it up anonymously should anyone wish to do so.

Another trick that I recall from way back is to use medium-dark red paper for your letters. Humans can read writing and typing on this but photocopiers and scanners can't distinguish the text from the background. But that was in the days before colour scanners.

I will post an excerpt, as I believe there was a lot of controversy previously.

Extract.jpg

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

I will post an excerpt, as I believe there was a lot of controversy previously.

But that document doesn't actually say they lifted the signature (although they recreated all the other bits). Obviously illegal (forgery).

If it ever came to court I wonder what they would produce.

Indeed - that doesn't look like the sort of thing I was thinking of, though it raises another concern entirely.

A cheque for a small amount of £1.00 is not scrutinised by the bank when they honour the cheque, you could actually sign more or less any thing on your cheque and it would be cashed with no questions asked.

Knowing that I have signed a cheque for a CCA request with a totally different signature to my own, the out come was, cheque cashed, 'sorry the agreement no longer exists we have closed this account', (so I didn't have any takers :rolleyes:) As already posted by Old Andrew, getting some one on your behalf to provide the cheque, brother with same initial, very clever, old Andrew.:cool: Another idea is to get your spouse to provide and sign the cheque for your CCA request, hilarious outcome if the spouses signature was to turn up some where, instead of yours.

I think the point is, that if this major bank (from memo) are prepared to "create a true copy" then it is only prudent not to supply a signature.

I worked for a furniture retailer in the late seventies, the top salesman at the time spent all day Saturday booking orders, and all day Monday forging signatures on the credit docs. I kid you not.

A to Z index